PDA

View Full Version : Why choose photography? Bloody expensive hobby isn't it?

Roosta
20-05-2011, 2:38am
So why?

What was it that got you to pick up the black box with some pointy thing off the front of it and start using it?

What was the one single driving force or still is, that draws you to the calling they call photography?

Love to hear/read your thoughts.

Family for me, merories (how soppy I know) but true. Wish I could get it right tho. LOL

And bloody expensive can this hobbie be? Lets be honest, if next door buys the "L" you have to have the IS, VR, HSM - OSM stability mount with double bed pan iso marco telefocus night vision radar using ultra sonic vibration motor (That's a joke girls about the sonic vibration motor, no, really it was. sorry) lens.

geoffsta
20-05-2011, 5:11am
Yep... But buying a boat, Harley, caravan or whatever midlife crisis is more expensive.

Namus
20-05-2011, 8:51am
The fact that photography can be transferred/utilised to document almost any facet of life/living. :th3:

Expensive is relative - I used to do road cycling (the expensive drop handlebar - Tour De France type bikes) for leisure, but considering you can't do it everywhere/whenever you like (within reason), I got the craps pretty quickly....re-read first sentence.

Edit: Thinking about it further - the fact that not only can I derive personal happiness from doing it, but that I can make others happy as well by taking photos.

Show me another hobby which covers all of these things and I'll seriously consider converting. Until then, photography it is :)

bobt
20-05-2011, 9:42am
I think it is because many of us have an artistic capability, a potential that they know cannot be realised via the traditional media of painting, drawing or sculpture. Photography allows anyone who has that latent artistic essence to realise their inherent creativity and fulfill the dream.

piXelatedEmpire
20-05-2011, 4:11pm
I think it is because many of us have an artistic capability, a potential that they know cannot be realised via the traditional media of painting, drawing or sculpture. Photography allows anyone who has that latent artistic essence to realise their inherent creativity and fulfill the dream.

I really like this explanation.

I can't really put my finger on why I love photography, I just find it such a relaxing endeavour to get out into the world and photograph things that I love (mainly birds).

fastr1red
20-05-2011, 5:47pm
I think photography is one of the CHEAPEST hobbies I have..but one that I will always be learning no matter what stage I'm at.
My other hobbies like motorcyling which I now instruct I get more satisfaction teaching people than simply riding, but boy the cost is high. Tyres, fuel, track time etc.
R/C Helicopters is another pasttime I enjoy, again cost of all that carbon when you crash is very high, plus the fuel and maintenance, yup costs more than my photography.

Satisfaction and relaxation points per dollar photography is on top of the list, adrenalin and excitement points per dollar it's got to be hardcore helicopter flying.

Keza
21-05-2011, 7:31pm
I can't draw, can't paint so photography was my creative release

Chilli
21-05-2011, 9:02pm
I am with bobt in releasing the creative in me.....that , and...... it is a silent companion

davidd
21-05-2011, 9:12pm
I like the fact that photography is both technical and artistic, I like the mix of both.

The technical part I have no trouble with, the artistic part is where I need to improve.

smallfooties
21-05-2011, 9:33pm
There's a story behind why i love photography so much and continue to do it... but i won't go into that here.... least it might bore you guys to sleep!
But i agree with the other answers - it's a fantastic way to be creative and to express all the things we want to express when we struggle with words.
I can draw and i can paint but i can only do so by copying pictures... which really annoys me...
Currently, photography is my only expensive hobby... I'm writing a book at the moment and that's my other "hobby" - cheap hobby in a way...
Considering i used to do multisports and enter races quite frequently now, that was way more expensive!
Let's just say, photography for me is like my middle man, when i want to convey a message to people... It is also my soul mate who is forgiving and loves me unconditionally... If i threw my camera against the wall in anger, it is not going to bounce back and hit me in my face in retaliation, unless if it was in a bouncing castle! kekeke...
Also, if i swear at it and leave it alone for a bit... it's not gonna be all whiney and demand my attention.... Although, the voice in my head would!
I've run photography groups at work and just seeing how it opens up some of my clients who are really unwell...well... that is just a bonus... :rolleyes:

Ms Monny
21-05-2011, 10:00pm
Well, I thought Quilting was an expensive hobby, but now I am into Photography I am considering NOT giving up my day job just so I can pay for my stuff (I am soon to quit my job to help the hubby with his business).

So, why did I get into this money-taker of a hobby??? The love of it! The way I now see the world and the way the world has literally opened up to me. I use to see images, that I thought would be good to photograph, as I was driving around but now it is like they have gone from 2D to 4D. Also, the photography is all me and what I do; not someone else's pattern or someone else's fabric collection. I chose the light, the colour, the pattern, the 'stitching' that binds it all together - it is my creativity. Yes, I could dye my own fabric and make my own patterns but it will never be like Photography!! :) (I still quilt though ;))

BTW, I was just talking to hubby about this and he said definately not as expensive as classic car collecting (the real ones not the models LOL). It is as expensive as you make it and you only spend what you can afford....he can't have that $100,000 Monaro, so he is happy to settle for the $15,000 EH Holden; it all comes down to perspecitve!!

Xenedis
21-05-2011, 10:08pm
All of my hobbies are expensive.

I have been a musician for 25 years, and have a swag of gear. Guitars, drums, etc., aren't cheap.

I am a target pistol/rifle shooter, and guns and ammo aren't cheap.

I am a photographer, and as we all know, good gear is expensive.

A few years ago I considered taking up flying (planes), and flew once. As any pilot knows, that is a HUGELY expensive activity.

While most activities can be quite expensive, I think the simple answer is that we do what we do because we love it.

Milbs1
22-05-2011, 11:21pm
Started off as "I'd like a decent camera to get some nice photos of the kids", now it's my escape and I find myself obsessed with clouds, sunrise and sunset times, location scouting.

A big part of it for me is social though. Meeting people like yourself Roosta that I would probably never get to know outside of photography but find an instant connection through our hobby :)

mitgonk
23-05-2011, 11:48am
A big part of it for me is social though. Meeting people like yourself Roosta that I would probably never get to know outside of photography but find an instant connection through our hobby :)

fantastic reply!

Speedway
23-05-2011, 12:58pm
I have always had an interest in photography; my Father was a keen photographer and did a lot of studio work in the late 40’s early 50's. He took the photos with an old wooden plate camera, developed, enlarged and printed them and Mum coloured them. As far as expensive hobbies go, my other hobby, speedway racing was far more expensive. A pre season engine freshen up could cost up to $20,000, tyre bill for season $10-15,000, fuel $100-150 per meeting, plus transport costs on top of that. So I don’t find photography all that expensive even on my limited income (pension).

Colourised
24-05-2011, 3:01am
i think the interest sparked when i looked through travel magazines snapping beautiful landscapes and resorts, beaches etc. made me want to go there myself and capture the moment on my own :rolleyes: