PDA

View Full Version : online printer suggestions?

Ms Monny
28-05-2011, 11:08pm
Hi all

I have looked at a couple of online printing places but because my image is not the normal size (tall and slimmer than normal) I am finding it hard to get one prints this.

One also said my resolution was too low on one site - I don't know about you but I though that 3066 x 4092 (20.2 MB) and 300 pixels per inch would be a good enough resolution to print??????

Any suggestions?? I am really new to all this pixel sizing, image sizing for printing stuff. I want to print this like Ozzietraveller suggested (but I have toned down the warmth a tad)....

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?84386-Dog-Trap-Road

I @ M
29-05-2011, 4:10am
The missing bit of info is ---

What size do you want it printed?
Those 2 sizes, width x length, will determine which printing companies will be able to do the job.
Those dimensions are best expressed in inches.
The thing to remember here is that printing companies don't just use sheets of paper to print on at larger sizes, they use rolls of paper of varying widths and charge you by the square inch of paper used.
Those paper roll widths generally come in standard sizes, many are geared towards a 4:5 ratio and others may suit the 2:3 ratio that is generally the film / sensor size ratio in 35mm format photos.
I am assuming that you want your image printed larger than the normal 4x6" or 8x12" sizes which are common photo sizes in the 2:3 ratio.

A couple of quick examples and remember the bit about them using paper that comes closest to the shortest dimension in the image.

Image #1.
You want it printed at 16x20" --- the printing company prints it on paper that is 20" wide and covers all the surface area of the paper 16" long.

Image #2
You want it printed at !6x24" --- the printing company prints it on paper that is 20" wide, that leaves unprinted paper approx 2" wide x 24" long along the top and bottom edge of the print that needs trimming off to finish the job.

Many places can and regularly print on paper 40" wide, some handle up to 60" wide so if the picture you want printed falls under that measurement on the shortest side they can print it.
If your image size falls outside of the "normal" paper widths they simply print it on the next paper size up, charge you per square inch of paper used and then trim it for you at extra cost or leave it untrimmed for you to do. Pay the extra and ask them to trim.

I don't think that you will have any problems getting a large print done going on your pixel dimensions, file size and resolution that you listed above.

Try RGB digital (http://www.rgbdigital.com.au/) in Queensland, they do a good job, they are quick and their prices are good. You must factor postage prices into the final job cost so it pays to spread that cost over several prints rather than just the one. A good excuse to get more images on paper where they should be. :D

Lani
29-05-2011, 7:45am
+1 for rgb digital, and also for Andrew's advice re just print to next size up and trim. Digitalworks has a much bigger size range for prints, but I haven't used them for a while.

ricktas
29-05-2011, 7:47am
Yep RGB, digital works changed owners and reports suggest they are no longer as good as they used to be, sadly!

Ms Monny
30-05-2011, 8:38am
thanks for your replies - esp I@M!! I have taken what you said onboard but I am actually a bit confused about the inches part - I know, silly me!!!

How do I work out the inches? How do I know how long the length is as opposed to the width?? I can't just say I want a 18" x 20" because that would obviously crop alot of the image. I don't know how to get the correct dimensions without having to lose any of the image.

So, before I look at any online printing places, I guess this is what I have to work out first!!

mercho
30-05-2011, 9:37am
What application are you using to process your photos?

In photoshop you can go to Image>Image size, and you can resize your image using inches/cm/px and specify the PPI.

Your current image of 4092px x 3066px @300ppi is roughly 4:3 with some very minor cropping (which is a bit of a strange ratio for printing), which would give you a print of something like 16"x12". Anything over 200ppi is more than sufficient for good quality prints.

Try somewhere like http://www.digitalworks.net.au, they have a lot of different print sizes, and do the print size i mentioned.

Ms Monny
30-05-2011, 9:56am
mercho - THANKYOU! That is exactly what I needed. I have only recently got Elements and I am still learning about it. It works out to be 10" x 13.999" at 306.6 pixels per inch.

I think I will print it out at that size - well 10 x 14!!!!

dbax
30-05-2011, 10:01am
+1 for Digitalworks, I haven't used them for a little while now, but always good service and reasonable pricing when I did :D

Ms Monny
30-05-2011, 10:42am
Thanks all. I put an order in with Digitalworks. I know you heard, Rick, that they haven't been as good since new ownership but I checked out the sizing and it was very user friendly to put an order in and the price was pretty good too. They had alot of different sizes and I got the 10 x 14 easily. I will let you know how it all turns out. Hopefully I will be proud to hang it on a wall somewhere ;)

mercho
04-06-2011, 11:45am
Just to add to this, I have just received around 100 prints that I got done at Digital works, and they were all top quality! Got a range of wallet, 5x7 and 12x8 prints.... Received within 3 days of ordering... :th3:

I had a couple of issues with a few of the 5x7's where I hadn't left enough room above the head of the portraits, but that was my fault...

Art Vandelay
22-06-2011, 8:15pm
From the various recommendations on this and other posts, I tried out RGB digital this week in favour of a local lab I normally use. (I'm getting diddled up here, but that's another story..)

Downloaded their ordering program on the weekend, loaded a bunch of pics, mostly 8x10's, a 12x18 & 2, 20x30's.
Pressed the go button monday morning and they were in my mail box the next day. Very happy with speed, pricing and quality.
Will use again.
Thanks to all.

kiwi
22-06-2011, 8:33pm
Rgb are excellent, xo are digilab.

Ms Monny
23-06-2011, 1:55pm
Well, my print (canvas) came back from Digitalworks and I was very pleased with quality, price and speed. Will def use them again!!

Erin
24-06-2011, 10:32pm
Another thumbs up for DW. Got one of their foamcore mounted prints. Beautiful quality. I'd say their service is as good as it's ever been. Delivered within 6 days of ordering as per the usual turnaround too.

Ms Monny
25-06-2011, 9:50am
Saying that - my hubby hated the photo printed on canvas!! :(

What would people suggest (or what they have loved) the photos be printed on? I am unsure what would look best - or is that really a personal preference???