PDA

View Full Version : An upgrade to 7D question

BecM
01-06-2011, 3:39pm
I am going to be in the US next week and have a long list of things to buy at B and H. I currently have a 50D that my father left to me when he passed away. I have really only been shooting without 'pointing and praying' for a couple of months now so I really am a basic beginner. I love taking landscape, sunsets, sunrises and 'street shots' (a bit of hockey on a Saturday morning as well).

I have always thought I'd stick with the 50D for a couple of years and then when I've beaten it to death pick up a better body. So here's the thing, the dollar is SO good against the US dollar at the moment, I can pick up a new body for $1600 and sell the 50D. I have been doing a lot of research and the 7D is such a good body, some people say its miles better than the 50D others, well the jury is out. In the end I do know it is what is behind the camera not the camera itself.

What I am trying to ask is if you had a 'good' photographer do you think you can tell that a photo has been taken by a 50D as opposed to the 7D. Is it worth making the investment now with the dollar so good? I love my camera and really I can't even take a good photo yet so I know I am jumping the gun.

piXelatedEmpire
01-06-2011, 4:04pm
It really depends on how happy you are with your current set up and if you feel it is limiting your ability to take the photographs you want.

You may be better in investing in new/better glass (lenses) as opposed to a new body. What lenses do you currently own?

Tannin
01-06-2011, 4:04pm
No.

The image quality delivered by the 7D is about the same as that delivered by the 50D. (I own both.)

If you really want to spend some money, tell us about your lenses and flash and tripod and head.

BecM
01-06-2011, 4:26pm
I have two very good lenses the Canon efs 17-55 and the Canon ef 70-300, am about to buy the canon 10 - 22. I don't NEED to buy anything else (let's not even touch the want to section lol). It was really just about if I should invest in the 7D while the price was so good.

Tannin, you have said what I want to hear which is the quality between the two is the same, which means I don't need to upgrade.

Tannin
01-06-2011, 4:55pm
Bec, there is a difference, but it is very small and not worth worrying about. Hell, for most normal sorts of photography there is no difference worth talking about between the 7D and my ancient 20D. (Birding is different, obviously.)

There are bigger differences in non-IQ factors, such as the cumbersome but nevertheless vastly better focus system, weather sealing, and build quality, but these don't add up to a good reason to spend $1000+.

If, on the other hand, you were talking about starting from scratch (i.e., you didn't already have a 50D), then I'd recommend the 7D for sure. It is the better of the two cameras and worth a few hundred more - but not worth junking a perfectly good 50D for.

BecM
01-06-2011, 5:03pm
Tannin, thank you, I appreciate the advice.

My fear was when I did start producing better photo's I would regret not spending the money when I had the chance :) The things you have mentioned (in the difference) will, I am sure, matter to me in a few years time, but for now I will stick to my 50D and continue to try and remember to do more than point and pray :)

Scotty72
01-06-2011, 5:39pm
Tannin, thank you, I appreciate the advice.

My fear was when I did start producing better photo's I would regret not spending the money when I had the chance :) The things you have mentioned (in the difference) will, I am sure, matter to me in a few years time, but for now I will stick to my 50D and continue to try and remember to do more than point and pray :)

Tending to agree with Tannin on this.

Doubtlessly, the 7d is a better camera but, I guess you want to know is it so much better that you should spend hundreds on a change-over.

Firstly, could you look at 2 photos and tell which was taken by a 50d and a 7d: I very much doubt it... Or at least, there are at least a dozen other important factors to consider before I would consider this.

The benefits (as I see them) of a 7d over the 50d:
A few more megapixels... not a huge deal
A few more shots per second... maybe a big deal for sports but hardly for landscapes
Less noise... better high ISO performance (do you normally do a lot where you need high ISO?)...
Better built, weather sealing is better. (are you likely to use it in drizzle / are you a little rough on your equip)
and I think the AF system is a little better.

