PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea or not?

salnel
30-05-2011, 9:30pm
Ok, I am Nikon owner (with d90) which I am very happy with but I want to get into birding and so far, unless a bird is 3 feet in front of me, i end up with a furry blob!!Unless I win Tatts Lotto, I simply cannot afford the Nikon telephoto lenses!!
So, I have decided to come over to the dark side:D
I have read all the threads on the 100-400mm and really like the sound of this lens(thanks,Tannin for your excellent reviews).
Not knowing anything about Canon cameras, I was hoping someone would be able to advise me as to a good camera to match this lens.
I would be using it solely for birding and wildlife but it would also double as a first DSLR for my husband as well.
Would something like the 60D be suitable?
Any advice would be much appreciated as this has been doing my head in:(

Kym
30-05-2011, 9:49pm
Changing brands is expensive.

The 50 (or 150) to 500mm Sigma lenses do a great job... why not just check them out?

Richard's 100-400 is not the main reason why he gets great bird images... its about patience and stalking skills.

Feral1 (Peter) uses a Sigma 150-500, as do others.

rwg717
30-05-2011, 9:55pm
Although I don't own one, the 60D would be your best pick. This camera body IMHO is slightly better than the Nikon D90 (which I do have). The EF 100-400l is a lens which I also have and is excellent and very popular with "birders" here on AP. I must say I am surprised your 18-200 Nikkor doesn't perform well enough. I have never used these either but they look like they would be good enough if your subjects are close enough:confused013.
Anyway, if you make the switch to "the dark side" I'm sure you won't be dissapointed, the 60D plus the EF 100-400 will work an absolute treat:)
Richard

Wayne
30-05-2011, 9:58pm
400mm is the minimum FL for wildlife and birds, start thinking 600mm + TC + crop body and you are in the game. The price of entry, not cheap....

Besides, treason is good for nobody..
Kym is right, whilst I hate that characteristic Bigma bokeh, it is probably your cheapest, most effective option.

Shelley
30-05-2011, 10:10pm
Sally, if your mind is made up :) .

Most birders go for 40d, 50d, 7d, 1dMkiv - I won't go any higher..... Depends on what you are prepared to spend on a camera, then the lens. Its the lens that matters the most. But, boy the cameras sure have some stuff packed into them.

You followed the thread on the lens and I am not going to say anything more in what lens you should get. I believe that thread should have helped you heaps. Was fun to follow.

etherial
30-05-2011, 10:16pm
Hey Sally, well you know I'm a Canon user and I love them, but I reckon a change at this stage wouldn't be wise. I'm not sure about your budget, but if it were me, I'd be experimenting with a cheaper option before making a decision like buying a differnt camera and trying to learn it from scratch (of course I'd help you if you did!!;)) As others have said look at a Sigma 150-500. They get mixed reviews, but mostly positive. I reckon try and pick one up second hand and see how you go with it. If you don't like it or decide that Canon is the way to go you can always sell it.

Re the 100-400, they are a different breed. Tony leant me his at a meet and I have to say I didn't like it at all. The push pull zoom bugged me no end. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I had to, but I'd not to. Some people love them, some hate them, they are something to try before you buy if you can.

A 60D would be a pretty good option as far as Canon bodies go. But a 60D and 100-400 is a big outlay!! So my advice would be go with the Sigma, practice practice practice and IF you find t is holding you back, then look at other options, but I think it would serve you well.

Tannin
30-05-2011, 10:21pm
Hi Sally,

Most people who switch from Nikon to Canon for birding do so because they want a 500/4, a 600/4, or a 400/2.8. Nikon now make very good equivalents to all three of those big iron lenses, but they are so blinkin' expensive that you can buy a 600/4 (or etc) and get a very nice Canon body with the change.

In other words, you can switch to Canon and it actually costs you less than just buying the big, fast Nikkor lens. Given that no-one credible has ever claimed that there is any significant difference in quality between the big iron lenses (Nikkor 400/2.8 vs Canon 400/2.8, for example), that's a very hard deal to walk past - especially as the Canon 7D is an outstanding choice as a birding camera.

