PDA

View Full Version : Continous lights

matilda
08-05-2011, 7:16pm
I currently have a strobist set up, which i LOVE. however in saying that it's not very newborn baby friendly, so i'm thinking of getting a continuous lighting set up, but I have no idea where to start looking, and what is good, and what is cr@.p

So suggest away.

Keep in mind I have a budget of $300, not much but has to be something right.

this is what i currently have http://protog.com.au/yn560-flash-wireless-trigger-stand-holder-umbrella-p-205.html

arthurking83
08-05-2011, 8:03pm
I reckon you need either some LEDs or some compact fluoro lights. Both types keep the subject from frying to death as they may under high powered halogens or similar types.

Are you adept at DIY in any way.

I've recently found a nice cheap brand of CFL with massive light output of either 30, 45 or 60W, which is massive compared to your average household CFL globe of 10-20W, but the main point is that they have a very good CRI rating, and the light balances out nicely for good whitebalance on the camera.
I'm currently using the 30w globe in my study and it's bright as hell in here! but the colour balance is just about spot on.

The ugliest thing about CLF's is that they produce ghastly colour casts.
This particular brand of CFL looks a lot nicer with respect to wb settings.

One day, if I get a bit of time, I'm going to attempt to make either a soft box or a reflector set up with at least one of these globes to see how they fare ...

but as Willy Wonka says in the (original)chocolate factory movie .. So much time, so little to do! .. Wait! Scratch that. Switch it around. :D

$300 is not a lot to play with, and I can understand the need to maintain frugality, but if you're up for a bit of DYI, I'm sure there is something possible for that kind of money.

matilda
09-05-2011, 9:01am
I'm all for diy

i just discovered alienbees in australia, i have a lot of american friends who swear by them.

matilda
09-05-2011, 4:35pm
came across this http://www.##############.com.au/500watt_Continuous_Light_with_a_Light_Tent/P2203/bdus/ProductsInfo.aspx

but have no idea if it's a yay or nay, don't care about the light tent though.

kiwi
09-05-2011, 4:45pm
Id be worried about the heat created by continuous ligghting, though, I'm thinking of checking out led lights, they are becoming a lot more accessible

arthurking83
09-05-2011, 9:02pm
Id be worried about the heat created by continuous ligghting.....

LED and CFL(compact fluorescent lighting) don't really produce radiant heat.
The globes themselves heat up to a slight degree of course, but the light output doesn't heat up the subject, as with a halogen/incandescent globe.

matilda
10-05-2011, 3:36pm
argh the link didn't work, it was from ##############.com.au oh well.

i also had a look at led, but some of the price tags, are way out of my league. will have to keep searching.

I @ M
10-05-2011, 3:53pm
Matilda, it isn't that the link doesn't work.

It is because that business's name is automatically suppressed by the site software because of repeated attempts by the owner of said business to spam this site.

JM Tran
10-05-2011, 9:34pm
Ive been using LED panel lights for professional work for the last 8 months for wedding and commercial/fashion photography. Most of the time I prefer the results from them over strobes.

A LED panel also provides exceptional subject lighting combining with a wireless flash to trigger the background, you can achieve a near perfect daylight look when it is almost pitch black.

matilda
11-05-2011, 12:31pm
ok this has been very helpful. I will look into it further. thanks.

Lion31Cybershot
01-06-2011, 9:39pm
Ive been using LED panel lights for professional work for the last 8 months for wedding and commercial/fashion photography. Most of the time I prefer the results from them over strobes.

A LED panel also provides exceptional subject lighting combining with a wireless flash to trigger the background, you can achieve a near perfect daylight look when it is almost pitch black.

Would you mind showing a few examples or links ?
My own limites experience with led (without mixing) is just dreadfull op till now.
Much to sharp lighting and poor colors becouse off the low spectrum.