PDA

View Full Version : 60d Exposure compensation question

Danielle10
17-05-2011, 7:27pm
Hello everyone,
Not sure if I'm understanding this or not.
When I'm shooting on manual mode on my 60d I understand how to adjust the shutter speed and the aperture bit how do I adjust the exposure compensation? Does the camera just determine the exposure??

colinbm
17-05-2011, 8:06pm
Hi Dani
Can't answer sorry, but will be interested in the answers :-)
Any pix of the tarts trip :confused013
Col

William
17-05-2011, 8:24pm
Hi Danielle, I have a 30D , When you shoot in manual, in a Canon, Exposure Compensation is dissabled , Because your already playing with Shutter and Aperture to get the right Exposure , You dont need Compensation if your already compensating yourself by adjusting to the Histogram or Lightmeter, Thats my take anyway , Hope this helps - Bill :)

kiwi
17-05-2011, 8:24pm
Exposure compensation has no effect if in manual, it does effect the meter thru the viewfinder but not the exposure

Danielle10
18-05-2011, 6:19am
Thankyou, I kinda figured as much. Just wasn't sure. When I looked at the screen I had 1/250 and f5.6 but the exp compensation said -3, so I thought oh oh. Mind u, I got some fabulous shots of the full moon and stars last nite.

@ col, :-P

Bennymiata
18-05-2011, 1:12pm
When you are in Manual Exposure mode, the little bar graph that ususally shows your exposure is actually showing you what the difference is between your settings, and what the camera thinks is the correct exposure.
If the little needle is showing -3, then the camera thinks you are underexposing by 3 stops.
If the needle is in the + side, then the camera says that you are overexposing.

Get the camera set up and play with the lens opening or shutter speed, and watch the little needle move appropriately.

Taking night shots is a good example, because if you set the exposure that the camera thinks is correct, you'll get a shot that looks almost like daylight, whereas you are usually trying to get just the lights, so you do need to underexpose the photo.