PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Flash unit

Bennymiata
02-06-2011, 12:07pm
I need to get a 2nd flash for doing product shots.

I have a Canon 60D and a 580EXII unit, but need another unit to do some fill on the side.

While I love my 580, I don't need such a strong and sophisticated unit just for some extra fill light as the 580 is used for the main lighting, and was thinking of saving money and getting a Metz or Nissin or similar.
As it will be left at work, most of the time, I don't want to pull what remaining hair I have out, if it gets dropped or damaged either.
However, I do want the new flash to work wirelessly with the Canon built-in wireless. This is a MUST.

Do any of you learned people know which flash, apart from the Canon range, will work wirelessly with my camera?
It doesn't need to be very powerful, and I'm trying to save pennies right now, hence wanting to go to an aftermarket brand.

agb
02-06-2011, 1:05pm
I have just bought this one. I have not yet checked it out, but it is supposed to do the wireless slave and master. I think I got a reasonable price from maxsaver.
http://www.nissindigital.com/en/di866mkii.html
And the manual.
http://www.nissindigital.com/files/en__di866c_users_manual_c0310rev.1.0.pdf

Bennymiata
03-06-2011, 3:08pm
Thanks AGB, but i just need a basic unit, so I ordered the Nissin Di466 for only $117.00!
This seemed to be good value to me as it says it works wirelessly with Canons, but only as a slave, which is exactly what I wanted as I also have the 580EXII, which is the master.

flame70
03-06-2011, 5:16pm
Tell us how it works out as i might go down the same route for some slaves- Cheers

brindyman
03-06-2011, 5:25pm
Tell us how it works out as i might go down the same route for some slaves- Cheers

+1

Bennymiata
06-06-2011, 2:43pm
So, the Nissin flash arrived today.
Had a quick squizz through the instructions, stuck 4 freshly charged AA's into it and took it down to the studio to give it a go.

It worked perfectly.
Did a minor adjustment to the output, so it wouldn't be so powerfull, and voila! Perfect side lighting.

It also has a built-in diffuser and reflection plate, just like the Canon 580EXII and is very easy to adjust or put into 2 different wireless modes.
I had it facing away from the camera and other flash, and it still worked fine.
Mind you, with the white walls, the other flashes would have set it off, but I'm very happy with how it works and how quickly I had it up and running.

The flash also comes with a nice little plastic stand, that has a thread in the bottom of it so you can mount it on a tripod without any other accessories.

I also tried it on the camera, and it worled well there too.

For the money, you can't go wrong IMHO at least.

I ordered it on Friday morning, and it arrived in this morning.
Pretty good service!

They also have this flash for Nikons as well.

agb
06-06-2011, 3:53pm
That was quick. Good to hear that you are so far happy with your purchase. I am still struggling to get to grips with flash so I have not yet used my Di866II . I must get myself sorted .:o

achee
06-06-2011, 4:55pm
For anyone else considering Nissin as a slave flash... I think that for similar specs *except* TTL you can get a Yongnuo for a fair bit cheaper. (Can anyone confirm / disagree?) I have a Yongnuo YN-560 and it works very well, but it doesn't do TTL. If you're just using it in manual mode you don't need TTL, so consider a Yongnuo. They seem to be pretty popular among strobists - you'll find a fair bit of talk about them if you search.

Having said that, I need a TTL flash, so I'm thinking of getting a Nissin Di-622 II.

Bennymiata
07-06-2011, 11:58am
I took the Nissin home last night to give it go under "normal" conditions, and the metering was perfect.
I tried bouncing it off the ceiling and also on some flowers outside in the dark, and every shot where I let the flash stay on auto was just about perfect, so the ETTL does work on this cheap flash.

There are 2 things I don't like about it, however.

When you are in the dark, the coloured LED's on the back of the unit are blindingly bright, and the flash doesn't remember your settings when you turn it off.
Whenever you turn it on, it goes back into normal ETTL mode.

Guess you can't have everything for $117!!

Pjay
23-06-2011, 7:53am
Please share the source for your Nissin and thanks for the feedback:)

agb
23-06-2011, 8:49am
He possibly got it from where I did , in my first post.
http://maxsaver.net/Nissin.aspx

Bennymiata
23-06-2011, 7:10pm
I bought it from Top Buy.
Ordered on Thursday and got it it on Monday. :)

It's still working well too.

dvalentine
27-06-2011, 7:33am
Sounds like its worth a try. I've been using a Yongnuo YN460II along with their RF602 triggers which has been fantastic for a cheap-ass setup, but no E-TTL. or Canon wireless. I'm looking to expand so will check the Nissin out. Thanks for the info :-)