PDA

View Full Version : Who Watched The Royal Wedding Poll.

PH005
30-04-2011, 8:57am
OK, be honest now. Did you watch the Royal Wedding ?

ricktas
30-04-2011, 9:08am
Not sure how to answer here, I ended up watching maybe 30 minutes of it, in about 5 min lots. I was on AP, channel surfing(there was crap on most channels), and ended up watching "Mrs Browns Boy's" on DVD.. Funniest tv series to come out of Ireland..ever!

Scotty72
30-04-2011, 9:12am
I had more interesting things to do : such as rip out my own toe nails or contemplate how the cost of this wedding (for over-privileged twats) could feed several third world countries for several years.

It is disgusting when you think about it.

Scott

Tikira
30-04-2011, 9:18am
The only thing we watched was the highlights on the news this morning. Just thought it was boring and preferred to be post processing photos from a family shoot at Easter.

Wayne

Ionica
30-04-2011, 9:20am
Fully agree with Scotty.

PH005
30-04-2011, 9:32am
I saw bits and pieces, live. Some of the outfits that people wore gave you a good laugh. I think it was better TV than an "Oscars" telecast. Maybe I should have also polled, " Would you have gone to photograph the wedding " ? :D

JohnRA
30-04-2011, 9:32am
Until the football started.

ricktas
30-04-2011, 9:58am
I had more interesting things to do : such as rip out my own toe nails or contemplate how the cost of this wedding (for over-privileged twats) could feed several third world countries for several years.

Scott

But how much money do the royal family raise for charity? I bet you or I couldn't organise a $2000.00 a head dinner for charity, where we were the guest of honour, but bring a member of the royal family into the mix and you sure can. Whilst I agree about the over-privileged,. I reckon the amount of money they have helped raise for charities over the years would be staggering. There are other over-privileged people out there who don't do anywhere near as much charitable work.

I @ M
30-04-2011, 10:17am
I lost interest in the whole thing when they didn't reply to my email in which I offered to photograph the entire event ----- unlimited images burned to disc for $250.00 AUD ----- considering the state of the pommie economy and all that I thought it was a pretty good offer. :rolleyes:

Scotty72
30-04-2011, 10:18am
But how much money do the royal family raise for charity? I bet you or I couldn't organise a $2000.00 a head dinner for charity, where we were the guest of honour, but bring a member of the royal family into the mix and you sure can. Whilst I agree about the over-privileged,. I reckon the amount of money they have helped raise for charities over the years would be staggering. There are other over-privileged people out there who don't do anywhere near as much charitable work.

I heard a Bristish republican on the radio the other day giving a good counter to that argument.

Now, i don't recall exact figures but, he claimed that the cost of the royal family (civil list, maintaining property, security, etc. etc.) far out-weighs any charitable benefit. The argument is that it is stupid to spent $10 (on the royals) to have those royals raise $5 for charity... better to give the $5 (or $10) to charity. Hard to argue. Scrap the royals and charity could be far better served.

The other self-serving arguments the royals give is tourism. However, of the top 20 British tourist attractions, only the 17th (Windsor Castle) even makes the list.

Yes, their are many other super-priviledged out their - if they have earned their money then it is hard to begrudge them - but if they were simply born into a castle maintained by tax-payers... that is disgusting that they expect others to maintain their lifestyle.

Scotty

PH005
30-04-2011, 11:08am
Rick makes a good point. Star power is a big thing. Just look at how much money governments are willing to pay the likes of Tiger Woods just to appear in a golf tournament. All royal appearances are done for free. I for one do not envy their lifestyle. Under the public microscope 24 hours a day. Even Liz is a tireless worker, now at 81 years of age. Like they say. "It is a job that thay did not choose, and it is for life".

kfroome
30-04-2011, 11:15am
Hi
Seen a few shorts of Mrs Brown, great show, where did you get your DVD from?

ricktas
30-04-2011, 11:26am
I heard a Bristish republican on the radio the other day giving a good counter to that argument.

