PDA

View Full Version : how did you propose to get married?

antongorlin
27-05-2011, 9:30am
hi there
how did you propose to get married?
or how were you proposed to get married?
or would you like to? :)
or maybe you heard some nice stories

please describe.
that might give me some ideas ;)

kiwi
27-05-2011, 9:43am
I had mine taped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVoAWSP7k4

antongorlin
27-05-2011, 5:57pm
wow, awesome :)))

I @ M
27-05-2011, 6:04pm
or how were you proposed to get married?

It was a 12 gauge shotgun so I am told. :rolleyes:

kiwi
27-05-2011, 6:15pm
I just gave my credit card details and 14 days later she arrived at the airport

I @ M
27-05-2011, 6:19pm

Gees, I hope you used Visa and only copped the 1.29% surcharge instead of the 2.8% that AMEX and Diners Club attract. :eek:

Gotta get ya moneys worth after all. :D

kiwi
27-05-2011, 6:23pm
Yeah, I wasn't happy as the pump was broken and they wouldn't give me a refund, in the end I had to use a bike pump and repair kit

nixworries
27-05-2011, 6:27pm
at the coffee shop were we met with roses, ring and tissues (don't forget the tissues)

geoffsta
27-05-2011, 7:35pm
I met my misses when I was drunk. And I proposed to her when I was drunker. :confused013
I don't drink anymore, I do too many stupid things. :(

What makes it worse is, I'm telling the truth.

agb
27-05-2011, 7:38pm
Hey, its 50 years ago, how do you expect me to remember hack that far!!

Dylan & Marianne
27-05-2011, 9:47pm
I kind of didn't ......... somehow it just kind of happened ????

sunny6teen
27-05-2011, 9:57pm

best $12 ever spent

mechawombat
27-05-2011, 10:42pm
I went to Whale beach and sat on a huge rock to give Mrs MW a huge rock. Then on the way home get pulled over by a overzealous copper who ruined the night by asking why I was in the NORTHERN BEACHES like I had to have a passport or something to enter the pennisula :confused013

Bennymiata
30-05-2011, 7:22pm
It was my-then girlfriend's birthday, and after my hinting, she thought I was going to give her a cassette radio for her car (yes, it was THAT long ago when cassette players were uncommon in cars).
So I had bought the ring (and the diamond that came with it) and packed it into ever larger boxes and finished the packing by placing it in a box for a car cassette player then wrapping it in birthday paper.

I went to her place after work, and she was wondering why so many people had come over to her parents' place just to wish her happy birthday.
We went into another room and I gave her the box, which she duly unwrapped, and when she saw the cassette player box, she looked dissapointed, as we had been going out for about 4 years and she was hoping for something else.
She opened the cassette box and noticed another box, and then another and another until finally she found the ring box buried deep inside.
I hadn't said a word the whole time, other than a few words to encourage her to dig deeper, and when she found the ring box, her face lit up!
She opened the box, and before I could even ask her, she started screaming "YES! YES! YES!"

We've been happily married, through thick and thin, for 33 years. :)

mechawombat
30-05-2011, 7:26pm
It was my-then girlfriend's birthday, and after my hinting, she thought I was going to give her a cassette radio for her car (yes, it was THAT long ago when cassette players were uncommon in cars).
So I had bought the ring (and the diamond that came with it) and packed it into ever larger boxes and finished the packing by placing it in a box for a car cassette player then wrapping it in birthday paper.

I went to her place after work, and she was wondering why so many people had come over to her parents' place just to wish her happy birthday.
We went into another room and I gave her the box, which she duly unwrapped, and when she saw the cassette player box, she looked dissapointed, as we had been going out for about 4 years and she was hoping for something else.
She opened the cassette box and noticed another box, and then another and another until finally she found the ring box buried deep inside.
I hadn't said a word the whole time, other than a few words to encourage her to dig deeper, and when she found the ring box, her face lit up!
She opened the box, and before I could even ask her, she started screaming "YES! YES! YES!"

