PDA

View Full Version : Need help..... lost pics

Sutto
01-05-2011, 10:19pm
I took a couple of hundred shots around the Blue Mountains over the weekend and transfered them from the SD card to the computer as I always do. Before I start PP I have a quick browse through them removing anything that is useless and rotate photo's from landscape to portrait etc.

The problem I have had is that while I'm rotating the pics they seem to be deleting themselves from my storage device. They aren't in the recycling bin so I can't un-delete them, they seem to just have vanished and I'm a bit peeved to say the least. I have also formatted the the SD card so I doubt there is a chance of getting them off there.

Anyone else had this problem (it was in Windows 7- Windows Live Photo Gallery), or know of what the problem is.

Many thanks
Steve

Mat
01-05-2011, 10:37pm
Sandisk CardRecovery worked for me
for more see this thread
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?78779-Deleted-Photos-and-Need-them-back&highlight=recover

Sutto
02-05-2011, 10:12pm
Cheers Mat, I've got Rescue Pro running now.

Does anyone know why all my pictures that I changed from landscape to portraite have dis-appeared? I just had a look through a folder from last week and noticed they have gone as well.:confused013

ricktas
02-05-2011, 10:22pm
I reckon it is related to the software you are using. Do you have a dedicated photography editing software package, rather than using the Windows default thing. If cost is an issue, consider The Gimp : review here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?51072-The-Gimp-A-small-review

Sutto
02-05-2011, 10:26pm
Cheers Rick, I just did a quick google of this Windows Live Photo Gallery..... apparently its a peice of crap and a few other people are having problems too.

I had just gone from Vista to Windows 7 and hadn't re-installed PE9 yet, I'll be doing it now so I can hope to fix this problem.

Cheers again.

Patagonia
03-05-2011, 12:19pm
Think its a little too late but an advice for next time: If you want to recover something deleted from memory card, HDD, etc first thing is to not save anything to that media, this is because deleting the only thing that does is remove the index reference in the media directory and not the file, if you save something new it might "run over" your deleted data. Then run a recovery software (try not to install one after the problem on the same media) that will scan the media and find all files contained including the ones "invisible"...it can even recover partly overwritten files but is more difficult. For example professional deleting software write and re-write the media several times before its considered deleted.

regards

exwintech
03-05-2011, 1:05pm
Sutto - You say you "transferred" them from the SD card to the computer. Do you mean that you had the camera maker's software from the CD installed on Windows or Mac - and that when you "transfer" the images, they're removed from the SD card?

I ask, as I use Linux, and camera makers don't provide Linux software (which would be no cost to the camera makers) for the World's No.2 operating system.

So I've never been able to use the CD software for my cameras, and don't know how that works - as in - whether it "moves" the card's images to the computer - or "copies" them. With Linux, I use a card-reader, which opens on Desktop - and I then "Copy Here" the card contents to a readied directory on the Desktop.

Remove the card-reader from USB port, and, first act - re-copy the new images directory to XHD backup. The images are then in 3 places - Desktop, XHD, and still on the SD card. Before I re-use the SD card, I also backup the "keepers" from the check-through to DVD+RW (I'm starting to use a flashdrive for that, too, now the 8GB ones are more reasonably priced.)

So by the time the SD card goes back into the camera and gets formatted - I have the original set on PC and on XHD, and the keepers on tertiary backup.

This method is cheap, quick and easy to do, and with tertiary redundancy, I haven't lost any images so far.

Regards, Dave.