And there-in lies the issue. Stats and information is so often manipulated to achieve a pre-conceived ideal. I am sure there are plenty of other surveys that put Buckinghuge palace in first place as tourist destination. Sadly a republican is going to state figures that fit his agenda. I agree that the Monarchy is probably out-dated and needs to go, but the reasons are beyond that which is quoted by most republicans. Any one sided view adds zilch to informed debate, it just feeds those that believe it.

Lance B
30-04-2011, 11:32am
I saw some of it. I also agree with Rick and PH005, I think the Royal Family contribute much to the British economy in the way of tourism and in less evident ways that cannot really be measured. Removing them and believing this will somehow cure third world debt or asist any country out of their third world status is fanciful at best.

Ms Monny
30-04-2011, 11:49am
I was at my Grandmothers place, so we had to endure watching it....well, I was into it but my hubby was a bit peeved he couldn't watch the footy (real footy that is - AFL! ;)).

I am not a monarchist BUT I feel that they serve a purpose for Australia and without them, geez, could you imagine us trying to work out who would be President??? OMG, I would hate to think....we can't seem to even get PM right half the time! :D Anyway, not really a political person myself, so I will stop talking now before it gets over my head!! :o

SkattyKat
30-04-2011, 11:52am
I "watched" while browsing the net & "listening" to my partner chattering on about how rediculous it all is ...

PH005
30-04-2011, 12:28pm
I hope I dont sound too one sided, but, put yourslf in their ( the royals ) place. Would you want to see your family heritage suddenly ended ? I can just see William sitting his first born down and telling him/her, " well daddy was going to be a King and you were going to be a prince /ss, but I just drive a lorry now and mummy takes in some washing to make ends meet ". The English Monarchy has stood the test of time throughout the ages and I personally hope they are there right to the end. Whatever that may be .

Scotty72
30-04-2011, 1:31pm
Oh. Poor William will cope.

No one said that ending the dynasty will end third world debt/hunger. I just think that such extravagance should be paid for by those enjoying the extravagance.

As for Australia, how can we still pretend to be an egalitarian democracy when we support a hideous class system in which your choice of parents give a public title etc.

Scotty

Lance B
30-04-2011, 2:00pm
Oh. Poor William will cope.

No one said that ending the dynasty will end third world debt/hunger. I just think that such extravagance should be paid for by those enjoying the extravagance.

The wedding was paid for by the Royal Family. Police prescence and security etc was paid for by the government. However, you'll probably find that they made more out of the wedding that it cost the tax payer with the added influx of tourists, selling of the television rights etc.

As for Australia, how can we still pretend to be an egalitarian democracy when we support a hideous class system in which your choice of parents give a public title etc.

Scotty

Egalitarian? Who said we all wanted to be egalitarian? I don't think that philosophy works.

scotteffone
30-04-2011, 2:57pm

Scott

Not really. They do more for the underprivileged than a lot of wealthy people.

Scotty72
30-04-2011, 4:07pm
Not really. They do more for the underprivileged than a lot of wealthy people.

OK... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then, wait 'til the next referendum :)

Will Oz decide for a republic or to retain the 'bread and circuses' :p

Scotty

I @ M
30-04-2011, 4:23pm
Strangely it seems that this thread has become a republic / monarchy discussion.
For the life of me I never thought it would turn into one, i must be very naive. :rolleyes::D

Thoughts on the subject :

So many recent arrivals in this fair country seem to head here for the better lifestyle opportunities that this country offers as a member of the British Commonwealth.
Many many of those seeking the above mentioned life are fleeing republic based systems in their own country. :confused013

Will Australians actually decide that they want a republic even before they have seen a hint of a constitution for such a model?

Lani
30-04-2011, 4:23pm
It was a piece of history apart from anything else, I am not particularly attached to the concept of the monarchy, but at least with these two things seem to changing for the better, no wedding gifts and money to charity, of which some will come to Oz, for example ( and yes I know they don't need anything, but it hasn't stopped ridiculous gifts being given in the past)

As for the value of the monarchy to the poms, it is their "brand" which works well for them, you only had to see the international media and the amount of Americans, Canadians etc in the crowd.

