PDA

View Full Version : Shuter Speed

Nikkie
06-06-2011, 4:29pm
this is one thing that confuses me. On my camera I know where to find the ISO and the f# but I don't know for the life of me how to know what my shutter speed is I have been hear reading a lot about this in the past couple of weeks what shutter speed somebody took that photo on but for the life of me if I was asked that I would have to look like a dill and say I don't know I don't know where to cheek it is the reading in my view finder or where I have read my book but I still don't get it so if you can in layman's terms would prob best if you can. Or how to change it for that matter so how do I know what speed I am shooting at.thank you in advance :o sorry silly me I have a Nikon D3100

I @ M
06-06-2011, 4:33pm
From the AP library ---- http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Experimenting_with_Shutter_Speeds

As for how to change it on your camera, please let us know what brand and model you have and someone will point you at the right dial / button. :)

fillum
06-06-2011, 5:02pm
When you look through your viewfinder near the bottom left you will see a little F with a number after it - that is your current "aperture" or "f-stop". just to the left of that will be another number - that is your current shutter-speed setting. If it shows 60 the shutter-speed is 1/60 second, 250 is 1/250th of a second, etc. If there are quote marks like this " after the number it means the shutter-speed is now in seconds, so 3" means 3 seconds, whereas a 3 by itself means 1/3 of a second.

How the shutter-speed is set depends on what mode you are in - if you are in auto-mode the camera sets both the aperture and shutter-speed for you. If you are in aperture priority "A" mode you use the command dial to set the aperture and the camera selects the correct shutter-speed. If you are in shutter priority "S" mode you select the shutter-speed with the command dial and the camera selects the correct aperture. Note that there are limits to aperture and shutter-speed and the camera will sometimes show "HI" or "LO" for shutter-speed or aperture if the limits are exceeded. (I've assumed your D3100 works like my D50 in this respect, but check you manual to be sure).

Trying some of the exercises in the New To Photography forum will help you get your head around all this stuff.

Cheers.

ricktas
06-06-2011, 5:13pm
what camera are we talking about here? It can help us give you more precise answers if we know the camera brand and model. My guess is a Canon. Cause canon mark the shutter speed as Tv rather than S, which can be confusing if you are looking for S.

Nikkie
06-06-2011, 5:20pm
From the AP library ---- http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Experimenting_with_Shutter_Speeds

As for how to change it on your camera, please let us know what brand and model you have and someone will point you at the right dial / button. :)
LoL I meant to put that information in but was called away at the time and when I came back I just forgot about it silly me :lol:sorry people

Scotty72
06-06-2011, 5:22pm
You still didn't tell us?

Nikkie
06-06-2011, 5:31pm
You still didn't tell us?
yes I did Scotty I edit my post its right at the end of the post any way its a

Nikon D3100

Nikkie
06-06-2011, 5:38pm
When you look through your viewfinder near the bottom left you will see a little F with a number after it - that is your current "aperture" or "f-stop". just to the left of that will be another number - that is your current shutter-speed setting. If it shows 60 the shutter-speed is 1/60 second, 250 is 1/250th of a second, etc. If there are quote marks like this " after the number it means the shutter-speed is now in seconds, so 3" means 3 seconds, whereas a 3 by itself means 1/3 of a second. Thanks for this reply that is where I thought it was but mine just say's 0 with the little lines "0"""""" and at the end it has a arrow but no matter what setting I have it on it still says the same 0"""""' the 0 does move along the little """""" but no number

How the shutter-speed is set depends on what mode you are in - if you are in auto-mode the camera sets both the aperture and shutter-speed for you. If you are in aperture priority "A" mode you use the command dial to set the aperture and the camera selects the correct shutter-speed. If you are in shutter priority "S" mode you select the shutter-speed with the command dial and the camera selects the correct aperture. Note that there are limits to aperture and shutter-speed and the camera will sometimes show "HI" or "LO" for shutter-speed or aperture if the limits are exceeded. (I've assumed your D3100 works like my D50 in this respect, but check you manual to be sure).

Trying some of the exercises in the New To Photography forum will help you get your head around all this stuff.

Cheers.

I @ M
06-06-2011, 5:46pm
That makes it a little clearer.

In Auto ( AUTO ) or Program ( P ) or Aperture Priority ( A ) modes ( set on the top dial of the camera ) you have no control of the shutter speed.

If you set the top dial to Shutter Priority ( S ) the rear command dial will alter the shutter speed as you turn it.

If you set the dial to Manual ( M ) the rear command dial usually adjusts the shutter speed and when the exposure compensation button is pressed and the rear dial is turned whilst holding down the exposure compensation dial it adjusts the aperture.

This info is generally easily found in your user manual -------

Nikkie
06-06-2011, 6:14pm
wow it was there in front of my eyes now I just have to learn to read and understand it thank you so very very much thanks

ameerat42
08-06-2011, 7:40pm
I read it in your introductory post. Gee there is was.
Am.

Nikkie
09-06-2011, 5:30am
Yes ammeera that was my very first shot of actually going on the purpose of trying to find things to shot I ,m very appreciative of all the help I have been finding on AP and do need all the help I can get as you can see. I will and do take every bit of information on board for sure I hope one day I will post some photos and I see (Nikkie) your improving I don't expect that to happen for a long long time to come but hope I have not left this all to late in life but as the old saying goes never too old it might just take longer :D I never I never expect to have the Oh wow factor there for me but loving what I am doing love and always for many years loved photography but most of all love learning and trying yesterday was great fun sometimes frustrating but that just makes me try harder and keep on keeping on