PDA

View Full Version : VIVID SYDNEY LIGHT SHOW - SATURDAY 28th MAY

NikonNellie
14-05-2011, 5:51pm
Well it's that time of the year again folks when we all rug up and venture into the City for the spectacular "Vivid Sydney Light Show".

I would suggest that we meet at Custom's House at 5pm, maybe grab some dinner, ready for the show to begin at 6pm. Parking will be a challenge!

Here's a very shortened version of what's on offer this year.

CUSTOMS HOUSE-
Nothing is as it seems as one of Sydney’s most stunning colonial buildings, Customs House, turns into glass, mercury, paper, water – and even disappears completely – in a dizzying state of the art projection display.

Large-scale image projection experts The Electric Canvas transform this iconic sandstone architecture with a series of 3D-mapped animation sequences.

LIGHT SCULPTURES-
Vivid Sydney will include over 40 stunning light art installations from local and international artists in a free outdoor exhibition where children are encouraged to climb on interactive sculptures and aspiring photographers can put their night camera settings to the test.

People of all ages will enjoy this sensory experience, interacting with diverse and colourful sculptures including an enormous sketchpad where you can draw your own light art, a giant crystal spiderweb shimmering in the dark, a social network of friendly fireflies that that react to torch light and a group of rainbow life-size men.

FIRE DANCE-
FireDance is an incredible performance of dancing flames choreographed to music, the likes of which has never been seen in Australia before.

Using 40 jets of flame higher than a three-story house, FireDance will explode 5 times a night every night of Vivid Sydney – making Campbells Cove in the Rocks, the world’s biggest campfire.

Choreographed to music using the same technology that controls the Harbour Bridge fireworks every New Year’s Eve, FireDance will feature two different shows, alternating between each other on the eighteen incendiary nights of Vivid Sydney.

LIGHTING THE SAILS-
The multi-disciplined, multi-talented art & design collective, SUPERBIEN create sumptuous environments of animation, photography, light, space and graphic design. Their incredibly compelling work has been transmitted virally at speeds approaching the light it’s made from. These young, innovative, restless perfectionists are the ideal embodiment of the spirit of Vivid in 2011.

Unique and gripping, each of their creations is an immersive experience ,seamlessly integrating every possible technique into new forms of multimedia expression. Come down to the harbour and watch this compelling artwork unfold before your eyes. See Sydney Opera House come alive like you’ve never seen before, and never will again.

For more information look here: http://vividsydney.com/free

PLEASE POST HERE IF YOU ARE ATTENDING THIS EVENT WITH THE AP CROWD.

triptych
14-05-2011, 7:57pm
I would love to come, sounds great! I will probably catch the train though, dont fancy finding parking.

NikonNellie
14-05-2011, 8:12pm
If there are a few of us from out west going maybe we can car pool and all put in together to pay at a parking station?

triptych
14-05-2011, 8:18pm
If there are a few of us from out west going maybe we can car pool and all put in together to pay at a parking station?

Sounds good.

Scotty72
15-05-2011, 9:37am
I will be there, barring some unforeseen circumstance

I will be training it in from Strathfield.

BecM
15-05-2011, 11:57am
Count me in too!!

Darey
15-05-2011, 4:02pm
You can count me in on this one. I'll see you all there.

raccoon
15-05-2011, 4:30pm
We shall be there..

peterb666
15-05-2011, 5:13pm
I'm always in for Vivid!!!

I will most likey be training it unless I head into town early.

:) :th3: :D

judybee
15-05-2011, 6:09pm
you are such a good organiser Narelle. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year, I am going to a charity dinner that evening.

Tikira
15-05-2011, 7:28pm
Oh no, we will miss this one by 1 day. Saturday is when we fly out from Sydney to Ireland and the UK.
However, thanks for bringing it up, we have had a look at the website and may be able to make it down there on Friday night for a walk around.

Hope you enjoy your evening there.

Wayne & Di

NikonNellie
15-05-2011, 7:32pm
Oh no, we will miss this one by 1 day. Saturday is when we fly out from Sydney to Ireland and the UK.
However, thanks for bringing it up, we have had a look at the website and may be able to make it down there on Friday night for a walk around.

Hope you enjoy your evening there.

Wayne & Di

Not a hard choice in my opinion........mmmmm, Ireland/England or Vivid Sydney. If you don't get to see it on the Friday night you will probably be able to see it next year! :D

donnnnnny
17-05-2011, 2:53pm
Ill be there for this tooo, im in westmead and have a 5seater nissan patrol if thats nay help

NikonNellie
17-05-2011, 4:27pm
Thanks for the offer Donnnnnny - I may take you up on that offer yet. I hate driving into the city and I have a lot of trouble with glare at night. I think car pooling is the best way to go. :D

peterb666
18-05-2011, 6:06pm
Ignore this post - got my threads mixed up.

lay-z
18-05-2011, 6:13pm
I'll catch the train in - 2 meets in 2 weeks - making up for my absence over the past few years :D

maccaroneski
20-05-2011, 12:46pm
Always a good night - a provisional yes for me at this stage.

sunset
20-05-2011, 3:54pm
Hi guys. Will miss this meet as I'll be in sunny Melbourne partying! I'll still be going along to see the lights the following week. Have fun.

raccoon
24-05-2011, 9:47am
HI Guys, we will have to miss this, as it is my niece's 18 birthday party that night

AmPhot
24-05-2011, 6:12pm
Would love to come but having dinner with friends that night, will check it out the following weekend. Have fun guys ! :)

NikonNellie
26-05-2011, 4:39pm
So far we have:
Tony, Alan, Peter, Greg, Don, Bec, Emma, Scotty and myself attending.

ANYONE ELSE?

Scotty72
26-05-2011, 4:44pm
Cool but, I have noted that the weather forecast falls a little short of spectacular :(

A cold, windswept & rainy evening may see me scurrying for warmer environs.

Fingers crossed

peterb666
26-05-2011, 5:40pm
As I work in the city, last year I went out on around 4 or 5 nights with the weather ranging from clear to wet. You get some great shots when you mix lights and rain. I am fine for all weather conditions.

peterb666
26-05-2011, 5:42pm
So far we have:
Tony, Alan, Peter, Greg, Don, Bec, Emma, Scotty and myself attending.

ANYONE ELSE?

That's pretty tame compared to last year - I guess we won't be breaking any AP records.

Scotty72
26-05-2011, 9:08pm
As I work in the city, last year I went out on around 4 or 5 nights with the weather ranging from clear to wet. You get some great shots when you mix lights and rain. I am fine for all weather conditions.

Don't mind a bit of light rain - wind and rain together I mind :P

silkdiver
28-05-2011, 9:25am
I have the day off, so count me in

NikonNellie
28-05-2011, 9:46am
Great Jo - haven't seen you for awhile!

BecM
28-05-2011, 10:01am
Hey Narelle, I probably won't get there till 5:30 I will send Peter an sms to find out where you guys are :)

Scotty72
28-05-2011, 10:53am
Hey Narelle, I probably won't get there till 5:30 I will send Peter an sms to find out where you guys are :)

I'm in a similar boat... prob not 'til 5:30 - 6.

Scotty

NikonNellie
28-05-2011, 11:30am
Don, Emma and I are are all coming in together - see you all then. Seeing that we are a smaller group this time lets all try and stay together for the night. :D

peterb666
28-05-2011, 12:13pm
Don, Emma and I are are all coming in together - see you all then. Seeing that we are a smaller group this time lets all try and stay together for the night. :D

Good idea. With staggered arrival times, the first trick is to get together. :D

I will probably be in town early as I am going to Leichhardt first and taking the car. A few of you know my number so if you get to MCA and I am not there send me a txt msg and I will call you back ASAP.

Cheers

Peter

Darey
28-05-2011, 1:32pm
Peter,
I thought we were meeting at Customs House not MCA.
I don't really care where we meet because I will be parking at 111 Harrington Street and walking down to Customs House or MCA, whichever one is correct.
I will give you a call when I am near Circular Quay West. I will probably get in town a little early anyway.
See you all tonight

lay-z
28-05-2011, 1:55pm
I'm going to down a few schooners before hand and will document my (blurred) "vision" of the night. :D

lay-z
28-05-2011, 1:57pm
Also, does anyone think it would be worth the effort to lug around the 70-200?

Scotty72
28-05-2011, 2:00pm
I did last night; I didn't use it.

Not to say I couldn't have: abstracts focusing on part of a picture but, I didn't use it. :)

peterb666
28-05-2011, 2:00pm
Peter,
I thought we were meeting at Customs House not MCA.
I don't really care where we meet because I will be parking at 111 Harrington Street and walking down to Customs House or MCA, whichever one is correct.
I will give you a call when I am near Circular Quay West. I will probably get in town a little early anyway.
See you all tonight

Silly me. Customs House. I was going to park in Barangaroo but I might give Harrington St a go.

BecM
28-05-2011, 3:11pm
I can park in the city for less than my mortgage repayments????? Ok I too will be parking at 111 Harrington St. So I just may, possibly, be closer to 5 than I thought. See you soon!

mechawombat
28-05-2011, 9:02pm
Hope you all are getting some great shots, wish I was not working :( so I could meet and you guys

peterb666
28-05-2011, 11:31pm
Great to catch up with all. I won't be posting my photos for a while as I have to get some sleep before my portrait course at Neilsen Park tomorrow morning. A 6:30am start is a bit early for that sort of thing.

Good night to all.

YWURRI
03-06-2011, 6:14pm
Photos????

Darey
03-06-2011, 8:27pm
YWURRI,

If you do a search on Vivid Sydney you will find most people posted their photos in the " Places, Street" forum.

Try this link for mine as an example.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?85043-Vivid-Sydney-28-05-2011-Darey