So I sort of watched, mainly due to the fact that Carlton wasn't playing particularly well early on.:D

Scotty72
30-04-2011, 4:32pm
It was a piece of history apart from anything else, I am not particularly attached to the concept of the monarchy, but at least with these two things seem to changing for the better, no wedding gifts and money to charity, of which some will come to Oz, for example ( and yes I know they don't need anything, but it hasn't stopped ridiculous gifts being given in the past)

As for the value of the monarchy to the poms, it is their "brand" which works well for them, you only had to see the international media and the amount of Americans, Canadians etc in the crowd.

So I sort of watched, mainly due to the fact that Carlton wasn't playing particularly well early on.:D

Americans are even weirder than us; they fought a terrible war against the royals in order to get rid of them: now, they fawn all over them.

Makes you wonder why they even bothered :D

PH005
30-04-2011, 5:02pm
On a Brighter note, I just heard, ( or maybe I just made it up ), that when Harry finally decides to wed it will be in Las Vegas, dressed as Elvis. On ya Harry. :D

Bally
30-04-2011, 10:03pm
On the topic of a republic, I for one couldn't care less if we become one or remain as we are, but I firmly believe that any new model that is written from the ground up by a bunch of self interested social leaders is not going to be better than somethng that has come together slowly over the last 7-800 years.

If they want to replace the gov gen with a person chosen by the opposition, and no other changes, I will listen, anything beyond that, not likely. Frankly, the current government with all of its advisors and access to data couldn't see th eoutcome of changing the immigration policy, what hope has a committee got of coming up with a totally new constitution that will be far sighted and better than what we have today? Not much I would respectfully suggest.

Oh yeah, didn't watch the wedding, although the bride looked happy on the front page of the melb rag, good luck to them, long may they be happy.

Oh yeah, if we all gave up photography we could probably feed a few third worlds waifs too, but I'm about as likely to do that as the poms are of giving up the royals

my .02 percent of the american peso's worth
Cheers

Lance B
30-04-2011, 10:24pm
On the topic of a republic, I for one couldn't care less if we become one or remain as we are, but I firmly believe that any new model that is written from the ground up by a bunch of self interested social leaders is not going to be better than somethng that has come together slowly over the last 7-800 years.

If they want to replace the gov gen with a person chosen by the opposition, and no other changes, I will listen, anything beyond that, not likely. Frankly, the current government with all of its advisors and access to data couldn't see th eoutcome of changing the immigration policy, what hope has a committee got of coming up with a totally new constitution that will be far sighted and better than what we have today? Not much I would respectfully suggest.

Oh yeah, didn't watch the wedding, although the bride looked happy on the front page of the melb rag, good luck to them, long may they be happy.

Oh yeah, if we all gave up photography we could probably feed a few third worlds waifs too, but I'm about as likely to do that as the poms are of giving up the royals

my .02 percent of the american peso's worth
Cheers

Well put and I couldn't agree more.

fillum
30-04-2011, 10:27pm
I preferred to sit in the rain watching my team get beaten :( . (Yes Ms Monny, real footy).

Kym
30-04-2011, 11:44pm
The cost of the wedding was reportedly £20 million. The Australian newspaper Herald Sun estimated AU$32 million for security and AU$800,000 for flowers. Offsetting this, the wedding was estimated to have generated a £2 billion boost for UK tourism

Edit: The CROWS Won!

