PDA

View Full Version : Taking Reflections ?

dragons girl
19-05-2011, 11:02pm
Hi all

I am planning on going out tomorrow to do some photos of reflections (set subject for camera club) What advice would you give on settings to use ? I have a canon 550d also any other hints or tips would be appreciated ? :D

Cheers
Kylie

markjaffa
20-05-2011, 12:03pm
Not an image I have tried for very often, but a few things spring to mind. If you are shooting reflections in a body of water, your shutter speed needs to be quick enough to "freeze" any wind that might be around, distorting the surface of the water. A decent amount of wind will kill reflections - the fracturing of the image into lots of smaller mirrors could look quite cool too. Once you have worked out your shutter speed, and identified your target DOF(aperture), you will have to modify your ISO to allow the settings you decided upon. Full manual mode would be my choice for doing something like this - but Tv would be a good choice too - set shutter speed, and modify ISO to allow the aperture you want. Hope this helps

Ionica
20-05-2011, 12:37pm
Unless you particularly want a mirror-like, smooth reflection, it may be worth taking a few when the wind causes small ripples in the water. I've taken some at a lake of tree reflections ( with Autumn foliage) this past month, and a small amount of ripples and waves can create some very interesting patterns in the water.

lay-z
20-05-2011, 1:34pm
Also don't forget to remove polariser(s) from the lens(es) you will be using

dragons girl
21-05-2011, 7:37pm
Hi all

Thanks for your comments i went out on friday and got a few pics but as not long after i turned up there the wind started and two boats came up the creek and spoilt the shots :( I will probably be going back there tomorrow :)

Kylie

dbax
21-05-2011, 7:46pm
Hey Kylie, you said reflections, think outside the box, windows, mirrors, glass, chrome, steel. look for objects/subjects that include reflections. Food for thought ;)