But all of this discussion rests on the proposition that you want a big iron lens and you are switching because it gives you an equal or better combination for less money. You are proposing something quite different: switching to gain access to the Canon 100-400 instead of the lack-lustre Nikkor alternative.

That is a very different question. Yes, I think it is generally accepted that the 100-400 is the first-chioce lens for bird photographers (unless you are going to go for the big whites, which is a whole different thing, and certainly not something you should consider before you have cut your teeth on a 400mm-class rig). But switching brands to get one .... that's a much bigger ask.

How muscular are you? If you are under 40 and built like the proverbial, with bulging biceps and a big strong back, then one of the Sigma zooms should be on your radar. That would be cheap(ish), quick, and preserve your existing investment in equipment. Pretty good lenses too.

If, on the other hand, you are more the petite type, weight is important. This is where a Canon system wins. You need to use a 2kg(ish) lens for a day or so to grasp how important weight is.

But what about your investment in Nikon gear? Well, frankly, what investrment? Set aside the D90 itself, and you have an 85mm macro lens, a quite expensive but readily resellable 18-200 and a cheap(ish) 50mm. None of that is going to break you. You could keep all those and run two bodies, or else sell them and restock with (say) an EF-S 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM, any of several good macros, and ... well ... choice of a 50 is a whole new topic.

As for the body, I'd say don't get a 60D. You want to go up from the D90, not backwards - and while the 60D is newer and has higher resolution than your D90, it is inferior in several other ways: notably AF system (important for bird work!), and body build quality (which matters more with big lenses).

If you are going to go Canon, get a 7D.

If you don't want to get a 7D, then I think I'd rather reluctantly advise you to stay with Nikon.

Tannin
30-05-2011, 10:31pm
PS: I am aware that I haven't addressed the complexities of your husband's use of the new body and so on. That's too much like actual thinking for me - I'll just stick to talking about what the lenses can and cannot do. :)

But I'll throw in the observation that (from your Flicker page) I can see that you work with care and good taste and that your pictures show the polish that only comes with perserverance and attention to detail - that says to me that you would make a good bird photographer.

And I'll also suggest that, if you haven't tried a 400mmish lens you would be welcome to try mine out. (With your choice of 50D or 7D.) I sometimes make the AP local meets, but if you have a nice nature reserve in mind, PM me and we could organise something.

salnel
30-05-2011, 10:50pm
Thanks for the comments, every one.
Tannin..you are right on the money. I was initially prepared to pay a fair bit for a Nikon tele until I saw the prices and that just is not going to happen! I want to keep my Nikon gear and have the second body. It is cheaper to do this than buy Nikon glass. As I would need a second camera for my husband anyway, I thought if I got the canon for him, I could also get the 100-400 for myself and use it when he wasn't. Then, he could get any lens he wanted:D
I am not keen on the Sigmas...I am little,not built like a pro wrestler and was really worried about the weight!
I have a very close friend who has a 7D so she can teach me how to use it.
Does this sound ok?

salnel
30-05-2011, 11:05pm
Richard...the 18-200 is very nice but if a bird is in a tree etc I just can't get close enough. I have taken some good shots of birds but I have to be very close. My last pic on AP was of a cockatoo..really sharp and happy with the shot but i was literally 3 feet away from it. I tried for some others but gave up in sheer frustration!

mongo
30-05-2011, 11:29pm
Mongo agrees with Kym’s comments.
The 100-400 canon is a great lens but for all the reasons Kym gave and more, before changing brands, try a second hand 50-500 sigma or the old 400mm f5.6 sigma APO (manual focus) and if it gives you the results – buy it. A lot is in how you use the equipment and not the equipment itself as long as it is reasonable quality equipment.

salnel
30-05-2011, 11:35pm
Tony..thank you so much for the compliment...that means a huge amount to me! I would love to meet up..I will research a couple of good areas and PM you.

fabian628
31-05-2011, 1:15am
I am not fimilar with the nikon lenses but does nt nikon have a similar lens to the 100-400mm? Also canon has 400mm f/5.6, which probably would not be too expensive if there is a nikon equivalent.

jim
31-05-2011, 6:48am
...Also canon has 400mm f/5.6,* which probably would not be too expensive if there is a nikon equivalent.

Many people will rejoice if Nikon ever brings out something like this. Even though it will still probably be annoyingly more expensive than the Canon, and no better.

Sally no advice from me as earlier posters seem to have it covered, but strong sympathy for your predicament. You aren't the only one confronting this particular dilemma.

*[edit] [re-edit]no I wasn't.

kiwi
31-05-2011, 6:57am
If you can wait the Nikon 80-400 afs can't be too far away though the Japanese earthquake may delay things a little

Then again, it might not be, who knows

Some very sound advice in this thread so far

PH005
31-05-2011, 7:56am
Hi Sally. Surely there are lots of good tele' Nikon lenses out there, maybe second hand, that can be adapted for your D90 body. Then you can just get another Nikon body at some stage. Hubby can have the D90 then, and you get an upgrade. :D

rafikicat
31-05-2011, 9:06am
Hello Sally, I've come into the thread late, but it seems to me that it is better to have you and your husband with the same brand bodies, so you can share lenses. That is what my son and I did originally with film cameras. There is a lot of good advice on this thread, you are the only one who can decide, but I think having 2 different brand bodies will limit you.

mongo
31-05-2011, 10:12am
Many people will rejoice if Nikon ever brings out something like this . Even though it will still probably be annoyingly more expensive than the Canon, and no better.

Sally no advice from me as earlier posters seem to have it covered, but strong sympathy for your predicament. You aren't the only one confronting this particular dilemma.

*[edit] [re-edit]no I wasn't.

This post was referring to rejoicing if Nikon ever brought out something like a 400mm F5.6 ED lens. THEY HAVE and Mongo has been using one for the last 2 years !!!!!!!! It is every bit the same as the canon 400 f5.6 L. Can only be purchased second hand now. A reasonable copy of this lens may be between $500-700 ( pristine one like Mongo's about $800-$1000). So add to Mongo prior post above and put this as his first suggested preference for you before you decide to go to the dark side.

It only weighs 1.25kgs.

Here are some images of the Nikkor 400mm f5.6 ED_IF and some images from it.

400 f5.6 - some with with + 1.4 converter

mongo
31-05-2011, 10:47am
soory - could not attach images for some reason - may try latter

salnel
31-05-2011, 11:38am
Paul, that is the problem.Nikon just does not have an equivalent lens to the Canon 100-400. These are the prices (from DWI)
300mm f2.8 $5216
AF-S 200-400 f4 VRII $7660
500mm $8099
600mm $9929
AF-S 400mm f 2.8 $9129

As you can see, the prices are rather frightening and I cannot justify that sort of money as a hobby photographer!!!

However, this is the price range I am looking at if I get the d7 plus the 100-400. (again, DWI price to make it easier to compare.)
7d + 18-55 and 55+200 kit lens + EF 100-400mm f4-5.6 L IS USM $3546
7d + 18-55 + 100-400mm $3319
7d + 18-55 IS II + 100-400mm $3329
7d + 100-400mm $3222
and even 7D + 18-200mm + 100-400mm $3786
As you can see, the price difference is massive!
If, I stick with the d90, my only option is the Sigma but the weight is a big factor for me. As Tony says, I am not under 40, I don't have bulging muscles and a big strong back!!
As for sharing lenses with my husband..well..I don't have any to share:D

Kiwi...would you have any rough guess as to the price of the new lens? I am not in any particular hurry...just working out my options (which seem to be pretty few and far between:(
I will check out the Sigma and see if the weight is going to be a big problem.
Thanks, everyone, for your input...every bit helps:)

PH005
31-05-2011, 11:51am
Oh, so you definately want a zoom and not a prime then. If it is solely for birding, would a prime 400 not do ?