Tommo1965
01-05-2011, 10:15am
I watched the wedding...and I loved it..I never used to be a royalist..but as I get older I find certain things become important to me..such as tradition and heritage...two things id hate to see diminished by ending the monarchy..

when I was a kid growing up on a council estate in the UK..we all hated the royals....and for some of the reasons that have been bought forward in this thread....and most of it was jealously...as they had more than we did...so why was that?.......i can guarantee one thing ...if the UK didn't have the royals..the man in the street wouldn't be any better off for it..there would be no more money in his pay packet at the end of the week..or any more schools or hospitals built...

take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs

the UK has many faults...but we have something the rest of the world doesn't...our deep heritage, or traditions and our royals..and im very happy to keep it that way

it would have been great to for Diana to have seen her boy marry...:(

Tommo1965
01-05-2011, 10:16am
Edit: The CROWS Won!

it was a good game too..the saints look very sloppy all night....the crows played some good footy and deserved that win

Ionica
01-05-2011, 10:21am
"take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs "
Spain still has a ( constitutional ) monarchy -King Juan Carlos 1 and Queen Sofia.

Tommo1965
01-05-2011, 10:28am
"take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs "
Spain still has a ( constitutional ) monarchy -King Juan Carlos 1 and Queen Sofia.

true..but the monarchy was only bought back in the 1978 Spanish constitution after Franco died in 1975....and it doesnt have the impact that the Queen and the british royals have on a global scale....I bet you had to google who was the King of Spain ??

ricktas
01-05-2011, 10:37am
There is no perfect system, changing one for another, just opens up a new set of problems. Unless it can be shown that being a republic will make Australia a better place for all its citizens, why change? Just changing cause 'we can' is not good enough! I perceive that if we were a republic, I would not be paying less tax, getting a better education, paying less for my power, gas, etc, or at least only seeing rises that are matched to CPI, not 25% increases. Until someone can show me a good solid argument that means a republic will benefit Australia, then I am happy for the status-quo.

Tommo1965
01-05-2011, 10:48am
exactly Rick and well put..

also what would our alternatives be?...paul keating or Bob hawk as a president ..crikey Id pack up and head back to blighty if that ever happens .

lets face it we cant even pick a good PM..what chances do we have to pick a Pres...also how much would that little vote and office cost the Aussie taxpayers..

Ionica
01-05-2011, 10:49am
".I bet you had to google who was the King of Spain ??"
No, I didn't. Spain is one of my favourite countries, for travel, history, music, and I knew that fact. And if I had to look it up, so what - is that a problem? A personal attack on you? It seems you don't like my contribution, and are attacking me. Did England always have a "love affair " with it's monarchs ?

Tommo1965
01-05-2011, 10:55am
sorry but you have misunderstood me...it was not a personal attack on you...my reference to the " I bet you had to google that" was that most people would...sorry if I came across in way that was either patronizing or questioning your Knowledge ., but its clear to me that most people wouldn't have a clue who the king of spain was...I had to google it ..LMAO

BTW
Ive been to spain a few times. and have a brother and Aunt living there....not sure I like the place though

"Did England always have a "love affair " with it's monarchs "...the quick answer to that is NO....and the long answer would still be NO.....and id expect a poll taken today in any high street in the UK to still say NO......but for me..its YES

Ionica
01-05-2011, 11:05am
sorry but you have misunderstood me...it was not a personal attack on you...my reference to the " I bet you had to google that" was that most people would...sorry if I came across in way that was either patronizing or questioning your Knowledge ., but its clear to me that most people wouldn't have a clue who the king of spain was...I had to google it ..LMAO

BTW
Ive been to spain a few times. and have a brother and Aunt living there....not sure I like the place though
Sorry if I misunderstood - another instance of misinterpretation causing problems.:o Everyone sees things differently/looks for different things. I liked Spain a lot, and have visited a few times. :th3:

para
01-05-2011, 11:56am
There is no perfect system, changing one for another, just opens up a new set of problems. Unless it can be shown that being a republic will make Australia a better place for all its citizens, why change? Just changing cause 'we can' is not good enough! I perceive that if we were a republic, I would not be paying less tax, getting a better education, paying less for my power, gas, etc, or at least only seeing rises that are matched to CPI, not 25% increases. Until someone can show me a good solid argument that means a republic will benefit Australia, then I am happy for the status-quo.

