PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice On Filters

Dylan & Marianne
11-05-2011, 9:10pm
I recently wrote a blog post about filters on our blog site :

The World Through Filtered Eyes (http://everlookphotography.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/the-world-through-filtered-eyes/)

I'm not sure if it belongs here in this forum?
If mods think it belongs elsewhere, happy to move it and also convert it into the right format for this forum without linking.

Let me know what you think (it is entirely based on opinion with very little technical detail I think)

Michaela
11-05-2011, 10:11pm
That was VERY helpful - thank you! It's given me a bit of a checklist to use when choosing how to set up a shot, where before it's been pretty hit and miss. :th3:

Dylan & Marianne
12-05-2011, 3:53pm
Thanks Michaela - (it's still a little hit and miss for me too hehe)

Indigo
12-05-2011, 5:46pm
The article was great Dylan, It gives me some idea of what type of filter to buy and use for different scenes.
providing the exif data with each of the examples was terrific, Thanks :)

agb
12-05-2011, 6:24pm
Thank you for that article. Very interesting and you both obviously give a lot of thought to your photography, and the results show in the excellent photos you produce.

red sand
17-05-2011, 9:32am
Thanks so much for explaining about these filters. I now will try using that dark piece of 'glass' that I have and didn't know what to do with!

Dylan & Marianne
17-05-2011, 10:33am
lol no worries red sand - thanks agb and indigo - glad it was of use :)

lay-z
17-05-2011, 10:50am
Thanks for this Dylan - I'm giong to laminate the questions you presented and attach them to my landscape kit bag for when I'm out in the field :D

Dylan & Marianne
18-05-2011, 4:38pm
thanks alan - good to know it has come to some use :D

joflinsdell
18-05-2011, 5:42pm
This information was great. very helpful advice that as a beginner helps unravel the mystery of good photos

geoffsta
19-05-2011, 12:10pm
That has just answered some of my questions, re; filters, and how the hell you produce brilliant images 99% of the time. :th3:

Dylan & Marianne
19-05-2011, 12:36pm
thanks jofflin and geoff :) glad it was of help

rnicetin
19-05-2011, 9:16pm
Excellent post, with some gorgeous photos! Thank you :-)
One question: I'm looking to get a CPL filter for my 10-20mm Sigma lens, but have heard that some filter brands can be seen at the edge of the photo. I noticed that one of your photos was shot with this lens, and there didn't seem to be any problems. Can I ask what brand you use?

Dylan & Marianne
20-05-2011, 6:22am
Excellent post, with some gorgeous photos! Thank you :-)
One question: I'm looking to get a CPL filter for my 10-20mm Sigma lens, but have heard that some filter brands can be seen at the edge of the photo. I noticed that one of your photos was shot with this lens, and there didn't seem to be any problems. Can I ask what brand you use?

whatever brand you get, make sure it's an ultraslim one - I've got a kenko and have used hoya pro-1D filters for the 10-20 in the past.

grw46
20-05-2011, 9:15am
Dylan Great article and easily understood however you say you hand hold your Lee and Hitech filters ,how do you do this and avoid ether light getting in or moving the camera? Cheers

Geoff79
20-05-2011, 10:47am
That was excellent! Very nicely written and explained in a way that even a novice like me can understand. :) I even made some notes to print out and keep in my camera bag. :D

Yeah, thanks a million for that. Much appreciated. Stunning photos as well...

scpleta
20-05-2011, 12:19pm
Your article is great! I even bookmarked it as a ready reference.

I honestly think you should make a book. All your photos are cool and your articles are simple and straightforward! And mind you, that is an understatement. :D

Dylan & Marianne
20-05-2011, 12:26pm
Dylan Great article and easily understood however you say you hand hold your Lee and Hitech filters ,how do you do this and avoid ether light getting in or moving the camera? Cheers

ironically, you get less light in by holding the filters up against the lens (with a filter holder, if light is behind you, you often get light reflected off the glass interfering with your image because there is a gap between lens and filter) - movement isn't an issue when it's related to the filters because it creates a bit of feathering of the grad line anyway (except when using a reverse GND - then I summon all my inner chi, hold my breath and try to be rock steady - sounds corny but no kidding :P). With regard to camera motion blur ,I also have alot of faith in my gitzo tripod and head set up that it is firm enough to be steady while hand holding with some contact on the camera. Those are the reasons why I persist with hand holding , though I'm pretty sure I end up having to replace filters more often from scratches :( The truth is, I really should get a lee filter holder system and modify it to avoid the vignetting but I'm just not that handy and I'm also great at procrastinating !

thanks also geoff and scpleta - it's good practice to write these tutorials and get feedback from them both for my real work and photography :)

WhiteFire
23-05-2011, 5:14pm
this is now bookmarked!! Thank you :th3:

CarlR
23-05-2011, 5:30pm
Thanks for posting the link. Very helpful. Are you able to provide any suggestions for a small selection of ND / GND to get started?

Dylan & Marianne
23-05-2011, 7:16pm
THank you Whitefire and CarlR

It's difficult to make generic suggestions but on the whole, I think go with easier to use grads first ie
try what results you get with a 2 stop ND rather than a 9 or 10 stop
try what results you get with a soft edged GND rather than hard or reverse edge - maybe start with 2 or 3 stops as well?
don't go all out with the most expensive stuff unless you think that after using them, GNDs are the way to go for you rather than exposure blending
and of course, a circular screw on polariser ;)

Milbs1
23-05-2011, 11:11pm
Hi Dylan...quick Q. II have the Lee Foundation kit holder with hitech grads. If I want to use a CPL (dont own one yet, but I WANT and NEED one lol) deos this mean I have to handhold the grads?

Dylan & Marianne
24-05-2011, 6:07am
Shirl - I don't have the the Lee holder so I can't give you a reliable answer on that , however, with a filter holder screwed on, I suspect you will be able to do it with the CPL but when you want to change from portrait to landscape, that might give you some difficulty depending on how it attaches? - how's the holder? does it vignette at 10mm ?

Milbs1
24-05-2011, 9:00am
I like the holder...but dont have anything to compare it to! I haven't found noticeable vignetting, but did invest in the ultra thin adapter rings for wide angle lenses so that may have made a difference. I have an unused UV filter somewhere..I'll try and see if that fits on with the adapter ring screwed on too. Its pretty easy to take off the filter holder (leaving the adapter ring in place) so if they do both fit, adjusting the CPL and then slotting the holder back on ought to be relatively simple.

I was shooting at an orchard on the weekend, and there was lots of dew around. I reckon a CPL would have been awesome on the leaves....

Dylan & Marianne
24-05-2011, 12:58pm
thanks shirl - I think I might finally take a look into getting those holders - there's only so much filter replacing one can afford before banging head on brick wall !

davearnold
24-05-2011, 2:16pm
I have just recently been introduced to the world of filters, and your article just at least doubled my knowledge .

Thanks you for a well laid out and informative post.

Cheers

dmrphotography
04-10-2011, 9:54pm
I have just broughjt a heap of hitech filters to try out. i tried to get a circular polarizing filter to go into my holder but cant seem to find one. is it ok for me to buy a screw on one then put the holder on with filters that are needed. I would have to adjust the polarizing first then put the holder and filters on wouldnt i. what would the best polarizing filter to get.

ricktas
04-10-2011, 10:06pm
I have just broughjt a heap of hitech filters to try out. i tried to get a circular polarizing filter to go into my holder but cant seem to find one. is it ok for me to buy a screw on one then put the holder on with filters that are needed. I would have to adjust the polarizing first then put the holder and filters on wouldnt i. what would the best polarizing filter to get.

Yes you can screw on a polariser, then attach your filter holder..BUT.. you could find that you can see the sides of the filter holder in the viewfinder, especially when using wider angle lenses. So you may have to crop, or zoom to ensure that the filter holder isn't visible in your final photos.

GlenBoxall
05-10-2011, 2:18am
Nice article, wish I read this before I bought my polarising filter for the 70 - 200mm lens I have ... I may have just wasted my $$$

luckyforteja
29-04-2012, 3:44pm
Very nice article, I bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks a lot

Eliza
03-05-2012, 1:34pm
Thankyou, I found this quite inspiring. I don't own filters yet, I've always wanted to but am horrible with making the final decision to purchase anything. This has prompted me to do something about it.