PDA

View Full Version : shutter remotes

Danielle10
03-05-2011, 10:21am
Hi everyone,
Im thinking I would like to buy a shutter remote for my 60D.
What do you think about the wireless ones? Is it worth it or is there a high chance of it stuffing up?
or would you prefer the ones with the cord and why?

Cheers :)

davearnold
03-05-2011, 10:35am
I have used the cheap ($10ish including postage) ebay ones on both 450D and 7D, with out a problem, just bought one of the timer ones ( still waiting on delivery) so I can can do even longer exposures.

edit *Just adding these are the infra red remote ones, and you need to be able to point them at the front of the camera for them to work.

PH005
03-05-2011, 10:37am
I just bought an el cheapo, corded, off ebay Danielle. Works fantastic. Unless you really want to spend big, get one. They do the same as the genuine for a fraction of the price.

Milbs1
03-05-2011, 11:31am
I have both a corded and wireless.
The wireless is the el cheapo one. To br honest sometimes its a bit hit and miss....but so long as I can see the camera I can tell when it has worked or not! Handy for doing self portraits. The corded one is best for bulb exposures and landscapes/macro where you need to be behind the camera :)

peterb666
03-05-2011, 11:43am
Wireless remotes don't work well when you have more than one person with the same brand of camera both trying use a wireless remote but they have virtues at other times.

The corded ones are cheap as chips (the clone ones off eBay) and generally work fine.

dredi1975
03-05-2011, 1:13pm
I've got corded one with extension cord, it gives me in total around 2m plus long cord and works well.
Thought about buying remote one, but decided to keep money in the pocket and use cheap=good one I got already.
Cheers
Maciek

fillum
03-05-2011, 1:38pm
Danielle if you are thinking wireless these (http://protog.com.au/rf603-c1-flash-trigger-canon-eos-60d-550d-500d-450d-400d-p-375.html) might be of interest. They are remote flash triggers but do double-duty as a remote shutter release. I can't comment on quality as I haven't used them. (The company PROtog (http://protog.com.au) is a site advertiser here on AP).

Cheers.

Edit: If you intend using the remote for long exposures ('bulb' mode) check the remote is capable of leaving the shutter open.

carrg1954
03-05-2011, 8:26pm
I'd recommend a yongnu yn-128 (may be a new version ?) wireless trigger, had it 2years and works well. Four switches to change channels. works on 30d, 1dmk3.cr2 battery hasn't been replaced yet, got it off ebay ex hong kong.

Tommo1965
03-05-2011, 8:35pm
id buy a corded remote...as your bound to get the wireless one stuff up when the important shot comes along.....

Scotty72
03-05-2011, 9:23pm
Hi, long time: no see.

I have both, i rarely use the wireless. As Peter said, a bit hit and miss. My Youngnuo corded is great 100% reliable.

davomate
06-05-2011, 4:12pm
Infra-red remotes have limited range and you have to be directly in-line with the sensor on the camera. I bought a Photix (radio) remote so I could be included in family photos (without setting the timer and sprinting). Also lets you take multiple shots so you can choose one where most of the people are smiling. The build quality seems quite good and the batteries last a long time. Can also use it as a corded trigger to reduce camera shake on long exposures, and you can get multiple cords for multiple cameras (I have a 450D and a 7D, and their remote triggers have different sockets).

Bennymiata
09-05-2011, 12:28pm
When you do buy a remote, make sure the remote will focus the camera, as many of them only operate the shutter and don't half-press the shutter for the auto focus to work.

I found this out the hard way!

Xenedis
09-05-2011, 4:27pm
Wireless remotes don't work well when you have more than one person with the same brand of camera both trying use a wireless remote but they have virtues at other times.

They don't work too well when you drop the receiver into the ocean, do they, Pete? :-P

As far as frequency clashes, it's a problem we PocketWizard users can sometimes encounter in group shoots. PWs have four channels, so it's easy enough to avoid sharing the same frequency.

For a wireless shutter release, unless you're going to shoot in pairs or groups, and your shooting companions are also using wireless shutter releases, a spectrum clash isn't likely to be a problem with even the slightest chance of interfering with your session.

arnica
09-05-2011, 4:45pm
They don't work too well when you drop the receiver into the ocean, do they, Pete? :-P

OMG .. we still can't "drop" this issue ...

I'm currently using a el-cheapo $15 remote, it does the trick.

peterb666
09-05-2011, 6:19pm

As you know, that's why I use corded ones now. Easier to retrieve as they have a built in recovery string. :th3:

Mind you, it is less painful that donating a Canon 5D to Neptune.

:D

Xenedis
09-05-2011, 7:46pm
OMG .. we still can't "drop" this issue ...

Peter has shown his willingness and ability to drop it...

Mind you, it is less painful that donating a Canon 5D to Neptune.

I'm well qualified to affirm that.

Danielle10
18-05-2011, 12:52pm
Just saw this, god u 2 are funny

Wayno
25-05-2011, 8:11am
I've just gone out and bought the cable release as my wireless remote won't take photos in continuous mode for a star trails pic.

dbax
25-05-2011, 9:18am
This is something I pondered about a little while ago, I decided on a wired remote and I went for the one that allows for time delay/multiple timed exposures, useful for time lapse imaging so you don't need to keep timing and pressing the button( useful for star trails etc). works a treat! the only issue I have with it is that it has no on/off switch:confused013 so you need to remove the batteries when not in use. It does however work as a simple shutter release with out the batteries. so not a major issue.
This is the one I purchased thru site advertiser Phottix simply to support them for supporting AP http://www.phottixstore.com/store/wired-remotes/phottixr-tr-90.html You could probably get similar cheaper on E Bay

ving
25-05-2011, 9:34am
photography is a solitary pasttime for me and so cross zapping with other cameras is not a problem when using my wireless. the only time i have ever had a problem is when the batteries went flat. mine is a cheap ebay one.

Bennymiata
25-05-2011, 11:44am
I just received an el-cheapo wired one from Dino Direct this morning.
It has an LCD display and does time delay, long exposure, interval timer etc., and only costs about $25.00 including postage.
Mind you, it took 2 weeks to get to me, but when it's so cheap, what's 2 weeks.

I tried it out this morning on my 60D, and it looks like a quality product and works well, even pre-focusing the camera as it has a half press on the main button.

If you're thinking of getting a remote, give this one a try. For $25.00 you can't go wrong.
We'll see how long it lasts, but for $25.00, I'm a happy camper.

Milbs1
25-05-2011, 10:43pm
I also just received an el-cheapo wired one like Bennymiata (from link delight oz), $25.
Gave it a quick test on my 7D, and all seems to be working fine :th3:

Looking forward to trying some timelapse photography and maybe star trails :)

Speedway
26-05-2011, 2:19am
I have the wirelss one for mu 7D from Link delight OZ too and am very happy with it. I have used it with the camera set up in a different room so it works through walls.
Keith.