PDA

View Full Version : Setting exposure - EV compensation

sonickel77
17-05-2011, 3:36pm
Hi
I've found that my camera (Nikon D40X) tends to overexpose the image when matrix metering, leading to highlight clipping.

I've been messing about with EV compensation, it ranges from 0.3 to 2.3 EV, depending on how high contrast the image is.

Is this an acceptable way of working (mess about with EV compensation until you get an image without highlight clipping) or is there a more professional way of doing it?

kiwi
17-05-2011, 4:14pm
EV compensation works well, in addition you can on most Nikons actually set a default EV comp for all photos too if you find it's a consistent problem to you.

zollo
17-05-2011, 6:01pm
yeah i find my nikons tend to 'protect' the shadows too, thus prefering to blow out
the highlights. use Kiwi's recommendation above its quick and easy. its not really a fault as such its the way the sensors are calibrated at the factory.

macca05
26-06-2011, 7:40am
Ive been using my nikon d5000 now for about 18 months and have found for some reason I am now starting to use my Exposure Comp alot more than i used too. Maybe its because I understand it alot more now. But I have found the that when I use the A,S or M modes Im more starting to use the cameras Histogram to check if an image is correct, and from that I can adjust the Exposure Comp to make sure Highlights and Shadows are not Blown... :) :) :)