PDA

View Full Version : beach and rock pool photography

harper
29-04-2011, 10:29am
hi all

im planning to head to the Sydney Coastline for some beach and rockpool shots in the near future and i was wondering if it would be essential to have a neutral density filter to capture the movements in the water?

i currently have a circular polariser filter which i think will help but just not sure if it is well suited to what i intend to capture

any help with this is appreciated

Darey
29-04-2011, 10:57am
The usefulness of a Polarizing filter and/or Neutral Density filter will depend on the time of day you shoot, the light conditions at that time (sunny or cloudy) and what you are shooting.

A polarizing filter will help you take glare and reflections of any water in your scene and sometimes helps to provide better color in your shot.

There are 2 types of Neutral Density Filters: 1/. Plain ND filters and 2/. Graduated ND filters.
1/. Plain ND filter vary in light blocking strength from 1 stop up to 10 stops. If you are going to buy one I would recommend a 3 stop to start with (personal choice only). Use of these filters allow you to use slower shutter speeds and will help you to get that smooth look in flowing water.
2/. Graduated ND filters also vary in light stopping strength also but the major difference with these is that they vary from the full rated light blocking strength at one end to no light blocking strength at the other with the mid section being the light blocking transition point. These filters are used to balance bright areas (ie: sky) with dark areas (ie: rocks, water or bush) to allow you to achieve a balanced exposure. Most often used in landscape and early morning sea scape shots.

Let us know when you come to Sydney and some of the local AP togs might meet up with you and provide assistance.
I hope the above summary helps.

harper
29-04-2011, 11:46am
thanks Darey

i was hoping to get to newport this weekend but i think im working now. but i would be keen to have a meet up if that is at all possible withing the next few weeks