PDA

View Full Version : 5d mk1 or 1d mk2

dannat
31-05-2011, 7:13pm
Am considering both of the above for night sky shots on a tripod, also maybe some landscape, possibly some macro (fungi). I don't really have funds for 5d mk2 & am not so keen on the aps-c cameras (though 40d) does interest me.
Which would you choose, 1dmk2 bit cheaper, but less MP, bit kinder to lens etc

Doninoz
02-06-2011, 12:34pm
Am considering both of the above for night sky shots on a tripod, also maybe some landscape, possibly some macro (fungi). I don't really have funds for 5d mk2 & am not so keen on the aps-c cameras (though 40d) does interest me.
Which would you choose, 1dmk2 bit cheaper, but less MP, bit kinder to lens etc

I would definitely go with the 1D Mk2...If you read all about MP it doesn't mean much unless you are going to blow your photos big enough to put on a wall (I think MP is overrated!). Anyway there are lots of programs (Photoshop does it) that will interpolate your raw images to make them bigger without loss of quality (or much, anyway).

The 5D is not sealed like the 1D series cameras which are fully gasketed around the dial, doors and other openings. I don't believe it uses sealing gasket on the lensmount either.

The 1D MKII is pretty good pricing at the moment as well...I think this would last you longer than the 5D

I have a 1D MkII and a 5D MKII and I use them both...I like the 1D for portraits and weddings...I'm not sure why I prefer to use this better than my 5D MKII, it might just be that I am used to it. When I am out and about I take the 5D MkII. Don't know if this helps of not...Regards Don

dannat
03-06-2011, 2:02pm
Thank don big help

pollen
04-06-2011, 3:22pm
I conincentally have a 1D Mark IIN, 5D and 5D2

Without a doubt I would go with a 5D. The problem with the 1D Mark II and 1D Mark IIN are that they are so slow and cumbersome to operate compared to modern cameras (I mean basic tasks like changing settings and reviewing photos taken)

Image Quality wise, the 5D is much better, I'd say 1 stop at high ISO

The 1D2 has better build and AF but both are not critical for your applications. And in fact in low light the 5D is actually a bit more sensitive on the centre point

Fedgrub
04-06-2011, 3:40pm
I would hold out for the iii and then see what you think.

KeeFy
06-06-2011, 2:35pm
Go for the 5D mk1. The crop factor for the 1D the - point for me and the increase in noise for the 1D mk2 is noticable if you're doing landscapes.

finn
09-06-2011, 11:09pm
Go the 5D (mark I) - not just because I have one !

Your interests sky night shots (dusk clouds, stars/planets) would do fine. For this you need big pixels in camera, the 5D mark I has this.
I have taken long exposures to capture star trails with good quality (roughly 5minutes per frame).

Landscape. For this you need good tonal graduation, again big pixels in camera help in this regard. The 5D Mark I again.

Macro. Haven't delved in there (yet), so can't comment.

Maybe I am biased as I have a 5D Mark I, however I think (and numerous others say) it's one of the best for image quality.
It's a vey good all-round camera. Pro-qualiy without the pro-price-tag !