PDA

View Full Version : FD 50mm f1.4 fit EOS??

Ms Monny
02-05-2011, 10:45am
Can a FD 50mm f1.4 lens fit my 60D? I have searched the net and noticed I may need an adaptor? This is a manual focus lens but all the sites I have read seem to think it is a very sharp, good lens. Is this true?

Found one on ebay - it is closing soon but at least I will know this info for the future!!

ameerat42
02-05-2011, 11:50am
Hmm! Canon FD to EF-S. Might be a big ask, and I think it has been talked about here before, but look at the last paragraph of the Wiki page below...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_FD_lens_mount
If nothing else, do a google search oon "CanonFD to EF-S"
There are lots of references but they all sound qualified.

Nice if it could, though. Am.

ElectricImages
02-05-2011, 1:06pm
Can a FD 50mm f1.4 lens fit my 60D? I have searched the net and noticed I may need an adaptor? This is a manual focus lens but all the sites I have read seem to think it is a very sharp, good lens. Is this true?

Found one on ebay - it is closing soon but at least I will know this info for the future!!

FD lenses CAN be adapted to fit on EF/EF-S bodies. However, because they have a SHORTER focusing distance than EF/EF-S lenses, the adaptor MUST contain some optics (otherwise, the lens would have to mount inside the body rather than onto it to focus properly on the sensor). The use of optics in the adaptor will affect the image quality, of course, making adaptation of FD lenses to EF/EF-S bodies an unattractive option in most cases.

The exception to this is if you want to shoot macro images. In this case, you can get an FD to EF/EF-S adaptor with no optics in it, but because the lens focuses in front of the sensor, the effective result is the same as using macro "extension" tubes. The lens will not focus to infinity, but can be used to shoot macro images.

Ms Monny
02-05-2011, 1:22pm
Ok - thanks! I think I might just save up a bit more for the one that doesn't need an adaptor!! :)

JM Tran
02-05-2011, 1:35pm
I have used the lens before on 5D and 1D bodies with an EF adapter, one with no focus confirmation from ebay and a more exp one with some electronic coupling to confirm focusing.

To be honest, a 50mm f1.4 EF lens doesnt cost that much more and you get AF and dont lose metering or focusing to infinity etc, plus its very hard to focus accurately if you are shooting wide open all the time

ElectricImages
02-05-2011, 1:38pm
No worries. I think that's a good idea. You CAN adapt some other lenses to Canon EF/EF-S bodies with a non-optical adaptor, including Nikon and Leica-R lenses, but of course in all cases where an adaptor is used, you lose all of your electronics including focus and focus confirm. There's a good article on which lenses can be adapted, here:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

I'm personally looking out for some cheap, fast Nikon primes with manual aperture rings, for my videography. Those adapt with no problems, and I've already bought the appropriate adaptor in anticipation... ;)

peterb666
02-05-2011, 1:49pm
Good idea.

Converters that will allow infinity focus on FD lenses involve glass elements. Here is a link to a second-hand one (http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/prod254.htm). Price is steep and it looks as though you would need to lock the mirror up.