If I had the 50d, I really don't think I could justify the expense (unless it is the 'new toy' feeling needing to be satisfied)

I honestly think you'd be better off getting yourself I good landscape eg. the sigma 10-20 (around $700) (for eg) or even a good all-rounder like the 24-105 L (about $1700). If you don't have a flash, get a 580EX-II ($500-600) (or a generic equiv) or even a super-steady tripod ($300-500).

I really think you'll notice improvement from these things more than a slight body upgrade.

Scotty

Tannin
01-06-2011, 6:00pm
I agree with Scotty agreeing with me. :)

BecM
01-06-2011, 6:11pm
Scotty - thanks. You have confirmed with Tannin and you also put in what a wanted to say in one short sentence,

If you had two photo's side by side can you tell which is taken by the 50D and which was taken by the 7D.

It would seem the answer is NO.

I am very happy with the rest of my kit and apart from a new UWL and a new camera bag (can never have enough) oh and a couple of new CF cards (now I am shooting in RAW) I don't need anything else.

William
01-06-2011, 6:29pm
Hi Bec , Do as Scotty said, Stick with the 50D, An Example , I seem to do alright with a 8.2MP 30D , I will upgrade to a Full Frame shortly , But the old 30D works very well , Go for more gear IMO :D

peterb666
01-06-2011, 6:34pm
I think you are making the right decision. Certainly get the ultra wide and if you don't have a flash, add one to your kit (2 would be better). At least 1 16gb card if not 2 would do nicely.

The 50D is a great camera (as is the 7D) but in another year, there will be newer models in both model lines and these will be even better value for money. When you get another body, I would also be inclined to keep the 50D rather than sell it. Nothing beats having 2 bodies with different lenses when you are out in the field, both for convinience and a saviour when conditions are bad and you don't want to change lenses.

BecM
01-06-2011, 6:36pm
Thanks William, are you going 5D or 1D?

peterb666
01-06-2011, 6:36pm
Hi Bec , Do as Scotty said, Stick with the 50D, An Example , I seem to do alright with a 8.2MP 30D , I will upgrade to a Full Frame shortly , But the old 30D works very well , Go for more gear IMO :D

That's sound advice. Bill has produced some of the nicest seascapes I have seen. It is the photographer and the skills he or she develops over a period of time that are more important than the gear.

BecM
01-06-2011, 6:44pm
Peter your right about the two bodies and this is what I will do. I am going to ban myself from the B and H website, truly its bad.

BecM
01-06-2011, 6:48pm
That's sound advice. Bill has produced some of the nicest seascapes I have seen. It is the photographer and the skills he or she develops over a period of time that are more important than the gear.

Also agreed and Peter I DID say it is what is behind the camera not the camera itself, I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

PS I think we need to get William up for that beer, a sunrise shoot and breakfast. Not necessarily in that order.

William
01-06-2011, 6:51pm
Peter your right about the two bodies and this is what I will do. I am going to ban myself from the B and H website, truly its bad.

:lol: Ha ! , Good idea, Bec I'll be going to a 5D , I don't do much sport and fast action shots , And if I did I rarely use Burst mode , I'm a single shot guy ;)

Scotty72
01-06-2011, 6:55pm
I suppose it's about not getting caught up in the endless upgrade cycle.

Lenses should last 10,20 + years. A body should be used until it starts to fail: hopefully by then, it is worth the upgrade.

In a year or so, there will probably be a 9D (8D is due out very soon). By then (Xmas 2012), it the 9d may have the new must-have wow feature you just can't live without but (perhaps the ability to shoot niose free in pitch black at 1/8000th sec at ISO 64,000,000), the 7d isn't quite in that category yet.

Scotty

Dwarak
02-06-2011, 7:56pm
I guess the 50D will do a good job in my opinion an investment in good L lens will be worth the money. I own a 7D and used to own a 50D the only reason I got the 7D was I lost my 50D to a freak wave......While you are in the US check out cameta camera the used section good deals.

Having said that the 7D is great for macro work due to the AF system which is much better than the 50D....

