PDA

View Full Version : Geo Location for Pentax (GPS)

Kym
02-06-2011, 11:14am
http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2011/06/pentax-imaging-company-announced-pentax.html

Yvon reports:

GOLDEN, CO. (June 1, 2011)…PENTAX Imaging Company announced the PENTAX O-GPS1 unit designed for recent PENTAX digital SLR cameras. This new, versatile GPS unit tracks both basic geographical and celestial body location data for both earthbound and astrophotography purposes.

Mounted on the hot shoe of select PENTAX digital SLR cameras,* the O-GPS1 unit records latitude, longitude, altitude, and universal time coordinated (UTC) of shooting locations with captured images. Image files with this GPS data may be used to track shooting locations and review location data on a personal computing device. The GPS location data also helps sort and file recorded images.

* Compatible models are the K-5, K-r and 645D (as of May, 2011). Some of the O-GPS1’s functions may not be available when used with the 645D. Compatible PENTAX digital SLR camera bodies must be updated with the latest firmware version for proper O-GPS1 functionality.

Read more:
http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2011/06/pentax-imaging-company-announced-pentax.html

Great news!!

Kym
02-06-2011, 11:24am
Specs etc. http://www.pentaximaging.com/accessories/GPS_Unit/

David Kembrey
02-06-2011, 11:35am
Been wanting one of these for ages, almost ready to buy a P&S with it built in

Kym
03-06-2011, 10:49am
More info.... http://photorumors.com/2011/06/01/pentax-to-announce-a-new-gps-unit-for-dslr-cameras-o-gps1/

TYPE: Hotshoe mounted accessory GPS unit
SUPPORTED CAMERAS: K-5, K-r, 645D (as of May, 2011)
RECORDED INFO: Lat, Lon, Alt, Time (UTC), Direction
GPS RECEIVER: 50 Channel Tracking, Supports SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS)
ACQUISITION TIME: Approx 40 sec (cold), 5 sec (hot)
POSITIONING INTERVAL: 1 sec
GPS ACCURACY: 10m RMS
DATA FORMAT: NMEA-0183
GEODESICS: World Geodetic System (WGS 84)
ELECTRONIC COMPASS: Accuracy: +/- 5° (precise calibration)
Positioning Interval: Approx 8X
Reference Direction: True North

DIMENSIONS: 1.9 x 1.3 x 2.3”
WEIGHT: 1.8 oz (wo battery), 2.2 oz (w battery)
POWER SUPPLY: 1x AAA battery (lithium, NiMH, alkaline)
BATTERY LIFE: Approx 12 hrs (normal temp) w lithium (9h, 0°)
Approx 7 hrs (normal temp) w NiMH (5h, 0°)
Approx 7 hrs (normal temp) w alkaline (4h, 0°)

NOTES: Single AAA battery not included. Use of the O-GPS1 is restricted to PENTAX DSLR cameras that specifically support it via firmware (see list of compatible cameras above).

The PENTAX O-GPS1 unit will ship in July 2011. It is available for pre-order now on www.pentaxwebstore.com for $249.95 USD. More information is available here: www.pentaximaging.com/news.

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2011/06/01/pentax-to-announce-a-new-gps-unit-for-dslr-cameras-o-gps1/#ixzz1OAKs1kg6

arthurking83
04-06-2011, 11:46am
I just read the quick features list on DPR, and I like the star tracking function it allows via the use of the SR system.

I'd be curious to know how long the maximum exposure would be(obviously restricted to the maximum movement allowable in the SR system at any given time, but as I find star trails a bit ho hum most of the time.
I prefer pin sharp, brilliantly exposed astrographs myself, and this unit combined with a Pentax DSLR is just the ticket(if it works as advertised that is).

They reckon about $250 for the unit, which to me sounds pretty reasonable.
(Nikon's over inflated GP1 GPS recommends at about the same figure, for far less features and no separate power supply, which means that the camera battery drains 4 times faster)

The only negative point I can see about it, is the hotshoe only mount. Makes it hard to geotag images if you also need to use an external flash. And it doesn't specify if the camera's flash is operable if the GPS is attached too?

Analog6
12-06-2011, 5:50pm
"Pentax, has just announced the O-GPS1 unit, a versatile, weather-resistant GPS unit that tracks both basic geographical and celestial body location data for earthbound and astrophotography purposes. "

See link here (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/06/pentax-announces-gps-unit-for-dslrs.html)

My intention to seriously consider the K5 for a DSLR system when I get a bit of $$ just got a BIG boost with this news. Geographic AND Celestial. I'm impressed!

I've merged the the threads

JM Tran
12-06-2011, 6:03pm
my only concern with this, as voiced by others as well - is the hotshoe mount - as some photographers might have the need to mount a flash or external mike or triggers etc on there already, and need it for the shot they will take to go hand in hand with the GPS logging......but at least its much more affordable now than before!

crf529
12-06-2011, 8:25pm
I suppose the big thing for GPS from my view is travel, which an external flash isn't really used at all for, so I can't see it being a deal breaker. But if this celestial tracking works as advertised then this is going to be one seriously cool and useful bit of gear...

arthurking83
13-06-2011, 6:19pm
I suppose the big thing for GPS from my view is travel, which an external flash isn't really used at all for ......

Fair call, but a limited point of view!

GPS isn't only used for travel, in fact PGS used for travel can generally be done using software, as there is a greater likelyhood that in the course of this travel photography the majority of the sites will be popular tourist locations which are subsequently easily found on a map and hence quite easy to geo code from the known position on a map.

BUT!! think of the professional nature macro photographer who stumbles upon a new plant species in her travels and requires both the use of the GPS AND a flash to effect a correct exposure of this new plant.
of course the dilemma is quite easy to solve, in that she simply takes one reference image with the GPS coordinates and simply adds this info to the others in the series via software, but then uses the camera hotshoe for the purpose of flash photography.

I still am of the opinion that the stupidest omission on every DSLR camera today is a simple bluetooth chip for wireless connectivity.
Thirdparty manufacturers have shown that they can be quite cheap to do, and in an external manner too mind you, and the uses of such a feature could be endless .. eg. remote release, GPS, simple connectivity to a computer for whatever reason(such as celestial tracking! :D) .. etc.

I thin there are a few compact P&S cameras with Bluetooth connectivity. A big burly DSLR surely must have a teeny amount of room ion there somewhere for a teeny weeny sized Bt chip!? :confused013

Of the wired GPS solutions currently available, so far Pentax is the leader in terms of form/function, just the inclusion of a AAA battery to power the GPS is so much smarter than Nikon's camera powered short sightedness.

Wizofoz
15-06-2011, 3:29pm
Looks interesting, another geegaw to add to my camera bag...

Falcons
22-06-2011, 1:12pm
There is a new firmware update for the geo tagging accessory here is link for k5
http://www.pentaxforums.com/Pentax-K-5-Firmware-1.10