PDA

View Full Version : "A Tutorial Screen Grab"

William
24-05-2011, 3:46pm
:):)This can be moved by the Mods if needed , I want to write a Tutorial on processing , I have a problem , To make it easy I would like to use screen grabs to show the ongoing steps, , How do you !! And what is the easiest way to go about doing "Screen Grabs" for the Tute , Help ! , I know Photoshop and LR3 , But I'm lacking some basics :o, Make it Dummy proof please - Bill, BTW , I'm running XP Pro SP2 and IE8 , Or Firefox if needed

ksolomon
24-05-2011, 4:09pm
Can't help you Bill with the tech stuff but I look forward to seeing and reading your tutorial :)

ollie
24-05-2011, 4:15pm
Simplest way to do a single "grab" in windows is to click the window you want and press ctrl-alt-prtScrn (print screen). This will put a copy of the screen onto the clipboard, just open PS or MS Paint :D and paste it in.

If you are after screen recording software, there are a number of free ones about. I think Microsoft have one called "Expression" or similar.

Dylan & Marianne
24-05-2011, 4:15pm
Heya Bill - looking forward to the tute!
What I do is press the PrintScreen button which dumps the screen grab into the computers memory (I recall on one of my old PCs I had to press shift-PrintScreen for some reason)
If you have CS3 open, open up and create a new image and simply press Ctrl-V for paste and that should be all there is to it.
Hope that works for you?

edit : just read ollie's post about Ctrl Alt - I think I had to do that on a previous PC but am running windows 7 and just press the 1 button now.

ollie
24-05-2011, 4:18pm
@ dtoh, one grabs the entire screen, the other grabs the active window :)

William
24-05-2011, 4:49pm
:( I'll do it , But I'm still not sure about getting it off the Clip Board , I can type the Tute out out , But the screen grabs would be good , Thanks guys for the help - Bill , BTW , Not tonight, I'm haveing a Senior moment , Bloody visitors with VB :D

Kym
24-05-2011, 4:54pm
Win 7 has a snipping tool - I use that.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/screencapturefree/Free_Screen_Capture_Tools_for_Windows.htm

I suggest you link in the images for now, when done I'll copy them to our server into a tute folder and link from there. :)

I also recommend you post into the Library :th3:

colinbm
24-05-2011, 5:20pm
Hi Bill
Here is a freebie, for when the hang-over clears over. Hair-of-the-dog works well too :lol:

Screen Hunter software
http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Cheers
Col

Boofhead
24-05-2011, 5:32pm
If you are having no joy Bill let me know and I will bring a bourbon around and help sort it out :food04::beer_mug:

geoffsta
24-05-2011, 5:39pm
Well Bill it's very simple.. With the screen you want, hit "PrtScn" on the keyboard. Then open paint. Press "Ctrl + V" on the keyboard (Paste) to bring up what you just coppied. Use the select tool to select the area you want, and press "Ctrl + C" (Copy). Then go "File" "New" then "Ctrl + V" (Paste) The trick is the white space that is not needed in paint. On the bottom right hand corner of the white bit you will see a blue dot. Hold down the left mouse button on the blue dot, the resize to suit. Easy.

William
24-05-2011, 5:57pm
Thanks Geoff, But I don't have Paint, I hit Print / Screen and nothing happens , Sorry to be a pain , But maybe I have a Keyboard problem , I'm Running CS5 and LR3 in Windows XP Pro SP2 , I'm a Nerd at this :o

Kym
24-05-2011, 5:59pm
Try http://www.getpaint.net/ for light weight editing of screen grabs! Mucho betterer than Windoze paint.

William
25-05-2011, 10:01am
Thanks guys , Well I got this far :D Now I just have to plan a few things

dbax
25-05-2011, 10:15am
this should be interesting ;)

maccaroneski
25-05-2011, 10:26am
Screenhunter suggested above will give you a much smaller file size than hitting PrintScrn, as well as giving you the flexibility as to what to select. It's a great little program and until I upgraded to Windows 7 I used it all the time.

William
26-05-2011, 12:10pm
I'm on to it now, Don't expect it to be finished today !! I will post it and Adjust things in the Library Sandpit , With Kym's help , Bit of a bloody mission tho :D:th3:

William
26-05-2011, 5:33pm
Done all the screen grabs , Just got to work out how and where to put it , I'll need to adjust some things tho ,I need somewhere where I can keep on editing for a while to get it right ? And to be able to add comments between images , Of which there are 14 !! So far :confused013, Help Kym or Rick

Sobriquet
26-05-2011, 7:08pm
This is a great free program, have used it heaps.

Hi Bill
Here is a freebie, for when the hang-over clears over. Hair-of-the-dog works well too :lol:

Screen Hunter software
http://wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_free.htm

Cheers
Col

geoffsta
26-05-2011, 7:09pm
So. How did you end up doing it William? You seem to have worked it out well.
I normally use Word for creating the tutorials. You can resize the pictures to what size you want, and place the text on the left, right or below the image as long as you use "Text wrapping" and "Through".
Well Done.

William
26-05-2011, 7:18pm
Thanks Geoff, Ctrl, Alt, Print/screen, Open PS, New , Ctrl V, paste , Then work on the image , Brush tool and text etc , Flattern and then resize , Probably the long way round , But at least it worked :) , Dunno wether to upload it all to Flicka , Or Just attach to the Library (Sandpit) :confused013. I need to be able to edit after I post , And more than an hour after I start

colinbm
26-05-2011, 7:28pm
Ya sounding like an expert now Bill :th3:
Col

William
26-05-2011, 7:30pm
Ya sounding like an expert now Bill :th3:
Col

:lol: Far from it Col, I'm floundering here a bit for an old fart :D

dbax
26-05-2011, 8:27pm
I'd work on it as a word document Bill, paste in your grabs and add the text, then just copy and paste the whole doc into the tutorial area, I'm guessing :confused013