PDA

View Full Version : Canon 17-40 Bubbles ?

accesser
03-06-2011, 7:25pm
I've had my 17-40L for quite some time just recently I've noticed what look like Bubbles under the lens front element.

I take care of it the lens spends it life inside my Camera bag when not in use and it appears to be focusing ok.

Anybody found this kind of thing inside any lenses before ? it does not appear to be causing any problems

pmack
04-06-2011, 9:19am
damm, I'm assuming you've cleaned the front element before taking this photo? (it doesn't look it)
No idea what it is. Perhaps the bubbles could be trapped moisture? Are these bubbles everywhere or just the things on the outside diameter around the bottom of the pic?

accesser
04-06-2011, 12:09pm
Yes it could use a clean :o its made to look worse from the light I was shining directly onto it for this quick pic

Anyway the I showed a few people today at a meet-up and moisture was one of the suggestions the bubbles are only around the outside diameter of the lens body/structure

Dwarak
07-06-2011, 10:32am
Hello Jason

I guess it's moisture trapped inside I have never seen it myself but it's what you said made me think its def moisture if you keep it inside the camera bag I think it's wise to invest in a dry box not sure what to do now after the moisture has made it's way in.

pmack
07-06-2011, 7:58pm
yeah not sure how you can get the moisture out, i doubt putting it in a sealed box with rice would help but you could always try.
Actually being a bit more creative, the lens is weather sealed so you're not gonna get water out without dissassembling it, but what you could maybe try is putting it in an airtight glass container, add some rice. Then heat up your container with a hair dryer or putting it in sunlight. If you're lucky the moisture might evaporate into suspension with the air inside your lens, and then this air may be able to escape outside the lens, leaving you with dryer air inside the lens.
Worst case (other than burning your lens with a hairdryer), is that the water droplets may reform in the middle of the front element and cause more problems for you.