PDA

View Full Version : Seagate has achieved 1tb per platter on hard drives

ricktas
06-05-2011, 7:37am
From Press Release:

Seagate (NASDAQ: STX), the leader in hard drives and storage solutions, today unveiled the world’s first 3.5-inch hard drive featuring 1TB of storage capacity per disk platter, breaking the 1TB areal density barrier to help meet explosive worldwide demand for digital content storage in both the home and the office.

Seagate’s GoFlex® Desk products are the first to feature the new hard drive, delivering storage capacities of up to 3TB and an areal density of 625 Gigabits per square inch, the industry’s highest. Seagate is on track to ship its flagship 3.5-inch Barracuda desktop hard drive with 3TBs of storage on 3 disk platters – enough capacity to store up to 120 high-definition movies, 1,500 video games, thousands of photos or virtually countless hours of digital music.

The 3TB drive will be available mid 2011

mercho
06-05-2011, 8:36am
Its great to see that the jump has been made, its been a long time coming!

Will be interesting to see how long HDD's will be around for, hopefully over the next 5 years SSD's become a lot more inexpensive and wipe the need for HDD's!

lay-z
06-05-2011, 9:26am
Whoaa, and only 12 months ago I thought I had the bees knees with a 1 TB HDD!

I guess this would be a worthwhile investment to 'backup' my external HDDs to allow more backup space! :D