Tannin
31-05-2011, 11:53am
A correction, Sally. I was having a senior moment and thinking your D90 was a D300. The D90 is about on a level with the 60D (comparing build quality and features, not how new it is). The D300 is a true semi-pro camera, like the 7D. But you'd still go for the 7D - at around $500 the difference, you'd go for the vastly superior focus system, the weather sealing, and the build quality every time, I reckon.

Edit: Doh! I am comparing the features of 60D vs 7D above. One day I will express myself clearly and unambiguously. Probably to say "goodbye cruel world!" :(

salnel
31-05-2011, 12:09pm
We all have senior moments,Tony:lol::lol: If decide to go down this path, I would get the 7D..I would prefer the better camera..just seems to make more sense!
Paul..i would prefer the zoom as I think it gives a little more flexibility in range...personal preference:), I think

salnel
31-05-2011, 12:30pm
Thanks, Mongo...I didn't know about this one and have no experience buying second hand lenses. Hope you can get the images up:) The only other Nikon I have found that I can afford is the Nikor AF-3 300mm f4D-IF-ED which is about $1300. It seemed to have good reviews..does any one know anything about it?

Tannin
31-05-2011, 12:38pm
No VR, Sally. That is a deal breaker. You can live quite happily without IS/VR in, say, a 50mm lens (though it is still very, very useful) but in a 400mm-class lens, it is not a sensible option. You just lose so much opportunity. Many species are pretty much not possible. (Anything that lives in a rainforest, for a start.)

Art Vandelay
31-05-2011, 12:42pm
Some good thoughts in this thread, especially the 7D over the 60D for birding.

Sally, I may add that the pricing examples you've used are showing with the 18-55 IS kit lens, realistically you may want to allow to upgrade that to something like the 15-85 that Tanin mentioned in his post., or one of the 3rd party 17-50 f/2.8's or even canons 17-55 f/2.8 though it's the dearer of the bunch. If not initially, then later on. The 7D with it's higher pixel density tends to not play well with the base lenses.

Another thought for a compatable second body for your husband down the track or even yourself to save a few bucks up front, if you dont mind used, is a 40D or 50D. 40D's have been going on ebay for around $500 and 50D's for around $700.

salnel
31-05-2011, 1:26pm
Sigh...thought so, Tony.I agree with you there..I have VR in both my 18-200 and my macro and it really helps. It is looking more and more like the Canon. I do like the zooms..I read your post about using it for landscapes as well as birding and thought that was a very good idea. On the plus side of all of this, I would end up with 2 very good cameras, very good glass and no real need for anything else for the foreseeable future. I know exactly what I like to photograph and this would cover it all. I don't see a problem with 2 different cameras. I may be a bit dense but I don't see how you share lenses..if I am using the 18-200..what is my husband using? I would still need a second camera and lens for him!
Thanks, Art..yes, if I went for the 7D I would probably look at a different lens..it was really to show the price difference between one lens and a camera plus 2/3 lenses!! Scary:eek:
I did look to see what cameras the Canon birders were using and saw the D40 and D50 were very popular..Shelley mentioned them as well ..I certainly wouldn't be averse to saving some money:)

kiwi
31-05-2011, 1:27pm
Not really, but think current price plus $500 I reckon

Alternative is the very fine 300 f/4 which you can easily put a 1.7 or the excellent 2x tc on and still very lightweight

My experience is for birding (little that it is) that you'll almost always be at the longest focal length and the zooms a waste of time really

rafikicat
31-05-2011, 1:42pm
I'm certainly no expert birder either, but from what I've read the 7D seems to be the favourite for action and birding. When I mentioned sharing lenses I wasn't thinking of you and your husband always taking photos of the same thing at the same time - that would constitute a problem. :D

Tannin
31-05-2011, 2:40pm
My experience is for birding ... you'll almost always be at the longest focal length and the zooms a waste of time really

Yes.

