PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop resize

Adrian Fischer
26-05-2011, 11:22am
Hi all,

So Ive got the trial version of PS and am liking it so far. I have a need to resize images for uploading to my website. Photoshop can do it using Scripts>image processor.
I thought this would be great because it creates a new directory within the directory of images (saves as new image with same name) and you just set the size for width and height and regardless of portrait or landscape it resizes the set size on the longest edge. Very smart.

I did a test on 200 images that had already had resolution set to 72. It took 10 minutes!!

I have been using Paint Shop Pro for 10 years. I did the same 200 images using a script I made and it took 5 minutes.

Am I missing something here?
This was on my work machine which is only runing winxp 32 bit. At home on my editing machine Im runing win 7 64bit with 64 bit photoshop. Will that make a difference (Ive not tested at home)

I have an event coming up and I need to resize potentially hundreds of images at a time. Time is of the essence.

edit..irfanview did the same 200 in 3 minutes. Might be the go.
Thoughts?

James T
26-05-2011, 1:00pm
Dunno about the times, but it will depend on what it's doing of course. eg if it's stripping metadata, using fancier algorithms than the other programmes maybe? Have you done a quality comparison between the different outputs?

FWIW I use Lightroom for stuff like that and just export to s specified JPEG size. Never timed it, but I imagine it's quicker than PS opening up each image, resizing it and then saving it again.

EDIT to add: I actually find it easier to get a better looking result for web-sized images using LR compared to PS as well.

kiwi
26-05-2011, 2:20pm
use lightroom :)

Adrian Fischer
26-05-2011, 2:43pm
my only concern with lightroom is that I have to import the images into light room which takes time then export as jpg which takes time. Two processes. And...the person who will be doing this at the event will not be me so it need to be reeeaally simple.

kiwi
26-05-2011, 3:18pm
faststone is good also, like irfanview

lightroom for as you describe isnt going to be as easy, though it's ideal as depoending on your website can ftp or upload directly to it avoiding the resize step and the import can apply a preset for auto levels, sharpening etc

im not sure why posting to website is so time critical, in my experience at an event you either have viewing stations onsiite or you at least drive people to your website but very rarely will they even look for a day or so

Adrian Fischer
26-05-2011, 3:35pm
I have viewing stations on site (x8). the viewing stations are running from a local web server (wamp) so I need to upload them to the server. The ftp program I use can resize on the fly (it also creates thumbnails for gallery preview, normal view size and zoom view size. all this resizing by the ftp program is done at the server level. So feeding it full size jpgs makes it work very hard. I have found in the past if you resize before uploading you can reduce your upload times from 15+ minutes (for 200 images) to 5 minutes.

My localhost web system has in built shopping cart and striking whilst the iron hot pays divedends (its a two day event and the same teams compete both days so effectively a captive audience). After the event I transfer the database and images up to my web based setup and they are presented with exactly the same interface that they saw at the event. and the order keep on rolling in ( he said whistfully)

kiwi
26-05-2011, 3:43pm
cool, sounds to me like you need a really good local photographer to help out ;)

Adrian Fischer
26-05-2011, 4:59pm
if this pans out...I may just need that really good local photographer. :D

You menitoned at the sports shoot something about a forum for event /sports tog? Ive googled event photography etc but can seem to find anything good. Can you share it again please.

kiwi
26-05-2011, 7:37pm
Fred Miranda or sportsshooter

Will you be able to print onsite ?

Adrian Fischer
27-05-2011, 10:14am
baby steps....I know that would increase sales but its a bigger setup. I take orders and payments on the day. Deliver within 10 days (faster for digital downloads). As I said, if this pans out, printing might be on the cards but probably only for limited size images. Ive had my eye on one of these for ages but couldnt justify. Maybe now I can: Epson Stylus Photo R1900

kiwi
27-05-2011, 11:33am
Hmm, there's data to suggest printing onsite actually reduces sales too

Adrian Fischer
27-05-2011, 11:35am
I have seent that too. Certainly if you dont have the capacity to do it well and quickly. My reading suggests that people will just walk away. So for now Im happy with taking the orders with payment and fullfil later.