PDA

View Full Version : Sydney's Northern Beaches... just out of curiosity.

Geoff79
16-05-2011, 12:35pm
Hey all,

At the tail end of Summer this year I decided to start making a really early start on Saturdays, getting out to a different coastal destination each week, taking a few snaps before and just after sunrise and then hit the water for an early surf. I had a few good (inexperienced as they were/are) sessions from Middle Head to Manly (slowly working myself all the way up to Palm Beach and everywhere inbetween, is the plan).

I went to Fiji inbetween and since I've been back it's been freezing and my enthusiasm has somewhat faded at the moment. But this weekend with a lot of swell around I did get up pretty early on both Saturday and Sunday and tried to sneak in a couple of snaps at both Mona Vale and North Narrabeen near the pools there (admittedly, a little lazily just after sunrise)... however, both locations already had customers. lol.

I've noticed this at Dee Why and Newport also on two occasions I got out there. I've never really noticed other more "serious" photographers out and about at these sort of hours, but judging by posts here there's probably a few out there.

Anyway, long-winded point of this post is, are these people I'm seeing out there early on Saturday or Sunday mornings members of this forum, by any chance? Are there a few regular early starters on the Northern Beaches here?

Just curious... :)

Doninoz
16-05-2011, 12:47pm
Hi Geoff, I am one of those (crazy) people and Saturday mornings are the best because my family is still in bed. Was at Manly last weekend with a long lens trying to catch the early riders and some sunup photos. Maybe we could do something together one day. Regards Don

Not the best I've taken but the morning wasn't all that great if you remember!

Geoff79
16-05-2011, 12:50pm
Hey Don... perhaps indeed. I saw a few guys with the long lenses at Warriewood this weekend too. The surf was great and I'm sure they'd have got some great snaps. I wish I had a small but good waterproof camera I could take out in the surf because the waves at the moment would make for stunning photos, even if they are not all perfectly rideable. ;)

Doninoz
16-05-2011, 12:53pm
Hey Don... perhaps indeed. I saw a few guys with the long lenses at Warriewood this weekend too. The surf was great and I'm sure they'd have got some great snaps. I wish I had a small but good waterproof camera I could take out in the surf because the waves at the moment would make for stunning photos, even if they are not all perfectly rideable. ;)

I've added you as a friend...we'll keep in touch. I don't surf anymore as I broke my neck back in the late seventies and I have to be carefull but I like to stand on the sideline and snap photos...

I was on the Warriewood headland photographing...I love to photograph the para sails.

ameerat42
16-05-2011, 12:53pm
I've thought the same as I've ambled along photogenic places. Maybe one of these (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?84234-Would-you-buy-a-PHOTOGRAPHER-quot-T-shirt) - a jumper version - would help after all.
Am.

Doninoz
16-05-2011, 1:50pm
I've thought the same as I've ambled along photogenic places. Maybe one of these (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?84234-Would-you-buy-a-PHOTOGRAPHER-quot-T-shirt) - a jumper version - would help after all.
Am.

At least something you can pull out if you are pulled up. I have a jacked with my own website logo on it www.sydneynaturally.com.au. When stopped and asked I say that I am from Sydney Naturally and I document Sydney and it's interests and environs. seems to be accepted each time. If I know I'm going to be in an area in contention taking the wife is always prudent...they dont' seem to target women much???

Exposed Monkey
20-05-2011, 5:03pm
Hey Geoff,
I'm often out most days from just before Sunrise on the Northern Beaches, especially Manly to Warriewood. I'm mainly shooting the surfers, but have just invested in a Lee Filter system, so will be doing a lot more scenery in the near future.. There are some amazing places to take shots from, some are a little hidden away though.

Exposed Monkey
20-05-2011, 5:05pm
Yep, I was the one on the south cliff face :) http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.202383679799425.43668.125902247447569

maccaroneski
20-05-2011, 5:57pm
I'm on the beaches, and am out early from time to time. Haven't been out for a couple of months but plan to shortly.

You should post in the meets forum when you go - there are always a few from the forum keen to get out up here.

With that profile pic though I'm surprised that you made it out alive :)

Xenedis
20-05-2011, 6:02pm

Nobody on the Insular Peninsula would even notice a rabid westie in the area.

Geoff79
20-05-2011, 6:30pm
Yep, I was the one on the south cliff face :) http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.202383679799425.43668.125902247447569

Haha, I probably walked by you that very morning! I was the idiot out front of the cliff face with my bodyboarder buddy. Awful place as everything was completely closing out (and it wasn't exactly small either) but I HATE crowds and would sometimes rather surf crap by myself than surf awesomeness with the masses... just not that good. :(

Anyway, nice snaps!

I'm on the beaches, and am out early from time to time. Haven't been out for a couple of months but plan to shortly.

You should post in the meets forum when you go - there are always a few from the forum keen to get out up here.

lol. Yeah, massive fan of the Mighty Eels, as hard as it is sometimes. I proudly sport my Eels towel when I dry myself off after a surf too. :D

Don't get me wrong, I hate Parramatta, but I love the team. I'd love to live on the Northern Beaches (if someone wants to spot me a cheeky million), but the Eels would still be my team. Not a fan of Manly at all. ;)