PDA

View Full Version : Phottix wired remote control

dbose
19-05-2011, 9:38pm
Hi guys I have this remote for my D90 - it's a Phottix TC501 (the one that has timer controls). I must be dumb but after trying hard for the last 5 days coul dnot open the battery compartment to change the battery. I have tried taking the screws out - that did not work. Tried opening the part which shows an arrow (even with a screw driver that has now left marks) but coul dnot open it :D:D:D - any ideas please:o:o

nixworries
21-05-2011, 10:57am
http://martybugs.net/blog/downloads/Phottix_Nikos_instructions.pdf
http://www.phottix.com/en/customer-support

maybe of some help,

dbose
22-05-2011, 5:27pm
http://martybugs.net/blog/downloads/phottix_nikos_instructions.pdf
http://www.phottix.com/en/customer-support

maybe of some help,

please do not open either attachments as one of them has a virus which has damaged my entire c drive cluster making the laptop unusabe.

nixworries
22-05-2011, 6:22pm
there is no virus on these links, one is a standard pdf openable with any pdf viewer and the other is to there customer service inquiry form. i have open both several times

dbose
22-05-2011, 11:15pm
there is no virus on these links, one is a standard pdf openable with any pdf viewer and the other is to there customer service inquiry form. i have open both several times

I hope and believe you are right. I had opened the same pdf files before from Phottix before. Coincidence or not - as soon as I opened the first file I got a message about a trojan and then IE shut down and gradually all the programs started shutting down - gave me errors about clusters in 'C' drive being corrupted - the whole system froze. I re-started several times still no good. I am still working on it trying to restore to an earlier date and clean it if I can. Not blaming you in any ways mate but just being cautious so as it was quite a coincidence...

nixworries
23-05-2011, 5:53pm
if you can download a free program called Malwarebytes it is the best program for removing a virus/trojan or malware. the best way to run it is in safe mode.
i will check my system but i use avast antivirus it has not detected anything. i hope you can restore the drive, a virus attack is the most frustrating experience.

arthurking83
23-05-2011, 7:05pm
I opened the Phottix link on my PC and there was no problem.
At my end it was just a link to contact Phottix's support.

I can't remember if I opened the Martybugs link tho. Not really willing to try now! :eek:

dbose
28-05-2011, 7:03am
I opened the Phottix link on my PC and there was no problem.
At my end it was just a link to contact Phottix's support.

I can't remember if I opened the Martybugs link tho. Not really willing to try now! :eek:

All good guys - I have managed to restore the drive (after a LOT of pain):D:D

On the surface it appears to be a simple pdf file but believe me the Martybugs link was not the best thing to open...

arthurking83
28-05-2011, 8:07am
OK.. I believe 'ya on the topic of attracting bugs from martybugs, but I still can't fathom the notion of not being able to open a 'simple' battery compartment! :confused013
(I almost invariably break 'em open .. so there may be a slight disjunction of operational ease here!).

Have you succeeded yet? Can you take a few images of the casing.. obviously as close as possible to get some detail of it.

I've got the Nikon intervalometer remote, and the battery case opens easily.. it has too!!! :devil1: Some incompetent nitwit at Nikon decided that a battery operated device doesn't need an on/off switch, so the device is on all the time when you put batteries into it. Smart huh? :rolleyes: How many hours you reckon the batteries last?
To make this thing work, you need to remove install the batteries all the time, otherwise you chew through batteries like you would a pack of Allens 'Party Mix'(<- they'd barely last me a minute or two, this bag of lollies!).

At least a photo or two of the casing may help someone twig to the device or some similar device they'd had to deal with.

For instance: the Nikon ML-L3 infra red remote has a very secure battery compartment. There is a very slim trap door where you install a watch type battery, and to open the hatch you need two hands, where you release a safety type lock and pull at the trap door at the same time. Problem is that, as you use your nail to release the lock on the trap door, you put inward pressure on the trap door which makes it hard to open.
ie. the action to open the battery compartment needs to be a deliberate act of patience as you sequentially break each and every nail on your fingers trying to get the battery out! :D

I'm going to open up my Nikon remote one day and install a small switch.. to turn it into a sensibly designed device!

dbose
30-05-2011, 11:14am
OK.. I believe 'ya on the topic of attracting bugs from martybugs, but I still can't fathom the notion of not being able to open a 'simple' battery compartment! :confused013
(I almost invariably break 'em open .. so there may be a slight disjunction of operational ease here!).

Have you succeeded yet? Can you take a few images of the casing.. obviously as close as possible to get some detail of it.

I've got the Nikon intervalometer remote, and the battery case opens easily.. it has too!!! :devil1: Some incompetent nitwit at Nikon decided that a battery operated device doesn't need an on/off switch, so the device is on all the time when you put batteries into it. Smart huh? :rolleyes: How many hours you reckon the batteries last?
To make this thing work, you need to remove install the batteries all the time, otherwise you chew through batteries like you would a pack of Allens 'Party Mix'(<- they'd barely last me a minute or two, this bag of lollies!).

At least a photo or two of the casing may help someone twig to the device or some similar device they'd had to deal with.

For instance: the Nikon ML-L3 infra red remote has a very secure battery compartment. There is a very slim trap door where you install a watch type battery, and to open the hatch you need two hands, where you release a safety type lock and pull at the trap door at the same time. Problem is that, as you use your nail to release the lock on the trap door, you put inward pressure on the trap door which makes it hard to open.
ie. the action to open the battery compartment needs to be a deliberate act of patience as you sequentially break each and every nail on your fingers trying to get the battery out! :D

I'm going to open up my Nikon remote one day and install a small switch.. to turn it into a sensibly designed device!

Thanks mate - it was me all the while - I was an idiot :rolleyes:. I got frustrated, waiting for Phottex to get back to me. Took the remote to JB-HiFi and the guy opened it in less than 10 sec. - I had to press one side and it opens like magic:D:D

All good now - pheewww...

mpot
06-09-2011, 11:00pm
On the surface it appears to be a simple pdf file but believe me the Martybugs link was not the best thing to open...

Errmm....the PDF on my website is definitely clean, and was not the source of your infection.