And no.

Yes, you will use 400mm more than any other focal length, possibly more than all other focal lengths combined.

And no: you will use the shorter lengths a lot too.

While the shorter lengths are especially handy for mammals and even landscapes, they are nevertheless useful for birding tasks.

As examples, have a look at this page:

http://tannin.net.au/browselens.php?lens=8&sort_by=zoom

These shots probably make a pretty fair quasi-random sample of the 100-400 in practice. They are not selected with any focal length related theme in mind, they are simply the pictures that I happened to think were worth putting on my website which the computer thinks were taken with a 100-400. (Sorted in focal length order.) I think the mix of lengths and subjects is a pretty fair representation of the way I use the lens, and quite likely of the way you will use it too.

This brings me to this:

I read your post about using it for landscapes as well as birding and thought that was a very good idea.

Yes, plenty of landscapes in there. The ability to reach out into the distance and pluck just the part you want from it is priceless:

http://tannin.net.au/upload/10/100905-143544-.jpg

(1D III, 100-400 @ 120mm, 200i, f/10, 1/200th, hand-held)

... as is the ability to use distance and a long lens to flatten perspective and bring visual unity to far-apart objects:

http://tannin.net.au/upload/10/100330-182746-rfva.jpg

(1D III, 100-400 @ 260mm, 400i, f/5.6, 1/80th, hand-held)

Notice the shutter speed! Perfectly sharp image, hand-held at 260mm. In fact I couldn't have used a tripod for that shot as I took it standing on top of the car. Now tell me that IS isn't an essential!

But watchout! For landscapes, I use the 100-400 at 100mm far more than any other length, and that is with the 1D III, which turns the lens into something more like an 80-350. The 100-400 is a much more practical landscape lens with a 1D III than it is with a 7D.

mongo
31-05-2011, 4:28pm
Here are some images of the Nikkor 400mm f5.6 ED_IF and some images from it.

400mm f5.6 - some + 1.4 converter. Please note this is a manual lens and has no vibration reduction

salnel
31-05-2011, 4:28pm
Wow,Tony...they are wonderful shots and that really gives me a great look at the ranges you have used..you really cover the whole scale..that is why I thought a zoom would be very useful because subjects are not always at the same distance:) I was very interested in the mix of cameras you have used as well..just as a sidebar...do you have a favorite camera?
I think I am going to have to start saving because I really think that, unless the Nikor 80-400 makes an appearance and is any good, it looks like the dark side:D

Lance B
31-05-2011, 4:35pm
Excellent shots, Tony.

You could also go for the Nikon AF-S 300 f4 which is auto focus and then use a 1.4x TC which will give you 420mm and f5.6, the same as Tony's 400 f5.6 but has AF. The IQ from this combo is excellent (I have both, as well as a 300 f2.8 VRII). A good second hand 300 f4 will probably be about $1,000 and the 1.4x TCII is about $400 new.

The current Nikon 80-400 isn't much chop.

salnel
31-05-2011, 4:36pm
Gorgeous shots, Mongo...love the tiger!! Did you take these handheld?

salnel
31-05-2011, 4:40pm
Thanks, Lance...that is the only combo that I can possibly afford..Tony says no VR is a deal breaker...do you find not having it is a problem?

mongo
31-05-2011, 4:46pm
Gorgeous shots, Mongo...love the tiger!! Did you take these handheld?

Yes salnel but Mongo tried to rest against anything solid wherever possible. Mongo does this instinctively for stability whether it is needed or not

BTW , Lances' idea of a AF 300 f4 (used) is also a top idea. IQ is exceptionally good even with a 1.4 converter. A second hand 1.4 Nikkor converter has dropped to about $280 and a new one is as little as about $380-450 now depending where you buy

Lance B
31-05-2011, 4:52pm
No VR is a bit of an issue, but I have the D700 and D7000 which both have superb high ISO, so I can shoot ISO3200 and sometimes ISO6400 without much issue. I would seriously consider this combo even with your D90.

