PDA

View Full Version : L Plate for D90 with MB-D80

Wingnut
14-05-2011, 1:13pm
Hi all,

I am in the market for an L Plate for my D90 that has an MB-D80 battery pack.

I also want to upgrade my ball head.

I have been looking at the Really Right Stuff ballheads and L Plate combo, but unfortunately, the L Plate that Really Right Stuff offers is only for the standard camera without the MB-D80 battery pack.

So, I looked elsewhere and found an L Plate by Kirk that will suit my D90 with the MB-D80 attached to it.

My question is, does anyone know if the Kirk L Plate will fit a Really Right Stuff ball head or will I need to buy a ball head from Kirk to suit their L Plate. I would rather have the Really Right Stuff ballhead.

Any help or advice welcomed.:th3:

davidd
14-05-2011, 5:17pm
Hi

both manufacturer's products use the Arca-swiss type clamps and plates, so they are interchangable, UNLESS you are using the quick-release type clamp, which sometimes has a problem with different tolerances. If you use the screw-type clamp you will have no problems. I have a Markins ball head, an RRS rail and clamp, and a Kirk L-bracket and they all work together very well. IMO the Kirk and RRS gear seems pricey, but when you get it you will realise why, it is really well made. :th3:

Wingnut
19-05-2011, 3:16pm
hi dave, thanks for that. I think I will go with the Kirk L plate and the RRS ball head combo, seems to me that is the best/only combo I have.

junqbox
19-05-2011, 5:03pm
I use a RRS L-Plate with a Kirk clamp on a Manfrotto head. I recall reading on their respective sites at the time that one was not as universal as the other. Well worth confirming before you purchase.