PDA

View Full Version : Which camera bag do you use?

JasonR
28-04-2011, 11:24pm
Hey guys,

Im in the market for a new camera bag. Just wondering what you guys use and or recommend as i need to upgrade to fit my new sigma 150-500mm lens.

Cheers
Jason

DAdeGroot
28-04-2011, 11:37pm
I'm using a Tamrac Expedition 8, which is both too large, too small and just right at various times. ;-)

JasonR
29-04-2011, 12:11am
Great looking bag DAdeGroot. I was looking at the lower flipside 400 aw or the lower computrek cant make up my mind.

Wobbles
29-04-2011, 10:59am
Hi Jason,
as Dave alluded to, unfortunatelly there is no "Perfect" bag for all purposes. Depends on how much gear you have and/or need to carry at a particular time and in what sort of situation. Backpacks are good if you need to carry heavy gear over a longer distance, Shoulder/Sling bags are best for quick access, Satchel type bags are most discreet etc. I'm up to 3 different bags, all excellent for their purpose, but still not completely happy... and I'm sure there are others here that have even more!

This is a great site http://www.cambags.com that has reviews by "real" people and shows exactly what you can fit in a particular bag.

Good Luck.
John

kazdez
29-04-2011, 11:42am
And if you are female, which you are not, there is never a perfect bag to take the dslr plus lenses, if you are going to town and what to look like a lady and not a backpacker. I have 4 bags and none seem to fit the situations I go to.

If some one could create the perfect bag they would be rich.

JasonR
29-04-2011, 5:04pm
Cheers for that link john.

Haha i do have the please of not trying to match my bag to my outfit.

Lear
29-04-2011, 5:11pm
i won a lowepro primus aw backpack camera/video bag a few weeks ago! trouble is - it's a fantastic bag, can fit slr and 3 lenses- i'm only a five foot nothing female who weighs @ 50 kilo and the bag weighs nearly 3 kilos with nothing in it!! so I think I will put it on ebay!! i definately need a new bag though as i just purchased a 2nd lens last week!!

rbat
07-05-2011, 4:38pm
I have a Portare bag and it is wonderful, very comfortable and great compartments that are adjustable. The price from the US is fabulous also.

abitfishy
07-05-2011, 4:45pm
I use a Slingshot 200 for going light (still fits camera with one lens, 1 medium and 1 small spare lens, flash, filters and a few bits an pieces, but is small and light). For taking a lot of stuff I use a CompuTrekker AW which fits a tonne of stuff as well as a laptop and tripod. Brilliant.

Blueywa
23-05-2011, 5:25pm
I have a few bags, the main ones are both Larger type Lowepro's - a Slingshot 302AW and Nova 200AW and wouldnt fancy modifying either of them to carry my Sigma.
I have the 150-500 and generally just carry it in the case/bag that it comes in as it is well protected and it doesnt take long to get it out and attach to a body.
Just my 20cents worth ;)

FallingHorse
23-05-2011, 5:34pm
I use a Slingshot 200 for going light (still fits camera with one lens, 1 medium and 1 small spare lens, flash, filters and a few bits an pieces, but is small and light). For taking a lot of stuff I use a CompuTrekker AW which fits a tonne of stuff as well as a laptop and tripod. Brilliant.

I have the exact same setup and find it suits my purposes. No desire to change it at his stage.

richardb
20-06-2011, 3:41pm
KATA bags 3N1-20 and 3N1-30 http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=432&Version=Photo
I use the first one for short trips.

terry.langham
20-06-2011, 4:15pm
Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 loaded with 3 lenses and body plus bits and pieces. This comes to work everyday, and occasionally houses a 17in laptop as well.

I also have a Tamrac Expedition 8 that I found a bit too big for my needs, so is now up for sale. Eventually I would like a belt and vest system for 'phototrekkin' and days when I have to cart a bag for long periods, as the Urban Disguise gets a bit heavy on one shoulder and I don't really like having to remove a backpack every time I need a filter or different lens.

Ms Monny
20-06-2011, 10:32pm
Oh, thank god others have more than one bag!! I just bought a new one - a National Geographic canvas bag which fits my body and two lenses, plus some filters etc. I think it will be perfect for my holiday, even if it is a tad too small.

I also have a lowenpro backpack BUT it is so stupidly made because I have to put the whole thing on the ground to unzip the whole front part just to get something out! I thought it would be good to bike around on but I haven't used it much because of the stupid design.

I don't think you can have too many bags because there is the 'walk around with not much gear' bag, the medium bag for a couple of lenses for a day trip using a tripod, the 'I am on a big holiday and need to take a few extra things that I normally wouldn't take' bag and the 'I am taking EVERYTHING' bag!!!! Maybe it is a female thing!! :D

kiwi
20-06-2011, 10:35pm
I have a few too, pelican 1610, pelican 1520, a lowepro minitrekker, another bag that just fits in one body and lens and a large domje bag that carries all the bits and pieces, oh, and a cheap toolcase that's fill of spare bits and bobs

J.davis
20-06-2011, 11:01pm
I have a Lowpro 400 aw for everyday use and a lowpro 250 for overseas tripping ( holds two lenses and the camera plus some added gear for piccy taking (netbook included) and holds the daily stuff I like to carry around).

jim
21-06-2011, 1:45am
Some people strongly recommend that you use a bag you can strap around your waist, so that you can grab your equipment when you need it. As opposed to a backpack, where your stuff is inaccessible.

Me, I use a backpack and just dump it on the ground when picture-taking looks likely.

enduro
21-06-2011, 1:58am
Lowepro 400 AW, a couple of Lowepro toploaders and a cheap case I won. the 400 is a hihhly recommendable pack if you anticipate carrying a few lenses and a tripod.

mechawombat
21-06-2011, 3:32am
I have a Kata bag stuffed into a Roman backpack

Analog6
21-06-2011, 7:00am
What do you mean - bag? Whichever fits the purpose. Usually a hard case though for the H2 & 50-110 as it is very heavy and I like to give the lens form support.

para
21-06-2011, 9:52am
I have a think tank airport acceleration v2 and a speed belt with modular components.

triptych
21-06-2011, 9:53am
For the ladies who like to accessorise check out these bags

Epiphanie

Jo Totes

Kelly Moore

virgal_tracy
21-06-2011, 10:38am
I currently use a Kata 3n1-30 and like the flexibility it offers in terms of sling bag for easy access when still attached or as a traditional backpack. I have a couple of smaller bags which contain all of the accessories but I am about to pull the trigger on a Tamrac Ultra Pro 13 (http://www.tamrac.com/5613.htm)for when everything has to go with me and for better storage.

I can then change in and out of the Kata anything I need for day tripping.