Tannin
31-05-2011, 4:53pm
Yes salnel but Mongo tried to rest against anything solid wherever possible. Mongo does this instinctively for stability whether it is needed or not

I do that too. It helps a lot. Even when I'm holding a camera, but mostly when I'm holding a glass.

I'm sorry. What was the question?

mongo
31-05-2011, 4:58pm
I do that too. It helps a lot. Even when I'm holding a camera, but mostly when I'm holding a glass.

I'm sorry. What was the question?

:lol:

ving
31-05-2011, 4:58pm
if you decide to not go to canon i can recommend the sigma 150-500. check the birds section of my website to see some photo i took with it.

salnel
31-05-2011, 7:01pm
Ok..so now my choices (realistically) seem to be:
the Nikon 300 + teleconverter which should be ok on my d90 but no VR (but excellent IQ..thanks, Lance).
7d + 100-400
wait for the mythical 80-400:)
Maybe the Sigma but a big issue with the weight!
Lots to think about:confused013

mongo
31-05-2011, 7:31pm
If you are thinking in these terms, then, Mongo should update you on the cost of a mint condition 300 f4 non VR model (the model immediately before the current VR model) is only $600 landed in Australia from one of the world's best second hand camera lens stores located in Japan.

salnel
31-05-2011, 7:38pm
$600?? I could get that now:)

mongo
31-05-2011, 8:54pm
$600?? I could get that now:)

Mongo can give you the details if you want him to

salnel
31-05-2011, 9:00pm
Thank you very much,Mongo..This may be an answer for me that isn't going to cost a fortune! You are very kind:)

mongo
31-05-2011, 9:11pm
Thank you very much,Mongo..This may be an answer for me that isn't going to cost a fortune! You are very kind:)

Have a look here [URL="http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NIKON-AF-NIKKOR-ED-300mm-f-4-Exc-/160595352565?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item25643a9bf5"] Note some prices are in $US but Mongo has worked out is it less than $600 and Mongo has purchased from these guys before. THis is the auto focus lens but Mongo is not sure if it is the silent wave motor or not - so check this if it matters to you.

mongo
31-05-2011, 9:54pm
Sorry Salnel. Just looked again and 2 lenses have just sold - one of them was the lens Mongo mentioned. However, Mongo sees these every few days to few weeks and you will have another chance if you want it. It is not an auction - it is a "buy it now" store. I am also sorry about the hyerlink - Mongo is learning to get that right and will pass it on to you if you wish. Again, sorry.

Can Mongo please urge you to open the link he has provided above to you anyway - so you can see the quality of the lens that can be had by this method just for your own knowledge. For the moment , you can do that by highlighting all the URL address above that is between the inverted commas, then, right click and take the "open the link" option

regards
Mongo

colinbm
31-05-2011, 10:02pm
Hi Mongo
What's this "one of the world's best second hand camera lens stores located in Japan" :confused013
Please ;)
Col

Lance B
31-05-2011, 10:06pm
Matsuiyastore.

http://stores.ebay.com/matsuiyastore

salnel
31-05-2011, 10:13pm
No problem, Mongo...your link worked :th3: I did have a quick look too(before it sold). Then I did a search and found the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f4 D...I think that is the more recent one that has silent wave..the one Lance has? Anyway, I found it new for $1149 with an aus warranty. So I did a quick search for reviews and one of them said there was to be an update to this lens, possibly summer 2012?? The review (can't remember which one now..looked at too many) thought it would be adding VR to this lens.
If that is true and Kiwi said the 80-400 is also due to be updated, maybe that might give me 2 options later on! Just so long as they don't add too many noughts:D
Thanks for the link..I will keep an eye on it!!!

mongo
31-05-2011, 10:19pm
Hi Mongo
What's this "one of the world's best second hand camera lens stores located in Japan" :confused013
Please ;)
Col

