PDA

View Full Version : Greece Travel Tips ?

britinozz
10-05-2011, 2:12pm
If any one has any tips for taking photos of the white buildings in Greece eg exposure etc i would be grateful ,i am considering selling my twinflash for macro work and getting a 17-40 l lens as well as taking my 150-500 lens i also have 18-55 sigma but if i get the 17-40 i won't need this lens i think also im looking for a travel tripod i could fit in my suit case so if any has been to Greece Santorini or any other tips please let me know.
I did also read about sun haze over there and is very hard to get clear shots mmm so many questions.

ameerat42
10-05-2011, 3:56pm
At what time of the year? But, shoot in raw for a well-recorded dynamic range, (I think - somebody can correct) overexposing slightly. (Didn't get to Santorini.)
Sun haze in Greece? Not when I was there during an October. Bit of haze in Athens, but I could still see to Piraeus from Athens. Some scenes can be contrasty, you should be able to simulate with some contrasty Brisbane scenery.
Am.

britinozz
10-05-2011, 7:04pm
I will be there in Sept ,I always shoot in raw i should have plenty of times to get it right as we are ocean view.

Patagonia
11-05-2011, 2:15pm
I backpacked almost for one month through Greece (10 years ago...), amazing country!! You cannot miss Meteora, Crete, Santorini, the off the beaten track of south Peloponese and of course Athens among others, How long will you be there? I remember in small towns and islands you had very bright sun and all houses were painted with white lime with very shiny blue doors and windows, donĀ“t know settings for those photos but google for Santorini and you will get the idea...

Haze in Athens is just pollution I believe...

Analog6
11-05-2011, 2:28pm
One I've always remembered is that medications containing codeine are banned in Greece - you must have a letter from your doctor, and (I think) a prescription. I read about a lady imprisoned and convicted as a drug dealer for a large packet of Panadeine for her bad back. Her parents had to go over and pay a lot of money to get her out and although her conviction was eventually quashed, it took something like 3 years - during which time she had no passport. And it happened at the START of her wonderful trip of a lifetime.

Photographically, a lot of high contrast situations so lots of bracketing as preparatory to the possibility of doing HDR combos when you get home.

And have a wonderful time.

britinozz
11-05-2011, 9:43pm
Great tip yes HDR would be a good solution .
Hope I don't get a head ache.

MrPhu
11-05-2011, 11:17pm
I was over there last year backpacking through.

Definitely want to bracket your shots, tripod would help... but I was there to enjoy the place, not lug photography gear.
I did buy a little gorilla pod from dealextreme.com and could carry that everywhere with me, didn't use it much though...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/41163_151734971519941_111602762199829_400625_1242359_n.jpg

Not the greatest, but gives you an idea of the messed up exposures you'll deal with. CPL or ND filters maybe?

Patagonia
12-05-2011, 12:24am
great!...there are the white houses with blue doors...I just forgot the gorgeous Bugambillias that fill the place!!!!!!

britinozz
17-05-2011, 9:42am
Thanks great pic.
That's what I thought about the exposure probs.