PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5D MKII - lenses and pricing

Fedgrub
16-05-2011, 4:18pm
Hi all,

Just was taking a look at the 5D MKII and the general cost for it seems to be around $4,500 including a 24-105mm lens. The body alone is $3350.

The 18-135mm lens on its own is ~$699. That comes to $4,049, and has a longer zoom range on the lens.

How does this work? Do people pay more for convinience? Or will the stand-alone lens be of a lesser quality?

Thanks!

ElectricImages
16-05-2011, 4:42pm
The 24-105 is a superb "L"-series lens with an 8-blade constant minimum aperture, focal distance indicator, and high quality optical components, as well as a quiet and fast ultrasonic ring motor for focusing.

On the other hand, the 18-135mm lens is not really as good, with a 6-blade aperture (which will result in choppier bokeh in images), no focal distance indicator, and a louder, slower auto-focus motor, and won't even fit on a 5D Mark II as it is an EF-S, rather than an EF-mount lens.

In practical terms, the 18-135mm is actually quite a good "all rounder" lens on an EF-S body such as the 7D. However, given that it cannot fit on a full-frame body like the 5D Mark II, it shouldn't be considered as a potential lens if you're specifically looking at that camera body.

achee
16-05-2011, 4:57pm
Fedgrub, yes you got it, the stand-alone lens in your example is of a lesser quality. There is a lot more contributing to lens value than the focal length. Aperture, mount, focusing motor, image stabalisation, filter size, build construction, weather sealing, optical quality (check reviews), etc etc. I'd highly recommend this resource to learn more about lenses:

http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html

:)

Bennymiata
17-05-2011, 12:30pm
If you are getting a 5D MkII, the 24-105 is a perfect match and will suit your everyday needs.
The image quality is excellent as is the IS.

If you put anything less than L lenses on that body, the quality will suffer as the sensor in the camera can realy show up any deficiencies in the lens.

achee
17-05-2011, 2:10pm
I'd agree that the 24-105 f4L IS would make an excellent general-purpose lens.

If you put anything less than L lenses on that body, the quality will suffer as the sensor in the camera can realy show up any deficiencies in the lens.

IMHO that isn't always right - there are lots of non-L-series lenses that have superb image quality.

Fedgrub
17-05-2011, 5:38pm
Thanks heaps for everyones advice. I've learnt a lot already!

Sorry for the silly questions, I am just a little confused. I currently own a D90 at the moment but I think I would be better suited to Canon because all my friends use Canon and so it's easier for us all to trade our equipment between us.

I'm going to take a read of the link Achee provided and return with any questions.

rowdy23
17-05-2011, 6:20pm
hi fed grub ....
why you thinking of 5dmk2 ?
some of our awesome shooters on here ( dtoh for one ) uses a 7d for for some of his shots and they are amazing

its how the camera is used/understood and the post processing to bring out the best in a shot.

dont go crazy will cash if you dont need to, what about a 7d or a 60d and get some nice lenses ?

Fedgrub
17-05-2011, 7:28pm
Only because my friends are really happy with theirs. It's not really particularly for any of it's unique features to be honest - so I think you're right - I'll take a look at the 7D.

I read a thread the other day about the 7D and the 5D MKii and people say they compliment each other really well. Which makes me think - what are the core differences between these? Do any owners know what each model's strengths are?

Thanks!

pmack
17-05-2011, 10:19pm
there's millions of threads comparing the two cameras. do a search.
In summary 7D = sport, so fast burst speed and the 1.6 crop factor to give you more effective zoom if you like, and takes EF-S lenses (and EF lenses)
5D = better image quality due to larger sensor (and lower pixel density), better in low light, it's full frame so you can get slightly shallower depth of field for the same aperture, only takes EF lenses, so EF-S lenses won't fit it as has been pointed out.
7D also has a few more slightly novel features on it due to it being a more recent camera, eg. electronic level. It's cheaper so you might consider it much better value if you have no need for full frame.
To be honest your post suggests you have very limited understanding of photography gear, which is fine, but one would think a 60D would be a little more appropriate for you, but if you've got money to spend...
Plus judging from your avatar, i'd say you're a girl, in which case you might find the 7D or 5D too big for your hands, and you might prefer the feel of the 60D.

Fedgrub
18-05-2011, 1:22pm
there's millions of threads comparing the two cameras. do a search.
In summary 7D = sport, so fast burst speed and the 1.6 crop factor to give you more effective zoom if you like, and takes EF-S lenses (and EF lenses)
5D = better image quality due to larger sensor (and lower pixel density), better in low light, it's full frame so you can get slightly shallower depth of field for the same aperture, only takes EF lenses, so EF-S lenses won't fit it as has been pointed out.
7D also has a few more slightly novel features on it due to it being a more recent camera, eg. electronic level. It's cheaper so you might consider it much better value if you have no need for full frame.
To be honest your post suggests you have very limited understanding of photography gear, which is fine, but one would think a 60D would be a little more appropriate for you, but if you've got money to spend...
Plus judging from your avatar, i'd say you're a girl, in which case you might find the 7D or 5D too big for your hands, and you might prefer the feel of the 60D.

I'm actually male, I just love Japan and Hello Kitty is a mascot for it in my eyes.

You're probably right about not being able to take advantage of the MKII's features, and the 7D might be better suited to me (which I mentioned I would take a look at). I've used a 60D and while they are good, I don't like to upgrade continuously and rather go with a camera that I can grow into for a considerable amount of time. Considering I am doing photography units at university and it ties in with my work, I will also be able to get a decent deduction for a new purchase. Thats my thinking behind it anyway. I'm still around 4 months off making a new purchase, just doing some initial research. I might even stick with my D90, who knows.

Thanks for your info!