We've been happily married, through thick and thin, for 33 years. :)

EPIC on so many levels!!!:th3:

Mark L
30-05-2011, 8:00pm
Maybe you could get the wonderful person to read this thread?
Of course, just before doing that you'd have to make a final post along the lines of " I'm not so imaginative, but will you.............." or something.
Good luck, what ever you do.:th3:

Ms Monny
30-05-2011, 8:05pm
After coming back from an unreal holiday in the snow he still hadn't asked me. I was a bit disappointed and even my friends and his sister thought that he would ask during the holiday. One night, I asked "Are you going to Marry me???", he replied "Yes, I guess so!!" and then that was it!! We bought the engagement ring a couple days later.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be asked in a more romantic fashion, without me prompting (or asking) him, but we are still together and that is all that matters in the end! :D

AmyK
30-05-2011, 8:38pm
We went out for dinner one night, and he wrote 'Marry me?' on his chest near his collarbone and when we finished entrée he pulled his shirt slightly to one side to show me, and then he gave me the card that had the details of the 3 different rings he had on hold at the jewellers. Went down to the jewellers the next morning, and I got to choose which one I liked most out of the three he chose :)

ving
31-05-2011, 11:16am
it was midnight and we were both in bed going to sleep... I rolled over casually towards her and whispered sweetly in her ear...

'wanna ruin our sex-life forever?' ;)

PH005
31-05-2011, 11:33am
3/4 of a bottle of JD. :Doh:

virgal_tracy
31-05-2011, 11:34am
We were on Holidays at Monkey Mia. We had driven half the day to get there from Geraldton. We had a look around and settled did some touristy things then had dinner in the restaurant. After dinner we walked back along the beach where we sat to watch the sunset over water, at which point I got on bended knee and asked if she loved me and when she replied yes asked her to marry me. I was showing a diamond at this point.

When we got back to Perth we spent a day looking around jewellers to find one whichwould design the ring around the diamond.

Waiting for the ring to be made and shipped to Sydney was the longest 3 weeks of her life I am sure. We had the wedding ring designed at the same time to complement the engagement ring.

Mark L
13-06-2011, 8:03pm
You could go to Kangaroo Valley and.......:lol: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?85873-Where-to-shoot-nice-countryside
Any decision been made about what you'll do?

Canon500D
13-06-2011, 8:13pm
It was new years eve 2006 going on 2007. It had just hit midnight. i was blotto. he's said will u marry me. was so estatic!!

been married 3 years this aug, and been together 5 in oct

I @ M
13-06-2011, 8:26pm
i was blotto.

true romance at its' Aussie best, fair near brought a tear to my eye. :cheeky33:

antongorlin
13-06-2011, 8:32pm
You could go to Kangaroo Valley and.......:lol: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?85873-Where-to-shoot-nice-countryside
Any decision been made about what you'll do?

no... have some small ideas, but nothing major to bind together.
also, her parents are having health troubles and I guess its not the correct time now...
but I will have to decide until August as we'll leave Australia then and my proposal's going to be the final chord of this 2 years adventure :)

thanks to all for input, your stories gave me some ideas!

antongorlin
25-06-2011, 5:00pm
got an idea.
I will order a "love story" photoshoot from someone (advise?) and spen couple of hours or whatever being shot. Then in the end with the camera facing us I'll just ask her :party6:
and give her some gift.
The nice stuff about this is that the whole process will be recorded.
The shortfall is that I can't invite friends without them knowing what's going on and without her becoming suspicious.

has to be somewhat polished of course :)

I @ M
25-06-2011, 5:09pm
That is a pretty good idea. :th3:

You could spin a bit of a line about how ***** who you know has just got new gear and he wants to do a shoot with a really dapper couple and you volunteered.
I reckon it would be a fun shoot all round and could be pulled off well with the right "actors", it would be the sort of thing that I would love to have a go at, I can keep a straight face well. :D

Xebadir
25-06-2011, 9:04pm
I asked at a picnic on a holiday to Tasmania, specifically at Freycinet National park a bit off the beaten track. The picnic was lobster from bicheno, olives, a baguette and a bunch of other nice things, desert was Strawberries, Dark Chocolate and then commando roll onto the knee engagement ring. While successful the marriage ended up taking the course of the rest of that day...fell down on the path back down from the Wineglass Bay lookout and badly sprained the ankle. The ankle has since healed...shame the marriage will never.

tcdev
26-06-2011, 9:43am
We drove up to Port Stephens for the weekend; the plan being nice long walk on Saturday followed by dinner and a spa that night and, being a horse nut, she had booked a ride for the both of us for the Sunday.