Nicely put.
I do believe the royals do bring a lot to tourism to the uk, how many tourists line the pavement for Changing of the guard etc

la lumiere
01-05-2011, 12:58pm
Well back to the original topic - Yep I watched it - loved it - laughed at times - Glad he kissed her twice - laughed again -then REALLY had a good laugh at the cart wheeling verger! :banana:

History in the making -and just for once something actually happy and not depressing on the news.:party7:

Monarchy vs Republican - simply not interested on such a happy occasion.

Just as an aside as someone else mentioned - If we all sold our photography gear an awful lot of people could also be fed/helped --- So , 'People in glass houses (or palaces)...

I thoroughly enjoyed it.....:D

Cheers:beer_mug:
Lal

bobt
01-05-2011, 8:35pm
Unfortunately the poll didn't allow for republicans who like the monarchy - which is where I stand. There are all manner of things which fall under the general umbrella of "we could have built a hospital with that money" argument. The reality is - that just doesn't happen. The money always ends up somewhere else. The same is said about the space program, the Grand Prix etc etc. Personally, I like the fact that the monarchy is a piece of living history which dates back through time in a very real story of the British Empire and our own origins. I have walked through Westminister Abbey and stood at the tombs of the monarchs and historical figures buried there, and it is an amazing experience to see and touch icons of the history we read about as children.

I don't believe we need the Queen as our head - we've moved on, and even though we only have Tony Abbott or Julia Gillard to choose from, we should at least be looking within our own country. Nevertheless, I hope the Monarchy continues on and on and we can continue to have that link with the past and the continuation of a story which has its roots in centuries past. Anyone who has visited the UK and places like Windsor Castle and the Abbey will understand what a buzz it is to see and experience such a fundamental link with our past.

......... mind you, I still think one of my cherished memories of this Royal Wedding is still going to be Pippa Middleton's rear end. :o

PH005
02-05-2011, 12:45am
Bobt, Bobt, Bobt, You were going so well, right up to the last four words. Then you cracked me up. :lol::lol:

Scotty72
02-05-2011, 8:02am
Bobt, Bobt, Bobt, You were going so well, right up to the last four words. Then you cracked me up. :lol::lol:

Suddenly, I think I might watch the damned thing.

JM Tran
02-05-2011, 2:51pm
The wedding was paid for by the Royal Family. Police prescence and security etc was paid for by the government. However, you'll probably find that they made more out of the wedding that it cost the tax payer with the added influx of tourists, selling of the television rights etc.

Egalitarian? Who said we all wanted to be egalitarian? I don't think that philosophy works.

damn straight Lance:)

ving
02-05-2011, 2:51pm
I was busy watching: paint dry/grass grow/having my fingernails pulled out... :rolleyes:

not for me thanks. I am not against the royal family but to me its like crashing a strangers wedding... not my cup of tea.

Mary Anne
02-05-2011, 4:10pm
I watched it as it was in my face across from the table at Dinner time and long after dinner I did not even get on to AP until late that night
So I am Female and I wanted to see what the well heeled draped around their bodies and put on their heads not that I expected Reindeer Antlers though :laughing1:

Bennymiata
02-05-2011, 6:37pm
For the number of overseas tourists that turned up, and the money paid by the networks to televise it, and the sales of food, drink and memorabilia, I think it was very good value for Britain.
Britain has been going through such heavy problems lately, that they really needed something to bring them out of it, and I think this wedding did that, at least for the short term.

These sorts of things are like the Sydney fireworks at New Years Eve.
They cost a lot of money and no-one really needs them, but they bring people together and make them happy, and to me, that is one of the most important things.
Happy people are nice to each other, and we certainly need lots more of this and it helps us to forget our woes.

One thing that lots of people forget is that it is not what the royals DO that counts, but it is what CAN'T be done while they are in power that is important.
As the Queen is the head of the armed forces, theoretically, there can't be a miltary coup while she's in power, and she also has the power to stop any untoward legislation that might harm the British public (and us!). the Royals are the last stop defence for radicalisation of the British Government.

