PDA

View Full Version : Probably the best non-hardware calibration information

ricktas
28-05-2011, 8:06pm
I came across this site today whilst looking at reviews of new LCD Monitors. Other than using a colorimeter to calibrate your screen, I think this site goes a long way to getting your monitor settings as accurate as possible.

The site is HERE (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/)

Patagonia
01-06-2011, 12:42pm
It would be god to leave it sticky for us that don´t have HW calibration.

good link!
regards

ricktas
01-06-2011, 1:27pm
It would be god to leave it sticky for us that don´t have HW calibration.

good link!
regards

I could sticky it, I am thinking it should be moved to another forum..perhaps Technology and then stickied?

William
01-06-2011, 1:34pm
Yep , Had a look , It's a good one Rick, Worth keeping as a reference , The good bit is my new screen came up very well :th3:

ving
01-06-2011, 1:44pm
pretty good! thanks ricki :th3:

jim
01-06-2011, 1:51pm
An interesting and pretty comprehensive test. Thanks for posting it.

My uncalibrated monitor sailed through it, barring some banding on the gradient test. Overall quite pleasing.

etherial
09-06-2011, 8:43pm
I posted about this site a few months ago. After buying my new monitor and not having a hardware calibrator I downloaded profiles from the net and tried each one until I got the best results from this site. I'm pretty happy with how it came up.

ricktas
09-06-2011, 9:05pm
I posted about this site a few months ago. After buying my new monitor and not having a hardware calibrator I downloaded profiles from the net and tried each one until I got the best results from this site. I'm pretty happy with how it came up.

Ah thanks. Now we have the Colour Management forum I thought it was good to have it here.

reaction
15-06-2011, 1:01pm
even with hardware, it doesn't tell you how to set brightness, contrast. I always wonder, since on notebooks the power changes. when you compare 2 LCDs using a colorimeter to calibrate your screen, they still won't match.
it's hard to say what is 'right'

Longshots
29-06-2011, 5:58pm
even with hardware, it doesn't tell you how to set brightness, contrast. I always wonder, since on notebooks the power changes. when you compare 2 LCDs using a colorimeter to calibrate your screen, they still won't match.
it's hard to say what is 'right'

If you mean LCD desktop screens, I have 4 LCDs and I can assure you that if you've used a proper calibration device, there is absolutely no reason why they cannot match - and I assure you mine do. If they didnt I would be in trouble. And that is the entire point in using a calibrated system.

On the issue of notebooks - first of all switch off any power saving options if calibration is important to you. Having said that many notebook screens are not so accurate.

reaction
30-06-2011, 2:31pm
One LCD and one notebook
Same calibration device, notebook set to same brightness each time. Vibrance wouldn't match, on LCD bright reds were richer.

I use Huey Pro, and asked their tech, they said it's not up to them. ie if I change notebook brightness, calibrate, the photos would NOT look the same, despite what you'd expect. Also they said it's not designed to match LCDs on different PCs.

Maybe more expensive gear does more stuff?

JM Tran
30-06-2011, 2:43pm
One LCD and one notebook
Same calibration device, notebook set to same brightness each time. Vibrance wouldn't match, on LCD bright reds were richer.

I use Huey Pro, and asked their tech, they said it's not up to them. ie if I change notebook brightness, calibrate, the photos would NOT look the same, despite what you'd expect. Also they said it's not designed to match LCDs on different PCs.

Maybe more expensive gear does more stuff?

more expensive calibrating gear is more accurate, but its impossible to get a 100% accuracy match from external LCD monitor to a laptop monitor - regardless of how well you do it.

The only way to get every single monitor to match 100% is to use the same monitors. Each monitor has different characteristics in colour gradations and hue and etc.

For example, a Dell U2311 wil be slightly different to the 27 incher even if everything is all equal in values and settings.