After a very nice day's hike on Saturday, we went out for a seafood dinner. We'd been together for 8 years, and we had talked about getting married, so she was expecting something to happen that night. She was a little disappointed that I didn't propose. On Sunday we checked out of the cabin and headed over to the ride. Whilst Saturday's weather was perfect, Sunday was overcast and actually started to sprinkle. She suggested we give the ride a miss, and head back to Sydney instead. I feigned mild apathy but suggested that since she had been looking forward to the ride so much, we should just go now that we were up here. The weather held out so we started on the ride.

We had our own guide, a very nice young girl, who took us on our ride. After about 45 mins she suggested we stop off by the lake. My then-gf was a little confused as she stepped down from the horse. The guide suggsted we walk over to the lake and check out the view, and whilst we did that, she quietly led the horses away. As we approached the lake, we came across a picnic setup, with champagne, strawberries, crackers etc. At that point, the gig was up.

We've been married for just over 3 years now and going strong. :th3:

pgbphotographytas
27-06-2011, 7:47am
Went and purchased the ring together, walked around town for a while, just about to get in the car when Sabrina asked when she was going to get it so I threw it to her walking down the street. Everybody who knows us thought it was just like us :)

shelly1170
27-06-2011, 5:40pm
It was a stinking hot, late December day in 2005. We headed into Sydney City so the boyfriend could pick up some mail from the office while I did some shopping. He rang and suggested we meet up at Lindt Chocolate Cafe.

After our order arrived, he said "something's missing...". "No, I have cake and hot chocolate, everything is here." "I'm sure something is missing...", he insisted. "No, I'm sure we have everything". "Oh, that's right!", he says and slaps his forehead. "Will you marry me?" and produces a small, grey Georg Jensen box. I was so excited, I had unwrapped the box before I said "YES!". :D

jeffde
27-06-2011, 7:52pm
Wrote a poem - gave it to my then girlfriend Juls over dinner - had a bad knee at the time so didn't kneel - she said yes so must have worked - still together BTW

old dog
27-06-2011, 8:31pm
Julie and I were on an Egypt trip in January 2009. She was sitting at the rear of a feluca on our little day cruise on the Nile. We had six friends with us and I handed my camera to one and headed down to the rear of the boat where Julie was sitting. She thought that I was joining her for a couple shot and when I got there I did the knee job. She broke up....never got an answer...got married anyway october that year. I certainly shocked all our friends as well as I hadn`t told anyone of my intention. Since then everyone accuses me of being so romantic....:confused013 got me beat....:D Got pics to prove it...:th3:

You may emulate my formula Anton....if you so wish...I worked very nicely...

Deb A
05-07-2011, 9:38pm
I had the most wonderful Proposal. I was spoilt all day with facials and massages, then I came home to a beautiful dinner that he cooked. Then a beautiful bubble bath just for me with candles and music and then he took me to the bedroom where he had lit hundreds of candles all around the room and sat me on the bed and asked me to marry him.:):):)

Robbo7D
05-07-2011, 10:50pm
I can now relate this story as my mate has since passed many years ago. A true story, but rather sad as well.

Four of us were sitting & chatting in his house (alcohol had been consumed), when he pulled his wallet out, grabbed the contents (approx $500), and threw the bundle of notes across the room to his girlfriend and uttered the classic romantic words.........here's $500 bucks, go buy yourself a ring!!

Well, she did....and it gets better (believe it or not!)

