PDA

View Full Version : SIGMA is being sued by NIKON

colinbm
25-05-2011, 8:24pm
Sigma is being sued by Nikon :eek:
http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/25/nikon-idINL3E7GP11H20110525
This has been alluded to before & now it looks like it is happening !
Will Canon join in :confused013
It looks like the new Sigma 46mp crop sensor camera SD1 is a real threat :th3:
The big boys are worried, so out come the big guns :o
Will Sigma survive or is this the end of Sigma cameras & lenses ??????
Col

Kym
25-05-2011, 8:29pm
This is about Sigma adding OS (aka VR) to their lenses (so it appears)

I @ M
25-05-2011, 8:33pm
The real story behind it all would be interesting but going by the wording it looks like Nikon feel that Sigma have infringed on Nikon's patents relating to vibration reduction.
I somehow don't think that Canon will join in unless they can see that Sigma have also used patented technology belonging to Canon.
I really don't read anything about the SD1 being a threat to either of them into it but any of the OEM companies would rather not see another company taking lens sales from them.

agb
25-05-2011, 8:34pm
Yes, it reads that it is an infringement of a patent on VR, nothing to do with the camera.
Modest amount of money they want though, a mere 154million.

PJAD
27-05-2011, 7:57pm
It's certainly not a good time for Sigma, they have it rough because of the disaster (like the rest), their SD1 is at the same price range as the D3x but the IQ is not, Nikon wants to sue them, etc. I don't think the camera is a threat, but, the others should take note of emerging technologies. The old CFA sensor is like the reciprocating piston engine, been around for such a long time and it's not bad for what it is, but it can't stay like that forever. At least Sigma had the guts to try something different with the Foveon sensor.

Peter

fabian628
27-05-2011, 8:48pm
It's certainly not a good time for Sigma, they have it rough because of the disaster (like the rest), their SD1 is at the same price range as the D3x but the IQ is not, Nikon wants to sue them, etc. I don't think the camera is a threat, but, the others should take note of emerging technologies. The old CFA sensor is like the reciprocating piston engine, been around for such a long time and it's not bad for what it is, but it can't stay like that forever. At least Sigma had the guts to try something different with the Foveon sensor.
Peter

yeah I have to agree with this:th3:

geoffsta
27-05-2011, 9:14pm
Uhmm. Not a very big story.... A lot of details missing. Sigma must be using some of Nikons technology in their Optical Stabilization. There is no mention of the new camera.
Just hope this does not effect the prices of Sigma and Nikon lenses. :confused013

colinbm
27-05-2011, 10:03pm
Just to update with some more details & opinions from 'British Journal of Photography'.

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2073768/nikon-sues-sigma-lens-patent

Cheers
Col

colinbm
28-05-2011, 12:51pm
DPreview update
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1105/11052515nikonsigmadispute.asp

Nikon files patent infringement case against Sigma
Wednesday, 25 May 2011 17:09 GMT < Previous Next >
Nikon has announced it is suing Sigma for infringing two of its patents relating to image stabilized lenses. The company says it had attempted to negotiate a resolution but concluded 'filing a lawsuit was the only way it could protect its intellectual property.' Japanese website DCWatch is reporting the disagreement as relating to Japanese patents 3,755,609 and 3,269,223, which cover 'zoom lens that can shift the image' and equipment 'provided with an ultrasonic motor and vibration detector,' respectively. News agency Reuters reports Nikon as seeking around 12.6 billion Yen ($154m). Due to the ongoing legal process, Sigma declined to comment.

Press Release:

Nikon Corporation filed a patent infringement lawsuit in Japan
May 25, 2011 - Nikon Corporation (KIMURA Makoto, President, Tokyo, hereafter referred to as "Nikon") filed a patent infringement suit against Sigma Corporation (hereafter referred to as "Sigma") to Tokyo District Court on May 25, 2011. Nikon's lawsuit seeks an injunction against Sigma's manufacture and sale of infringing interchangeable lenses with vibration reduction for single lens reflex cameras, along with damages for past infringement.

Nikon has invested considerable resources in the form of research and development over a period of many years. Such investments have created intellectual property that are important business assets of Nikon and have enabled Nikon to continuously provide the products and services that satisfy its customers requirements.

Although Nikon attempted to resolve Sigma's patent infringement through negotiation, a non-adversarial resolution could not be reached. Consequently, Nikon concluded that filing a lawsuit was the only way it could protect its intellectual property.

I @ M
28-05-2011, 1:28pm
Just hope this does not effect the prices of Sigma and Nikon lenses. :confused013

Off course it will, Nikon lenses will keep getting more expensive and Sigma lenses will will stay the same price but with less features ( - OS )

I @ M
28-05-2011, 1:29pm
Sad state of affairs cos the way I see it the only losers in this battle will be you and I. :(

Lance B
28-05-2011, 2:35pm
Unfortunately, Sigma must abide by patents, otherwise nothing that is ever invented or produced will be safe from this sort of thing.

Scotty72
28-05-2011, 2:39pm
Assuming Sigma were a bit naughty, let's hope this important competitor is not brought to its knees... CANON / NIKON need competitors to keep their prices reasonable (if indeed they are :P)