PDA

View Full Version : Glasses for viewfinder Bifocals don't really cut it.

kexkez
01-05-2011, 5:26pm
Need reading glasses to focus through view finder-
i'm finding this a bit of a struggle as it is as I feel quite cut off from what I am viewing looking through glasses as it is. ( a new thing for me)

What does everyone do? Look continually through the viewfinder to wait for opportunities if looking for interesting candid shots? I can't exactly switch from one pair of glasses
to the other spontaneously.
Would be interested in some advice on this issue also. Thought I'd started a new
thread on this issue just yesterday. Need reading glasses for reading but not
really for all the time but have gone to bi-focals if i want sharp distance now.
This works well except when I need to look through the viewfinder of my camera.
HUbby suggested I turn my bi-focals upside down so I could look through the small
reading section. Works but it's not super practical. Very frustrating when you are
out and about. Just back from Bali this week and I forgot to take reading glasses with
me thinking my bifocals would do the job.
Not so good for photography though as I soon discovered.

ameerat42
01-05-2011, 6:40pm
What a predicament. I used to need distance glasses, but now only readers, for peering at the live view screen (don't have a viewfinder). Normal readers are +1.25, but for the screen viewing - to get critical focus - I have been perching +3.5s on my nostrils. They make your head spin when you look away.

Now all I can suggest is: DO you have a dioptre adjustment on your viewfinder eyepiece? What's your camera? If it does not, then you (used to be able to and) might still be able to get an add-on lens for the eyepiece. It would mean that the eyepice would really only suit your vision. If you are interested, I am looking at what's called a Hoodman Loupe. (Scroll down this E-bay page for a demo http://shop.ebay.com.au/items/_W0QQ_sopZ12?_nkw=hoodman%20loupe&_fromfsb=0&_trksid=m270.l1313)

Good luck. Am.

Analog6
01-05-2011, 6:44pm
What camera do you have - most modern ones have an adjustable dioptre in the viewfinder. Check your manual.

kexkez
01-05-2011, 8:37pm
What camera do you have - most modern ones have an adjustable dioptre in the viewfinder. Check your manual.

Thanks for that I'll check the manual.

Bennymiata
05-05-2011, 3:46pm
Personally, I use multi-focal glasses and don't have a problem.
I just tilt my head a little up or down to get the best focus in the viewfinder.

However, getting a GOOD pair of multi-focals isn't that easy, but once you've found someone that does it right, you'll never look back (pardon the pun).

The diopter adjustment is usually a little knurled wheel just above the eyepiece, and you can rotate it left or right to suit your eyes.

OzzieTraveller
05-05-2011, 9:17pm
G'day KK

Odille is on the mark - have a look at the rear of the eyepiece for a small dial - sometimes a small slider - that needs your fingernail to alter its position
Most cameras have this dial which goes from short sight to long sight settings

To check it out for you...
1- set zoom to max
2- focus camera on object - it will beep
3- look thru v/f and push/twist dial with fingernail till image is clearest

I shoot via hanging my specs off my left ear and using right eye direct thru eyepiece

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil

kexkez
06-05-2011, 8:39pm
G'day KK

Odille is on the mark - have a look at the rear of the eyepiece for a small dial - sometimes a small slider - that needs your fingernail to alter its position
Most cameras have this dial which goes from short sight to long sight settings

To check it out for you...
1- set zoom to max
2- focus camera on object - it will beep
3- look thru v/f and push/twist dial with fingernail till image is clearest

I shoot via hanging my specs off my left ear and using right eye direct thru eyepiece

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil

I've found the diopter adjustment. I had already set it correctly. As soon as I read the info it clicked. I remembered reading about it when I got the camera. I just had forgotten and didn't know the terminology. I will have a bit of a play this weekend coming up. I suspect I need new reading glasses anyway though it could just be reading a few full books with only bifocals have strained my eyes. ( still not sure where my "readers" are)
Thanks for the additional hints both of you.

Bennymiata
09-05-2011, 12:31pm
If you only need glasses for reading, don't use them for looking through the viewfinder, as the eye's focus is almost at infinity.
Wearing reading glasses will only muck up the image you see.

nanwu
10-05-2011, 4:32am
i am so glad this thread was started, I use reading glasses and get really frustrated with taking them on and off all the time while out with my camera. I also am having trouble with focus.....I think i have a lovely clear shot, then when I get home and put it on my computer its blury.....not extremely but enough as to ruin the shot.....I am not sure what to do, i tried the diopter focus thingy on my camera but I just can't seem to adjust it right and because I can't see my LCD screen when i'm shooting (even with my glasses on) I have to shoot through the veiw finder.......I have almost stop taking photo's because i am getting so frustrated with the results......can anyone give me some suggestions please

OzzieTraveller
10-05-2011, 7:00am
G'day nan

You are describing a common experience "with us oldies who need bifocals..."
There is a difference here between getting the camera into focus vs getting a sharp image -
1- from my posting above, make sure than the eyepiece adjustment is as best you can get it
2- focus the camera onto the subject and listen for the "in-focus" beep
3- if the image is still not sharp when viewed on the computer, it very likely is camera shake ... slight shake but just enough to take the sharpness away

Hope this helps
Regards, Phil

Loum
12-05-2011, 12:37am
Hi,
This is great info about the little viewfinder dial - thanks. I am working through the new to photography lesson plan and I notice they suggest I keep BOTH eyes open. I can only do this if I look through the viewfinder with my LEFT eye - but I think they are suggesting I should be using my right eye - when I use my right with both eyes open I can't focus on anything in the view finder as my left eye seems to "take over".... am I doing something wrong? (i tried the dioptre adjustment but it didn't help)
Louise