PDA

View Full Version : holga bw 400

fabian628
01-05-2011, 9:48pm
Bought some holga bw 400 film. Luckly only 2 rolls, i noticed on the negatives small black streaks. Have no idea what this is, never seen it on any other film, and it was vidible on the majority of exposures. :eek:
Anyone know what is going on? I will definately avoid this film in the future! Had some 21 year expired agfa film which did much better than this :rolleyes:

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_371.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_371c.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_353.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/Natural_Defence_Plant2/film/V700_353c.jpg

Ms Monny
01-05-2011, 11:00pm
I am not sure about the streaks but I do know that Holga is a 'toy' camera that isn't exactly precise with its image taking. It is designed to be unpredictable and fun - not serious at all (I have one that I play with) but it can produce some amazing images. Is this film meant to be only used for this camera?? I don't know. Maybe :confused013

StanW
16-05-2011, 8:00am
I'd be wondering if they're abrasion marks on the film. Does the Holga have film rollers?

ameerat42
16-05-2011, 9:29am
Obviously motion blur in #s 2 and 4, just as the swarm of gnats went past.:D

mitgonk
16-05-2011, 9:12pm
did you process these yourself? could it be some scratches or lint from a squeegee or sponge?

jgknight
16-05-2011, 10:39pm
I am just wondering if the light-trap felt where the film comes out of the canister could have dust trapped in the felt. As the film is advanced in the camera, some grit could be marking the emulsion causing the marks. One way to check is to use the camera in portrait mode. If the marks go vertical instead of horizontal, then that is you problem. Scratches in the emulsion of the negative show up as black marks in the positive image.

fabian628
16-05-2011, 10:54pm
I'd be wondering if they're abrasion marks on the film. Does the Holga have film rollers?
I was using this film in pentax 6x7. Some film i shot soon after did not have these streaks, which leads me to think the film is to blame :eek:

Obviously motion blur in #s 2 and 4, just as the swarm of gnats went past.:D

damn gnats are out to get me :D

did you process these yourself? could it be some scratches or lint from a squeegee or sponge?

yes this is home done. no squeegee used. Processed 5 rolls and only the holga had problems! :(

I am just wondering if the light-trap felt where the film comes out of the canister could have dust trapped in the felt. As the film is advanced in the camera, some grit could be marking the emulsion causing the marks. One way to check is to use the camera in portrait mode. If the marks go vertical instead of horizontal, then that is you problem. Scratches in the emulsion of the negative show up as black marks in the positive image.

This holga was 120 film so no felt. The pattern seems quite regular but hasnt shown up on any other films used.

thanks for the ideas. Someone has told me that the holga films had problems when the film was manufactured as well as some other low quality brand. I guess this is a problem that came with the film straight out of box. I definately will not be using this stuff in the future, it is a waste of time just pressing the shutter button :Doh:

donnnnnny
17-05-2011, 3:08pm
dunno about the black lines but its nice to see some grainy asa 400 even if it is very grainy.
i suggest buying a better film such as Ilford or agfa

Doninoz
17-05-2011, 3:25pm
If you have a spare roll not put throught the camera, develop it and see if the marks are on that one...Could help to eliminate the problem...Regards Don

fabian628
17-05-2011, 11:15pm
thanks for the suggestion. fortunately i only bought two rolls which i processed both at the same time. I will not be purchasing any more in the future.

mitgonk
19-05-2011, 2:27pm
on a side note, loving the photo of the pelican!