BecM
02-06-2011, 8:26pm
Thanks Dwarak, I have decided to stay with the 50D. thanks for the tip on cameta camera's used section. Thankfully there was nothing there that tempted me in the slightest :)

peterb666
02-06-2011, 8:56pm
B&H also has a good range of used stuff and seem to have a fairly comprehensive condition rating scale on the goods.

fabian628
02-06-2011, 9:31pm
I am going to be in the US next week and have a long list of things to buy at B and H. I currently have a 50D that my father left to me when he passed away. I have really only been shooting without 'pointing and praying' for a couple of months now so I really am a basic beginner. I love taking landscape, sunsets, sunrises and 'street shots' (a bit of hockey on a Saturday morning as well).

I have always thought I'd stick with the 50D for a couple of years and then when I've beaten it to death pick up a better body. So here's the thing, the dollar is SO good against the US dollar at the moment, I can pick up a new body for $1600 and sell the 50D. I have been doing a lot of research and the 7D is such a good body, some people say its miles better than the 50D others, well the jury is out. In the end I do know it is what is behind the camera not the camera itself.

What I am trying to ask is if you had a 'good' photographer do you think you can tell that a photo has been taken by a 50D as opposed to the 7D. Is it worth making the investment now with the dollar so good? I love my camera and really I can't even take a good photo yet so I know I am jumping the gun.

bodies are never a good investment :D

But i think you answered your own question about jumping the gun.

The only places I saw real improvement was the auto focus, and obvious the the frames/second. Also some nice features, video.
Overall, if you are not shoot a great deal of action or do not require video, you will be hard pressed to tell the different between the cameras!

I like your comment about the lenses you 'need' vs the ones you 'want'. Once you get the ones you 'need' the ones you want will becomes the ones you 'need' :D happens to the best of us. Not long ago I was saying the 10-22mm was the last lens i needed. :eek:

BecM
03-06-2011, 9:42am
Fabiana this is going to be a hobby where there is going to be always something to save for :)

bricat
03-06-2011, 10:56am
I will give a different point. If you sell the current camera for say $800. if that is the going price you get a 7D for $800 change over. Now that is a bargain and you are able to then purchase lenses, flash tripod etc. If you wait for the next model to arrive(when?) your present unit goes down in value. If you get more than $800 for your camera I don't think I would be able to resist. But I do buy the best I can afford at the time and that generally lasts me through many new models. I have a 7d and I don't think I will need to upgrade for many many years as I am only a hobbyist not a proffessional. I also have a canon G2 and that still takes supurb photos' and videos. cheers Brian

BecM
03-06-2011, 2:50pm
Hi Bricat, I was mostly concerned that there was a huge difference in the quality of photo that a 50D takes as opposed to a 7D, it seems that it is so miniscule it isn't worth doing. I would do it in a flash if there was a noticeable difference but as there isn't I'll just hold onto the money and start dreaming of a 5D Mk V.

Bennymiata
03-06-2011, 3:14pm
The biggest differences between photos, is not so much the camera, but the lenses and the person pushing the buttons!

My father is an international photographic judge with FAPS and FLAPS after his name, and I remember as a kid in the 60's that while he had the very best equipment that money could buy (Hasselblad etc), he was often beaten in comps by an old guy with a box brownie!!!
He was a real talent and took thousands of photos all the time, and every now and again, he managed to produce some corkers.

Spend your money on good lenses (prefferably L lenses), a good flash like the 580EXII and a decent tripod and head.

BecM
03-06-2011, 3:32pm
Thanks Benny, I agree (and did put :)) that I know it's the person behind the camera. I already own an awesome tripod and two great lens. This really wasn't about the need to spend money :)

I am about to buy an UWL, was going to buy the Canon 10-22, there doesn't seem to be an L lens that is an equivalent, would this be the same http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279582-USA/Canon_8806A002_EF_17_40mm_f_4L_USM.html?

Scotty72
03-06-2011, 4:12pm
It would really be the same as it would only be the equiv of about 26-27mm at its widest of the crop sensor body. 26mm is hardly ultra-wide.

Either the Canon (10-22) or the siggy (10-20) will give you great results (assuming you want landscapes)

BecM
03-06-2011, 4:45pm
Thanks Scotty, yes I want it for landscape. Will stick to original idea.