Hi Colinbm,

Mongo is referring to the Matsuiyastore found at [URL="://shttptores.ebay.com.au/Matsuiyastore"]

Once there just open the lenses which are listed in on the left of screen under the manufacturer's brand names names. The list is constantly changing during the day as things are purchased and other put for sale in their pace. This store only keeps the best gear and nothing under a 9 + out of 10 in Mongo's opinion

mongo
31-05-2011, 10:24pm
No problem, Mongo...your link worked :th3: I did have a quick look too(before it sold). Then I did a search and found the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f4 D...I think that is the more recent one that has silent wave..the one Lance has? Anyway, I found it new for $1149 with an aus warranty. So I did a quick search for reviews and one of them said there was to be an update to this lens, possibly summer 2012?? The review (can't remember which one now..looked at too many) thought it would be adding VR to this lens.
If that is true and Kiwi said the 80-400 is also due to be updated, maybe that might give me 2 options later on! Just so long as they don't add too many noughts:D
Thanks for the link..I will keep an eye on it!!!

Ok Salnel - good luck. BTW, the current 80-400mm nikkor has a shocking reputation for IQ. MOngo tried one briefly and completely agrees that it is currently not at all a good lens. Mongo would not touch it unless the new version is heavily revised and improved.

Also , would be keen to know where you found the new version for $1149 ???

salnel
31-05-2011, 10:31pm
See if i can paste the link..never done it!
I have no idea if they are any good but they are based in Melbourne. Is this the one or have i got it wrong?
http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51_67&products_id=430

Wayne
31-05-2011, 11:45pm
I wouldn't hold my breath for the AF-S 80-400VR as it (AF 80-400VR) is the one Nikon lens screaming out for years to get a SWM update. It has been rumored for a couple of years and still no show. The 300/4 you are looking for is the later AF-S version, not AF version. Price difference is almost double between them on used market, but the AF-S can be had used and mint from the USA almost any day on EBay etc for under $700 and it takes a TC (not really 2x) quite well.

Sadly, anything but the big glass option is going to be a compromise in one way or another for birding. The 200-400 VR1 can be had for sub $4K (but usually just over) if you watch closely and are prepared to deal right away. They spring up very often.

I @ M
01-06-2011, 6:47am
Anyway, I found it new for $1149 with an aus warranty.

The warranty will be provided by the seller and NOT by Nikon Australia.

See if i can paste the link..never done it!
I have no idea if they are any good but they are based in Melbourne. Is this the one or have i got it wrong?
http://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51_67&products_id=430

A quick search shows that they are based in Melbourne and Honk Kong and don't appear in the list of authorised Nikon Australia dealers (http://www.nikon.com.au/dealers.php). They appear to be another grey importer that has set up "shop" in Australia.

salnel
01-06-2011, 11:40am
Thanks, Andrew..I will hang on to this list to help me!
Thanks, Wayne...not really what I wanted to hear but kind of what I expected:(
Sigh...

piXelatedEmpire
01-06-2011, 2:55pm
Hi there salnel,

Thought I'd share my experience with you, as I have just recently (about a month ago) changed camera brands from Olympus to Canon for very similar reasons to what you are considering.

I'm an avid bird photographer, and I was looking for the best possible system/tools that I could use for my hobby (within my budget of course!). While I loved my Oly gear, the lack of telephoto lenses available for the system forced me to look elsewhere. After considerable research, I settled for the Canon system, as their range of telephoto lenses is exceptional, and in most cases much more affordable than their Nikon counterparts.

I decided to purchase a Canon 7D and a 100-400mm L lens. As many have mentioned in this thread, the 7D is an excellent camera, and quite possibly the best birding camera on the market. The AF system is terrific, and the 1.6 crop factor on an 18MP sensor allows for greater reach and cropability.

I chose the 100-400mm L lens as I really wanted a zoom lens. The environments I primarily shoot in are quite dense bushland, and the flexibility of the zoom was a must. The push-pull zoom action is quite unique, but even after only three field trips with this new kit I already really like the style of zooming.

