PDA

View Full Version : History Alive, 11th and 12th June 2011

davearnold
26-04-2011, 9:25pm
I am planning to go to History Alive link (http://www.historyalive.com.au/home.html) , from people who have gone previously is one day enough, or is it worth going both days?

If you went only one day which would be the better day?

Are there many people going to this?

Cheers Dave

larrywen
27-04-2011, 10:23am
Thank you Dave for the information. It looks a good place for family.

Allen has done lots of shoots there, he must know what is the best option.

My family will high likely come to this event on Saturday. Maybe I can catch you somewhere in the "History Alive"

darkbhudda
28-04-2011, 1:09pm
Whether it is worth going for both days will depend on what events you want to see. One day is enough to see German tanks, renaissance sword fighting, Roman gladiators, Medieval combat, American Civil War re-enactors, a Colonial Australian camp with people playing traditional games, WWI skirmishes and much much more. It was a very impressive site to stand on the hill and see a multitude of tents and encampments from different eras.

I went last year and had a great time. This will be my first year with a DSLR.

Allann
28-04-2011, 7:28pm
Either day is good, Saturday is a rehearsal for some of the reenactors, but you'll see a lot either day. I, along with a couple of others here will again be the official photographers so will be there both days. So many opportunities for photos you'll still miss shots if you go both days.

Here is a link to both years I've been: http://www.allannielsenphotography.com/Events/History-Alive

agb
28-04-2011, 8:50pm
Thanks for the link Allan, thats a nice lot of shots you have there and it does look very interesting.

DAdeGroot
28-04-2011, 9:16pm
I too will be there as an official photographer this year: http://clients.degrootphotography.com.au/HistoryAlive/

As Allan said, either day is good. Crowds vary each year, but it's never as busy as The Abbey Tournament. There's plenty to see and several cannon firings on both days (first at 10am!).

agb
28-04-2011, 9:42pm
What happens about parking out there?

Allann
28-04-2011, 10:17pm
AMple parking in the paddock next to the main arena.

Analog6
29-04-2011, 7:48am
I'm planning on going - if I can find a backyard to park my sleep in van overnight in it will be both days but if I can't probably Sunday.

andylo
29-04-2011, 8:31am
I think me and my family will come

Sezzy
04-06-2011, 4:16pm
Sounds like it might be a good plan...my partner will get a kick out of the combat stuff, and I get to take photos...win win here! Thanks for the link! :)

davearnold
05-06-2011, 9:05am
Wow, this has come up quick and is now next weekend, at this stage me and Kerri (kadon) are definate for Sunday, and possible for Saturday, seeing how we feel after we get back from Bridge Climb and subect to a couple of family things.

Cheers Dave

Allann
05-06-2011, 6:50pm
i'll be at the bridge climb and at both days at HA. Will be a good couple of days, but probably need a holiday afterwards.

GregoryH
05-06-2011, 7:09pm
I'm hoping to get there on Sunday (with the new toy). I see they are forecasting showers for the weekend. Could make things a little interesting...

agb
05-06-2011, 8:04pm
I'm hoping to get there on Sunday (with the new toy). I see they are forecasting showers for the weekend. Could make things a little interesting...
Bit more than just showers, they are forecasting showers with rain later and on Sunday rain. Does not look the best of conditions, however I will leave it to the last minute to see what it is going to be like.

aquafish
10-06-2011, 9:26am
Not going to HA this year but have done so the past 2. Both times have been on a Saturday. One day for me was ample.

davearnold
10-06-2011, 11:34am
The forecase weather has made a change of plans, and now hope to go Saturday with some mates ( so photography may not be as much a focus :) ) hope fully rain will not come in until later in the afternoon.

Will decide then Sunday if to go again, based on Weather, and if I feel there is more to see.

Cheers Dave

Allann
10-06-2011, 4:00pm
No rain on Saturday for the bridge climb then straight to HA where again we will have no rain. Sunday, I don't mind, as that will be the portrait day, hope to setup a mini studio inside one of the halls??

agb
10-06-2011, 5:04pm
No rain on Saturday for the bridge climb then straight to HA where again we will have no rain. Sunday, I don't mind, as that will be the portrait day, hope to setup a mini studio inside one of the halls??
You are very positive about that Alan, and I hope you are right. I will still reserve my decisionabout HA until the morning.

Allann
13-06-2011, 10:40am
Ah, what a weekend. No rain on either day, though it got quite wet during the night for the re-enactors. Here is a shot from the late night canon firing that was put on specially for the re-enactors and photographers.

If you would like to see more from the weekend I will be uploading them all week, but this is where you can find them: http://allannielsenphotography.com/history_alive/2011

davearnold
13-06-2011, 10:43am
I made it only on Saturday, next year, definately both days, can't wait now for the Medieval festival.

Possibly my best shot from the day.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt322/daveais/IMG_6152asSmartObject-1asSmartObject-1.jpg

This and other I took on my flickr page

Cheers Dave

darkbhudda
17-06-2011, 5:08pm
Went on the Sunday at the end of the day, caught up with re-enacting friends, took photos and purchased one of the drinking horns I had eyed up last year. Good times.