PDA

View Full Version : Ayres Rock advice please

Tengu
17-05-2011, 10:09pm
I am going on a work conference next week to Uluru and will be going on a sunset tour. Of course I am taking the camera...!

Ive never been out there and dont know what to expect.

Having only a short time to take pics Id love some advice on how to get the best shots I can.

I have:
Nikon D60
Nikkor 18-55
Nikkor 55-200
Nikkor 18-135
Nikkor 35 f1.8
Sigma 150-500
Tripod and gorillapod
Remote shutter release

I am reasonably confident with the camera and the full Manual mode as well
Any advice will be very much appreciated

ricktas
17-05-2011, 10:13pm
Use the 18-55 at 18mm to get a nice wide angle, use your tripod and shutter release, as the light dims you will need longer exposure times. Use lowest ISO your camera has (ISO 100 generally). Consider a polariser if you have one for getting good contrast and nice deep rich colours, but as the sky darkens you might need to remove it.

Walk around at your chosen sunset location, don't follow the horde and setup beside the bus, wander around, you might find a nice bush to use in the foreground, or a tree to place off to the side in your shots, maybe a track leading towards the rock through the scrub, that can be used as a leading line, to guide the viewers eyes from the foreground to the rock and sky.

Tengu
20-05-2011, 7:30pm
thanks Rick,
why the 100 ISO?

Im thinking of taking my wifes D60 as well, one on the tripod, one in hand
Id like to be able to get a series of shots as the sun goes down

Is it worth taking my 150-500?
Im not sure how close I can get to the rock

Brian500au
21-05-2011, 1:51am
The best photography spots are a good 1000m away where the rest of the tourists do hang out (hence why they are the best viewing angles). When i was there I used a 24 - 105 and kept shooting for around an hour as the sun went down and i ran out of light. My favourite shot of the day is on my weblink if you want to have a look at what you can achieve with a little bit of patience. If you get chance it is a great walk around the rock, by memory I think it is around 10kms.

Tengu
21-05-2011, 12:37pm
I am lucky to get the time I am getting for the sunset. There is no chance this time to go for a walk... work priorities.

I am thinking if I am really lucky I might get some late night shots for star trails as well

If I am a whole kilometre away, wont I need my zoom lenses as well?
(rather than working with wide angles around 18mm?)

Brian500au
23-05-2011, 1:21am
I know i did not have problems with my 24-105mm lens, so your 18-135mm should cover the range no problems.

crf529
23-05-2011, 2:18pm
If I am a whole kilometre away, wont I need my zoom lenses as well?
(rather than working with wide angles around 18mm?)

Don't underestimate the size of that rock lol, 1km sounds alot more than it looks.

Tengu
03-06-2011, 1:12pm
Well I went and had a great time...

I thought the rock was huge from the airport... which turns out to be 20km awa from it!
I got up close and personal and I got shots from the sunset tourist spot
I also found a nice lookout near the resort and went out at night to learn/experience night photography

had a blast and will throw some shots onto another thread when I get a chance (away from work) to sort them out