Fast forward to the wedding day......it was a lunch time wedding at a local hotel, the grooms idea was to get as many beers into himself as humanly possible (he succeeded). The reception finished about 4pm and the happy couple left for their wedding night to another hotel down the coast. While the bride was left pondering in the room, the groom made his way to the bar to continue the drinking. 20 minutes later he stumbles back to the room and announces they are leaving because no one would talk to him in the bar.

So they come back to the city & decide to book a room in the fanciest hotel in this wonderful provincial city. First thing he does in the room is to ring room service & order a slab of beer. The beers arrive promptly but he decides he doesn't want the crownies, he wants REAL beer. So the porter is sent packing and arrives soon after with a slab of VB's. The groom settles back on the bed to continue the onslaught, opens a can, takes a sip, then flakes it!

Now some brides may think they have had a dissapointing wedding night.....could it get much worse than this?

As i said earlier, he has passed on since, but they did have a solid, loving relationship for about 12 years.

Xenedis
20-07-2011, 10:42pm
I kind of didn't ......... somehow it just kind of happened ????

Britney Spears, is that you?

Scotty72
20-07-2011, 11:26pm
Britney Spears, is that you?

So Johnno, how will you pop 'the question' to the lovely Xenedette?

Scotty72
20-07-2011, 11:29pm
... he took me to the bedroom where he had lit hundreds of candles all around the room ...

That might have been terrifying... you may have though you were about to be offered up as some cult sacrifice. :lol:

antongorlin
25-07-2011, 3:24pm
I was sick for a week at home.
meanwhile the parcel with jewellery came to my office address.
so today was my 1st working day. I came to the office, checked the parcel, told her to sit at home for vague reason.
then took a bus, bought lots of flowers and burst in the apartment.
Then I gave her the flowers, told my monologue, gave a piece of jewellery and heard YES.
then i gave her several vouchers for massages, facials etc (thanks Deb A) and went back to work.
now I'm leaving to meet her in the city and we'll spend our evening walking at George St, eating at our fav Ajisen Ramen, followed by fantastic evening and night at Swiss Hotel with spa, sauna, jacuzzi. Then we'll see the sunrise and then I'll go to the office and she'll go home.

I decided to stay away from love story photo session for 2 reasons - too much depends on a photographer and the person she doesn't know may ruin the intimacy of the moment

Mark L
25-07-2011, 7:49pm
:party6::party6::party6::party6::wd::wd::wd::wd::love4::love4::love4::love4::party7::party7::party7::party7::party6::party6::party6::party6::th3::th3::th3::th3:

dt86vyss
25-08-2011, 8:04am
I booked a night at crown metropol, a nice hotel I'm Melbourne. We had a booking in the tram restaurant, which is a Very unique type of restaurant that travels around Melbourne over a 5 course meal. Thiss is where the question was asked. Unsurprisingly the answer was yes. great night out, highly recommend this to anyone.

Milbs1
25-08-2011, 9:50am
Congrats Mr Coldblood :D

I got a delivery of red roses and giant soft toy to work on Valentines Day (6 yrs ago). Was VERY out of character as my other half does not do flowers or valentines day normally. The proposal was on the card. I promptly phoned and thanked him for the flowers and embarrassment, but refused to answer his question until he asked me properly..in person!!! He did that evening and we shopped for a ring soon after. Still haven't got around to the wedding though!

outstar79
25-08-2011, 2:30pm
Probably the most unromantic proposal, more of a mutual agreement (at the Perth Zoo of all places) to get married after the first "accident".....

But I made up for it with a honeymoon Mediterranean Cruise.

geedee
25-08-2011, 4:44pm
I have to say that i did'nt. I would go to work for 8 hours a day, and i would be king for 8 hours. When i get home like a lot of blokes i know you would just sit quietly and do as your told. So when I was told we are getting married, the only option you have is to say Yes Dear. From there we went through the normal channels Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, & Suffer-ring

mongo
28-08-2011, 9:31am
Simple, Mongo just accepted Mrs Mongo's firm proposal