Personally, I watched it all the way through, and was happy to do so, as my home PC was on the fritz, but I did enjoy it to see the people, their clothes etc., and the cars and carriages as well as the pomp and ceremony.
Such a sense of history to see the happy couple in the 1902 carriage, and even William driving Charles's old Aston Martin that he got for his 21st birthday.
By the way, he loves driving it (Charles), and it's been back to the factory for complete re-builds twice now, and currently is running on 85% methanol!

JM Tran
02-05-2011, 9:06pm
For the number of overseas tourists that turned up, and the money paid by the networks to televise it, and the sales of food, drink and memorabilia, I think it was very good value for Britain.
Britain has been going through such heavy problems lately, that they really needed something to bring them out of it, and I think this wedding did that, at least for the short term.

These sorts of things are like the Sydney fireworks at New Years Eve.
They cost a lot of money and no-one really needs them, but they bring people together and make them happy, and to me, that is one of the most important things.
Happy people are nice to each other, and we certainly need lots more of this and it helps us to forget our woes.

One thing that lots of people forget is that it is not what the royals DO that counts, but it is what CAN'T be done while they are in power that is important.
As the Queen is the head of the armed forces, theoretically, there can't be a miltary coup while she's in power, and she also has the power to stop any untoward legislation that might harm the British public (and us!). the Royals are the last stop defence for radicalisation of the British Government.

Personally, I watched it all the way through, and was happy to do so, as my home PC was on the fritz, but I did enjoy it to see the people, their clothes etc., and the cars and carriages as well as the pomp and ceremony.
Such a sense of history to see the happy couple in the 1902 carriage, and even William driving Charles's old Aston Martin that he got for his 21st birthday.
By the way, he loves driving it (Charles), and it's been back to the factory for complete re-builds twice now, and currently is running on 85% methanol!

Well said Bennymiata, couldn't have said it better myself.

For anyone who thinks that was a waste of taxpayers money, do some research about it please.

Even if the government paid for the security and associated costs, the UK news just stated today that the country made something like over 700 million from this wedding event alone, especially from tourism and sales. It was a win win for the UK and the royal family.

kiwi
02-05-2011, 9:09pm
Yip, I agree. I loved watching a million people celebrate rather than shoot or fight each other. A preview I hope of the spirit of the London Olympics next year.

ving
08-05-2011, 2:14am
gravy...

Phil777
08-05-2011, 5:52am
I watched the wedding...and I loved it..I never used to be a royalist..but as I get older I find certain things become important to me..such as tradition and heritage...two things id hate to see diminished by ending the monarchy..

when I was a kid growing up on a council estate in the UK..we all hated the royals....and for some of the reasons that have been bought forward in this thread....and most of it was jealously...as they had more than we did...so why was that?.......i can guarantee one thing ...if the UK didn't have the royals..the man in the street wouldn't be any better off for it..there would be no more money in his pay packet at the end of the week..or any more schools or hospitals built...

take a look at France and Spain..are they any better off for not having their Monarchs

the UK has many faults...but we have something the rest of the world doesn't...our deep heritage, or traditions and our royals..and im very happy to keep it that way

it would have been great to for Diana to have seen her boy marry...:(

Yes, Tommo1965, tradition and heritage are important to the people of a nation. I am an Engish Australian.

As I understand it, members of the Commonwealth are legally bound to remain members.

Personally I did watch the Wedding and noticed its strong Christian tradition. They even sung hymns.
Let us hope and pray that the newlyweds have a long and fruitful marriage.

As we saw, the crowds flocked to the wedding. I believe there is a yearning amongst the public for
Diana's son William, and maybe too his new wife Catherine, to become what Diana was to them -
someone who cared openly for others much less fortunate than herself; someone with integrity
who openly showed love to others.

PH005
08-05-2011, 9:42am
Nicely said Phil777.

PH005
08-05-2011, 9:43am
gravy...

You're starting to worry me Ving. :eek: