PDA

View Full Version : What are the different types of people photography?

achee
11-05-2011, 11:12am
I need a little lesson on the types of photography involving people. On this forum under 'People' we have 'Candids,' 'Family,' 'Formal and Posed,' etc... I understand what that means. What about 'editorial,' 'fashion,' 'high fashion,' 'glamour,' 'commercial' ... and are there any others?

I can take a guess at what they mean... but what makes a photo look like a good 'fashion' photo rather than a 'glamour' photo?

Thanks guys!

kiwi
11-05-2011, 11:31am
Good question, my view is that fashion is about the clothes looking good, and glamour is about making the model look good

dbax
11-05-2011, 11:36am
Yep I agree with Kiwi on that description and don't forget Street and photojounalism, I suppose PJ might fall into the editorial.

colinbm
11-05-2011, 12:01pm
Erotic Fine Art - sexual, sensual, teasing etc.
Nude Fine Art - body beautiful.
These can envolve more then one person of legal age.
Col

mpb
11-05-2011, 12:02pm
We could have a section called "Busted" for the private detectives or the people getting snapped by friends at the cricket etc when they should be at work.:o

gabber
11-05-2011, 1:11pm
One of my favourite types of portraiture is Environmental portraits. A successful one finds that balance between the person(s) and scene they are shot in.

p.s. I haven't got that kind of talent but can appreciate those who do :)

achee
11-05-2011, 2:34pm
Good question, my view is that fashion is about the clothes looking good, and glamour is about making the model look good

I suppose when I'm wandering around the shopping centres admiring the photography in all the posters in the clothes shops... that's gotta be right in the centre of what fashion photography is all about, right? But then... those photos do make the models look good! :confused013

achee
11-05-2011, 2:36pm
BTW, as with all subjective arts I'm sure there are no hard and fast boundaries between the different genres of people photography, but I'd still like to know what those genres are!

James T
11-05-2011, 4:56pm
... What about 'editorial,' doesn't have to necessarily be people. Shot for an article - to illustrate a story, etc.

'fashion, usually to sell something though it often crosses over a lot with editorial.

'high fashion, as above, but with a bigger budget / ego.

'glamour,selling the person rather than the product I think I agree with Kiwi. Used as an excuse by some people to get a girl out of her clothes.. think GWC on Model Mayhem. :p

'commercial any kind of photography for money really, though it usually excludes 'social photography' such as weddings, family portraits, etc.

... and are there any others? you can make up as many words as you like, doesn't really matter.:)