PDA

View Full Version : Camera photo styles

gje38752
01-05-2011, 12:05am
Canon have 6 different photo styles on their site in the US, some look very interesting. Before I download some of these styles, has anybody had any experience with them, if so what are like?.

Ms Monny
01-05-2011, 12:30am
Sorry but I am a bit naive ...... what do you mean '6 different photo styles'?? What are you downloading??

EDIT::: Just googled it!! Can't help you with that question! :confused013

etherial
01-05-2011, 7:58am
Are you talking about these?? http://www.canon.co.jp/imaging/picturestyle/file/index.html

I've not seen them before, might be interesting, anyone used them? Are they worth the trouble over the basic ones in camera?

Doninoz
01-05-2011, 11:17am
Hi, They are plug-ins for 'Digital Photo Professional' that comes with your Canon Camera. I have tried them and find them too cumbersome. I have better control of all these functions in Photoshop 12 with the Adobe Camera Raw (v6.01) options. In fact I have much more control of things like skin tones, shadows/highlights, fill light, temp/tint etc than with these canon tools. I was even able to fig skin tones and blemishes in the Canon Raw options before opening and saving the following photo to a TIFF file. Of course, if you haven't got Photoshop then one could persist with these free plug-ins.

sufran
01-05-2011, 3:32pm
They're like a preset. I will very rarely use either the "clear" or "studio". Have never applied the others.

gje38752
01-05-2011, 7:22pm
Thanks for the comment, yes they are the ones, just been thinking a couple of them, just to be be a little different, I think I'll try the emerald one for water shots.

etherial
01-05-2011, 9:27pm
Ahh OK, makes sense now. I think I'll stick to Lightroom :D

pollen
03-05-2011, 11:07pm
I'm a Canon user and I hate the image quality I get out of LR and ACR

For me, Canon DPP and its picture styles, specifically Landscape mode, give me far better default images which I can then tweak in Photoshop if required

For example (from left to right, Straight out of camera Landscape picture style, except vignette added; Photoshop desaturated; Photoshop "clarified"):

http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/v23/p512225469.jpg

Anyway it gets the look I want, but your experiences may vary