PDA

View Full Version : Off camera flash

chrisbevan4
30-04-2011, 7:02am
Hi

I am seeking some advice in regards to which Flash to get for my D90.

I am interested in using it Off Camera and for some family portraits.

Was looking at the Nikon Sb700 but $500 here in OZ

But I have found there are a few alternatives available and usually cheaper

ie. I found a Sigma EF-610 for $165

Thanks

fastr1red
30-04-2011, 7:34am
Hi Chris,

I have both the SB-600 and the SB-900. The 900 is far more versatile than the 600 and seems to provide better TTL feedback.
It would just be a matter of experimenting with different brand flashes though. Set to manual and bracket exposures. I can get great results from either flash in manual mode and correct positioning.
I'd say the EF-610 should be fine, you'll work out its limitations and adjust position/EV etc to suit.

I now use the SB-900 99% of the time due to ease of use, but the others come n handy if the need arises. (I have some older flashes that I can bring into service anytime)

Cheers
Theo

Sclarke
30-04-2011, 1:59pm
I dont see myself using the flash a lot although there are times where I could have used one. So how musch I spend to cover my needs is important . Have seen The Nissin Di866 flash which looks to have good features. It's nearly have the price of an SB-900, a viable option?

agb
30-04-2011, 2:13pm
I have been looking at the Nissin Di866 too, seems to have all the features needed. It is going to be my first choice when I get around to it.

phototyke
11-05-2011, 9:21am
do the off brand flashes have full CLS/iTTL capability with Nikon cameras?

fastr1red
13-05-2011, 1:11pm
do the off brand flashes have full CLS/iTTL capability with Nikon cameras?

Only the Nikon flashes have the CLS and iTTL, some others are ok with normal TTL.
None of my wireless triggers have either so I use manual mode anyway, no TTL required.
You can still use them as master/slave combos though.