PDA

View Full Version : Opening NEF file in Photoshop CS3

nobby58
25-05-2011, 9:18am
Hi, Just after some help and after digging around on this forum I think I may have the answer, but I'm not absolutely sure.

I've got a Nikon D7000 and after doing a course decided to take my photo's in the NEF format. My daughter has Photoshop CS3 which she uses to convert her photo's - taken on her Nikon (can't remember the model number - but it's an older camera). She has no problem opening her NEF files.

I tried to open NEF files taken on my camera and it comes up with an error message stating "Could not complete your request because it is not the right sort of document". After searching the internet I found this webpage at adobe - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows but I can't find any plug in for CS3 that will enable it to open the NEF files I take on the D7000.

I assume - (I hope I'm wrong) that the only option for me is to buy a newer version if I want to use Photoshop to manipulate the images?????

(I know I can change the format to .jpeg using other programs, but that seems to defeat the purpose of taking photo's in the NEF format in the first place).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

lay-z
25-05-2011, 9:36am
Unfortunately the only solution to edit D7000 NEF files is by upgrading to Photoshop CS5 - AFAIK, there is no plugin available to accommodate the new file type.

What you *can* do is open the NEF file in ViewNX 2 (free) and convert it to TIFF format for editing in CS3 but like you said, it defeats the purpose of shooting raw in the first place. The advantage of TIFF over JPG however is that it is still a lossless file format and retains all the details from a RAW file.

agb
25-05-2011, 9:40am
Already answered so I have removed my reply.
:oI am too slow arn't I.

nobby58
25-05-2011, 11:18am
What you *can* do is open the NEF file in ViewNX 2 (free) and convert it to TIFF format for editing in CS3 but like you said, it defeats the purpose of shooting raw in the first place. The advantage of TIFF over JPG however is that it is still a lossless file format and retains all the details from a RAW file.

Thanks for the reply Alan. Being new to all of this - I'm still finding it confusing. If I convert to TIFF using ViewNX 2- then the image will still retain all of the properties - as if it was still in NEF format?? Or is that too simplistic a way of looking at it???

Paul

ollie
25-05-2011, 11:36am
Can you update Adobe Camera Raw on its own?

nobby58
25-05-2011, 11:56am
Can you update Adobe Camera Raw on its own?
I've tried just about all the plugins I could find, I'm not sure about Adobe Camera Raw though...

No, that doesn't work either. (just tried it now) Thanks anyway.

ricktas
25-05-2011, 1:07pm
Convert them to DNG files then you can access them. Google adobe DNG convertor.

nobby58
26-05-2011, 12:47pm
Convert them to DNG files then you can access them. Google adobe DNG convertor.

Thanks for that Rick, it worked first time. Just a question - do the NEF files loose any quality when they're converted to DNG? (I'm sure it won't make a difference to me, being a rank amateur, but just interested to know)

peterb666
26-05-2011, 8:39pm
NEF and DNG are both RAW file formats and there should be no loss of quality. You also have the option of embedding the original NEF file inside the DNG but that will essentially double the file size plus it takes longer.

Adobe will not release an update of Camera RAW for the D7000 that is compatible with CS3. You would need to upgrade to CS5. I do most of my processing in Camera RAW and really like using it. If you want the latest version of Camera RAW, Photoshop Elements is the cheapest way to get it.

nobby58
30-05-2011, 9:58am
Thanks for all of the responses. Seems I have an awful lot to learn, but thankfully there are so many people with great knowledge (and skill) using this forum!! :)

RubyKatz
15-07-2012, 5:24pm
I have just learned something else about my new camera. Not that I know what a NEF file is, I can only assume it is a raw file, but I think I will be sticking with jpeg's for awhile as I only have CS3 as well....

Kym
15-07-2012, 5:30pm
I have just learned something else about my new camera. Not that I know what a NEF file is, I can only assume it is a raw file, but I think I will be sticking with jpeg's for awhile as I only have CS3 as well....

Your goal should be to shoot raw within a few weeks. The software that comes with you camera handles the conversions.
Seriously have a good look at the learning plan http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Learning_Plan_Details
also http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Appendix_B_-_Raw_and_White_balance

Bottom line, raw is the default for most photographers as it gives you more options, much more dynamic range and better white balance control

arthurking83
15-07-2012, 11:56pm

I'm not very well versed on Adobe software, but from this I gather that CS3 isn't able to open later model camera raw files, as the version of ACR that is required can't be updated to the version that has later raw file support.

So if your version of CS can't manage to open the latest version of a specific raw file type, at least do yourself a favour and still shoot in the NEF format.
You can still use Nikon's free ViewNX2.. no matter how horrible you think this program may be, it at least offers the ability to convert to jpg or tiff file types for processing, but you still get to archive the raw NEF file for posterity!! :th3:

Even tho you don't have the ability to open these raw files now, you may have in future .. so, if you ever feel the need you can come back to an image and revisit the processing for it.

Also, while jpgs are perfectly acceptable for most people's editing needs, tiff at least holds a bit more information within the file that allows for less destructive processing if you ever need it.

Try using ViewNX2(latest version HERE (http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17800/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzQyMzYwMzc3L3NpZC9QRTVmY2MxbA%3D%3D)) tweak raw files to something you think looks best, and then set ViewNX2 to convert those files to tiff.
From the tiff, you then edit in CS3, and save as jpg for whatever reason. I suppose you then delete the tiff files as they are no longer required, because you already have the NEF files(archives) and saved images for display(jpg files).

zollo
16-07-2012, 9:58pm
I am not 100% sure on this, (if someone who has cs3 and Lightroom could try it, to confirm) but you may be able to use Lightroom to render a raw file within photoshop cs3. you certainly can in later versions of photoshop. that way, you can edit the file in photoshop and Lightroom will keep the edits as an xmp sidecar (ie your editing will be non destructive)

you could try downloading a trial of Lightroom to see if it works