PDA

View Full Version : Reuters Photographers' kit for the Royal Wedding

ElectricImages
02-05-2011, 1:20pm
There's a great image of the Reuters team's (2 photographers) kit for covering the Royal Wedding, here:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/04/this-is-what-it-takes-to-shoot-royal-love/

Lots of hot gear - and it's always interested to see what the pros choose to use [CANON! :troll:]. :)

bconolly
02-05-2011, 1:21pm
Haha - yeah saw this and noticed the Canon gear. I must say that if I could get this swag of lenses I'd be happy to swap over :)

BC

colinbm
02-05-2011, 2:44pm
And for the togs paranoid about a little dust on their darling sensors :eek:
Not a mount cover in sight :confused013
Col

markjaffa
02-05-2011, 10:21pm
Col

Good spot and good point! I didnt take notice of this the first time I looked.

JM Tran
02-05-2011, 10:34pm
honestly this is just another photojournalist's kit for any important world event - as a wedding photographer I wouldnt be using most of this, and as a journalist also - I'd carry all of this for the sake of trying to capture the right moments etc. No room for creativity, just solely for the purpose of getting the right images for the news:)

macmich
02-05-2011, 10:43pm
just as a rough estimate how much would be laying down there in dollar value
cheers macca

Analog6
03-05-2011, 4:04am
I'll take it - with a truck to cart it round in, of course, and slave to carry it on landscape treks:p

Are these two guys built like brick you know what houses?

Longshots
03-05-2011, 6:22am
Col

Thats because these guys get top of the range support from Canon. Who would have many service technicians to clean and service available on top events (a free service I should add).

And dust on the sensor isnt something these guys are going to be too concerned about - a) they wont be the poor schmucks cleaning the image and b) they're very unlikely to be using the lenses at an aperture where the dust become an intrusion. :th3:

reaction
04-05-2011, 6:09pm
Col

yeh well, they don't own that gear, and it's all insured, and they have backups of backups.
I don't.

zollo
04-05-2011, 6:23pm
not to mention that the winning photo from the royal couples honeymoon is worth a cool $1 million dollars. or so it is rumoured;)
that would buy plenty of new gear.

arthurking83
05-05-2011, 4:21pm
Col

It's very unlikely judging from this photo that the sensors will collect any more dust than normal.
In this case, the body caps won't provide the sensor with any added protection than they already have.
The shutter is what provides the sensor with 'dust protection', the body cap only serves to stop added build up of dust and other foreign particles into the mirror box.
As long as the mirror box is blown out on a regular basis, there is absolutely no harm to the sensor in storing your camera in this manner. Mirror and viewfinder will build up with gunk over time tho.

Think about it for a second. If the sensor is behind the shutter, and the shutter is tight enough not to allow light through, the much larger particles of dust have no chance of passing through the shutter.
A simple matter of blowing out the mirror box with a good clean air supply is all that's needed here.

But as Longshots said .. I doubt they'd be the types to worry about sensor dust in the first place.

Longshots
05-05-2011, 6:55pm
Ta for the acknowledgement there Arthur - but without blowing this subject out of proportion - because the lenses that the open bodies are all sitting there without body caps on, have been removed for the purpose of the shot - and thats it. No one in their right mind - especially a pro, would store their cameras like that. Its just for the demonstration purposes of the shot. It would be normal for each body to also have a lens attached.

I cant agree with your theory Arthur because you simply dont want dust in the area that houses the mirror, because the mirror will at some point have to open for a fraction of a second, and longer, and you will also have (especially if you use a zoom) the motion of the zoom to suck and blow (albeit gently) into the entire area of between the glass/plastic and the mirror box, and eventually, with the action of the mirror opening it will, without doubt end up on your sensor.

So anyone who regularly shoots in the F22 area (as I do), then one gets very precious about it because is simply makes common sense to ensure that less dust means less maintenance, and less post production "cleaning" :)

Bally
15-05-2011, 6:08pm
And a nikon lonely old mono pod me thinks.