PDA

View Full Version : Mini HDMI to Component cable

Bennymiata
09-05-2011, 6:03pm
I am looking for a cable to go from my Canon D60 (mini HDMI) to plug into my plasma TV which only has compnent inputs (3 coloured RCA plugs + 2 more for sound).
Digital Camera Warehouse has one for $90 odd, but this sounds a ridiculous price to me.

Does any of you learned people know where I can get such a lead for a reasonable price?

JM Tran
09-05-2011, 6:12pm
have u tried MSY yet mate? I got my HDMI cables, display port stuff and other cabling and adapters through MSY, hell of a lot cheaper than retail or Apple.

Bennymiata
12-05-2011, 7:16pm
If I just got a normal RCA plug lead and put it into my TV, the picture would only come out as 4:3 instead of the HD 16:9 format and I would also lose a lot of the quality of the images.
The normal RCA inputs are just analogue inputs.

From what I've been reading, there really is no easy solution as according to some, component inputs are analogue and the output from the HDMI plug is digital, so they don't mix, so just joining the wires up correctly from one plug to the other won't work.
These people say I need to buy a box with some electronics in it to convert the signals. Good ones cost from $600 although there are cheap ones for around $50 or so.
Personally, I know the component inputs on my TV are digital, as I get a full HD reception and quality from my set-top box via component inputs as well as the correct 16:9 aspect ratio.

Anyway, I just checked my TV, and it seems I have a DV-I input, and a cable from HDMI to DV-I is easy and cheap to find.

Thanks for your help guys.

Irru
12-05-2011, 7:52pm
http://www.dinodirect.com/HDMI-to-Component-Video-Audio-AV-Cable/AFFID-364.html?gclid=CP2T-YyQ4qgCFQPTbgodqTIyDQ

Component is still digital. There are different types of digital though - SDI and HD-SDI.
The single yellow rca lead you see is composite.
The three rca leads you see, red, green and blue - that is generally SDI. Which in simple terms is generation 1 of digital.

The three rca leads going into YCbCr - that is HD-SDI. Your HDMI/DVI equivalent, so to speak. This is what the link to the above break out cable is for.

Edit: search ebay for "hdmi to component"
Loads of results, pretty cheap too.

Bennymiata
12-05-2011, 8:33pm
Perfect.
Thanks Irru.
I've bought stuff off Dino before, and while they are slow to deliver (around 2 weeks), they are very cheap and don't charge postage.

ameerat42
12-05-2011, 9:11pm
How can you go from digital to even component analog? You'd need a converter along the way. Anyway, the likes of D Smith and J Car would be the go.
Oh, and Irru. I just saw your post. No it is not.
Am.

Irru
12-05-2011, 11:37pm
Sorry, I was trying to keep my post as short as possible, and posted some wrongness because of it. I was attempting to say that component can still carry a HD signal, rather than a digital signal as I said.
Though there is such a thing as digital component, which I referred to, that isn't what is happening in that cable.

I can only assume that the cable (which is pretty chunky) has a digital to analogue converter built into it. That is essentially all a DVI-->VGA adaptor is doing, and they can be as small as the connectors allow - though in this case we don't want to actually end up with vga of course, but preserve as much image quality as possible.

Not hard to conceive - hdmi-->dvi are as small as the connectors allow, and dvi-->vga much the same.

Sure, you lose a lot of information in the conversion, but the OP primarily seemed