PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for travelling

arnica
17-05-2011, 12:13pm
Hi All,

Manfrotto 190XPROB with 488RC2 head. Last year I went to Tassie with the pregnant Missus, and found carrying my camera gear quite tiring.

I'll be traveling to Asia at the end of the year (6 weeks) and I can see us doing a fair bit of walking as well. But what will make it more challenging than our previous holiday is the inclusion of our 1 year daughter. I can picture either Myself of the missus carrying little Evelyn around whilst also lugging the camera ...

So looking forward, I would like to get another tripod (and head maybe) for the trip.

I know there's a few threads on tripods already, but rather than hijack other people's threads, I thought I'd create my own.

I will be taking the following camera gear to the trip:

D700
12-24mm
24-70mm
70-200mm (still deciding)

Do we have any suggestions?

flame70
17-05-2011, 12:34pm
I'd be thinking do I really need the tripod. I had to take one recently to the UK only because I needed to video and rather than take my heavyweight video gear used the 5D. However for all the other shoots I didn't really need my Stix although it was handy in the back of the car. But you have to think of airline weight and size. If you really need one you could always hire in Asia as gear over there is really cheap to hire. If you want to get people shots then the 70-200 is a good idea. What is really handy is a good shoulder strap for your camera so you can spread the weight across both shoulders.

arnica
17-05-2011, 12:43pm
Thanks Jez,

However I do see myself taking some long exposure shots so the tripod will be required. I've never thought of the idea of hiring tripods over there. But it does seem like a good idea. However I would like to purchase another one cos my current tripod legs are really hard to extend .. maybe it's due to the dried sea salt in them?

harper
17-05-2011, 3:11pm
try the Benro travel angel series

they compact to a reasonable size and have quite a good load rating.

i purchased one from photoshop studios in sydney and i couldnt be happier with it

arnica
17-05-2011, 3:49pm
try the Benro travel angel series

they compact to a reasonable size and have quite a good load rating.

i purchased one from photoshop studios in sydney and i couldnt be happier with it

I just had a quick look at a review on youtube, tiny little fellow. I',l pencil that one in for now. I've got a few months to do my research before going overseas, so I'll see what other options are available.

junqbox
17-05-2011, 3:56pm
I use a Manfrotto 7215(?) (similar to the now MKC3-P01) for travelling light. Sturdy enough for a similar kit to yours. otherwise I have an 055 with 322 in a homemade PVC road case for domestic flight travel.
Don't need to change your release plates etc.

arnica
17-05-2011, 4:11pm
I use a Manfrotto 7215(?) (similar to the now MKC3-P01) for travelling light. Sturdy enough for a similar kit to yours. otherwise I have an 055 with 322 in a homemade PVC road case for domestic flight travel.
Don't need to change your release plates etc.

I was also having a think about the release plates as well. If I do get another brand, I'll have to also get release plates for my lens and body too. It's not going to be much, but more of a hassle that's all.

Blueywa
23-05-2011, 3:09pm
Why not consider a Monopod ?
I have one which travels really well either attached to my Lowepro Slingshot 302AW, or in walking stick mode.
My Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead is easy to attach/removed.