You may hear/read some people saying that the 100-400 zoom is not as sharp as say the 400 prime, but in reality the result are negligeable if they even exist at all. In the real word examples, and indeed my own experiences, the 100-400 is far from soft.

While I'm relatively new to the Canon system, I am already really enjoying shooting with it and the results I am obtaining. It will take some time to learn how to get the most out of your gear, but that's half the fun isn't it? I would recommend a good monopod and head combo, just to take some of the weight off as this set up can get heavy, but I have no trouble hand holding it for a few hours. I have a Manfrotto 679B and 234RC head which I picked up for under $100 second hand, which is an excellent combo.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any!

Cheers

salnel
01-06-2011, 4:58pm
Thank you, Adam..I did see your post about changing brands. You seem to be in exactly the same situation as I am...I love my Nikon gear and do not want to get rid of it but the Nikon lenses are just too expensive and the ones I can afford don't seem to be what I need (or will take some unknown length of time to appear!). I had already decided that the 100-400 would suit me the best but I wasn't sure which camera was the most suitable.The 7D(altho pretty expensive) seems to be the one to have and my best friend has one so I know she will teach me to use it.
My only real choice in Nikon is the 300mm but Tony says no VR is a deal breaker and I think I need all the help I can get...especially trying to hold a heavy lens steady!
I do have a Manfrotto monopod already but not the head so I will have a look for one.
I take it that you don't regret switching to Canon purely for one purpose?
Like I said, the second camera won't go astray as it (or my D90) can be used by my husband as well. Personally, I don't want any other lenses..I love my macro (which is pretty much welded to my camera,) my 18-200 is terrific as a general lens and I have a nifty fifty and, at this stage, I can't see anything else I would need. But the sheer frustration of not being able to take any bird or animal more than a few feet away is becoming more and more annoying!!
So, unless Nikon decide to produce the 80-400, I think I will be following in your footsteps.
Thanks for the post...nice to hear that I am not the only one considering this! I will watch your posts with interest:)

I @ M
01-06-2011, 5:11pm
So, unless Nikon decide to produce the 80-400, I think I will be following in your footsteps.

Newsflash!!!!

Hot off the press ---- Nikon have announced that they will release rumours of a new AF-S VR11 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED lens ------

The day AFTER Sally unboxes her new Canon gear. :rolleyes:

Lance B
01-06-2011, 5:16pm
LOL. :lol:

That's nasty!

salnel
01-06-2011, 5:35pm
Hmmm...am I allowed to swear on this forum:action: But knowing my luck, that is exactly what would happen:lol:

I @ M
01-06-2011, 6:46pm
Hmmm...am I allowed to swear on this forum:action:

Of course you are, the automatic forum censor takes care of the really un lady like not generally acceptable utterings anyway. :)

As I have often said before, Nikon simply does not make a lens that compares with the Canon 100-400 with the all important specifications of VR / IS, weight, fast focus ability, optical quality and price in the one package. If they had made such a lens a few years ago they would have sold millions of them.

The only other lens that comes close is the Sigma 100-300 F/4 + 1.4 tc ( recently discontinued and maybe replaced with an OS / VR / IS version ) and then that fails the VR / IS needs and falls behind slightly on weight.

If birds are your thing then the suggested Canon combinations by those who know in this thread make perfect sense, waiting and hoping for Nikon to produce something competitive might mean a lot of missed bird shots.

Kym
01-06-2011, 6:50pm
Newsflash!!!!

Hot off the press ---- Nikon have announced that they will release rumours of a new affordable AF-S VR11 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED lens ------

Fixed it for you :p

salnel
01-06-2011, 7:01pm
Thanks, Kym...not too sure "affordable" is a prerequisite for Nikon tele lenses:lol:
Think you might be right, Andrew...well,it looks like I will be stepping in to the edges of the dark side:D...Now to start saving!
Thanks, everyone for your input...much appreciated:)