PDA

View Full Version : Selling Photo

thelastname
30-04-2011, 9:13pm
I received this message in my inbox on flickr.

My name is Tracy and I am a Photo Producer for Appleā€™s Graphic Design Dept. I am currently working on a project to refresh some of our desktop images and screen savers.

We are interested in speaking with you about licensing some of your images. At this point, we are in the early stages of our research, but would like to include this image with our presentation. The rights we would require are:

Worldwide, unlimited, used as a desktop or screensaver option. Image will be imbedded in our products and sold pre-installed in the software. Non-exclusive. Duration of license is 5 years. (timeframe is negotiable)

Please let me know if this is something you would be interested in. If so, please email me at (her.name)@apple.com and I will let you know specifically what images we are looking at.

We will need a high res file of the image(s) for our presentation which is scheduled for Wednesday. Can you provide us with something by tomorrow? We need an image that is at least 3200x2000 @ 72dpi.

Can you please also estimate how much this license would be? Sorry for the short notice, anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best
Tracy

So my questions are:

Do I take this serious?

Has anyone else been approached in this manner?

What do I charge?

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ricstew
01-05-2011, 5:39am
I can't advise you on the price but answer it as best you can and see what happens! Nothing ventured!

Analog6
01-05-2011, 8:04am
Try this stock photo price calculator (http://www.photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm).

Of course you should respond - it may be for real. You'd kick yourself if you didn't. Be open as to price - and ask if the image can have a small embedded logo/photographers name.

zollo
01-05-2011, 2:16pm
by tomorrow? We need an image that is at least 3200x2000 @ 72dpi.

I've never been approached in this manner before, so its not solid advice - but to me the above request does ring alarms. 3200 x 2000 @72dpi is big enough for any desktop/wallpaper, so I'd be cautious. and look at other stock photo sites for a price guide as mentioned above. good luck with it:th3:

Erin
01-05-2011, 2:23pm
"Need it yesterday, send a high-res image now and we'll talk price later" from an organisation such as Apple?

That right there is setting off alarm bells for me, personally.

ameerat42
01-05-2011, 3:44pm
How did they find you? Well? Mm-Hmm??
Didn't say, did they?
(Know what I'd do.)
Am.

johndom
01-05-2011, 9:10pm
If it is a scam, they are probably after your bank details. Give them a serious answer - depending of course on how much you like apple!
I think if you use paypal its pretty much instant (correct me if I am wrong here) and it is the weapon of choice for international transactions nowdays- so you can be prepaid or get a deposit before delivery even tomorrow.
As for price I think the stock price calculator is a good answer. But am i correct in saying that they didnt even specify which photo they want? Thats odd.

ricktas
02-05-2011, 8:42pm
How about making a call to Apple Australia and advising them what you have received and ask if they can (1) verify that the email address and name is an Apple Employee (2) verify that Apple are seeking images for their next desktop images and screen savers. My guess is that someone will soon be able to ascertain if this is for real or a scam.

mercho
02-05-2011, 9:48pm
Agree with Rick, contact them first too find out:

http://www.apple.com/au/contact/

If it wasn't for the fact they are telling you to reply to a direct apple email address (which seems legit) this would be an extremely suss email. Personally, I wouldn't send through any "High Res 72dpi" images, as zollo said, that is more than enough for any digital media presentation, and definitely high enough res for them to use as wallpapers.

This seems very unprofessional if it is apple, especially through a site like flickr...

Fingers crossed, it might be legit and all good, but contact apple first...

mercho
02-05-2011, 9:52pm
Also another point to remember, it is very easy to disguise links.

For example the link may say "tracy @apple.com", but may infact direct you to "xyz @xyz.com" when you click on it, so just be aware of that too...

ricktas
03-05-2011, 6:24am
The e-mail doesn't contain any links (not even to Apple). The only contact information is a mobile phone number which I have tried to look up without success.

what international code does the number start with? Apple is a US based company so it should start with +1, if not you can find lists of the international dialling country codes here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_calling_codes) that will tell you which country you are calling, that should sound a warning depending on the country it is from

Longshots
03-05-2011, 6:43am
In my opinion there is absolutely no chance of this having any credibility. Apple simply would not spend time on something that they could accomplish in more time productive manner. No links, no contact details other than a mobile number is in itself a HUGE warning sign.

Sobriquet
03-05-2011, 1:27pm
Does sound suspect to me, I get similar emails but I am on stock photography sites and they are legit but often without much information as I find small businesses want images for their websites etc and their stationary isn't particularly polished, Apple is not like that. Even larger companies often have marketing firms to do the contacting and it isn't necessarily direct. Don't send any images unless payment is received and use Paypal or something else that doesn't give them any info just in case. Pricing is so complicated, what is it worth to you to deal with them?

johndom
03-05-2011, 8:44pm
I recieved a dodgy email from a workcover email address a few years ago, i rang workcover and talked with the lady whose address it was, she was rather suprised.

PhotoJo
27-03-2013, 7:56pm
*removed - refer to site rules 3-7*

PhotoJo
27-03-2013, 8:59pm
Please explain why my previous post was removed? I was simply stating that I just received the same email and would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of this being a scam or not. The information I posted was with the intention of warning other photographers in case this is dodgy.

jeffde
28-03-2013, 10:29am
spam.... IMO