PDA

View Full Version : What song reminds you the most of your growing up years (The Teens)

Roosta
26-04-2011, 1:39pm
Cleaning the house at the mo and have the wifes 600 watt PA a little loud, but thats ok, shes not home. LOL.

It gets me in the cleaning zone, armed to the teeth with items like, but not limited to,

The Vacuum,
The Mop and Bucket,
The micro fibre cloths,
The magic spray to get the crap off the walls the kids can apply with ease.

And believe it, a male multi tasking, I put the clothes wash on and did the washing up whilst it was washing the clothes, I know, I know, Girls, don't you all wish.

So that leads me to my question, What song or piece of music takes you back, you have to stop, get a sly grin on your dial and say, yeap, how did I survive those days????

Well for me, Rock Lobster by the B-52's just came on, it takes me back to my days in Sydnay as a reckles Teen. How about you ?

Love to hear what you find rocks or rolls or country's your western in life, or do you have that classical feel about you.

Do tell.

William
26-04-2011, 1:57pm
A long time ago in another era when I was young (About 13 from memory) Surfing at "Kirra Point" They had a thing called beach Radio, This reminds me of those days , Sitting on our Boards in the hot summer sun, Great memories , A song by the Tokens, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" http://youtu.be/_LBmUwi6mEo , Wonder if anyone remembers it - Bill :D

Roosta
26-04-2011, 2:11pm
Sure do mate, gess, been covered a few times now too, great song, did you have a good sing alond whilst researching it on You tube ??? I'll bet you did.,

William
26-04-2011, 2:21pm
Sure do mate, gess, been covered a few times now too, great song, did you have a good sing alond whilst researching it on You tube ??? I'll bet you did.,

Yep !! Good on ya Roosta, Now I cant get it out of my head :lol: :th3:

ameerat42
26-04-2011, 3:43pm
Greensleeves, by Henry VIII. (:D)
(Well, almost.)

PH005
26-04-2011, 4:36pm
The One, The Only, Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepp.

Mary Anne
26-04-2011, 4:39pm
Well when I was a Teenybopper and used to go down to the local coffee bar and feed the jute box not much in portable music those days
My money was spent on Blue swede shoes as I owned a pair, I used to sing it all the time :D

PH005
26-04-2011, 4:42pm

I am listening to it right now while sipping on a nice cold Carlsberg.

mudman
26-04-2011, 4:45pm
for me it would probably be Bill haily ' rock around the clock'.
they don't make em like that anymore.

Darey
26-04-2011, 5:13pm
Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers.
Those slow dances to this at the end of the Wool Shed dances, oh what memories.

Derek-C
26-04-2011, 7:58pm
Stones,Dylan,Hendrex,Beatles :th3::th3::th3:

Anything of that erea.

Derek

Mark L
26-04-2011, 8:20pm
Well for me, Rock Lobster by the B-52's just came on, it takes me back to my days in Sydnay as a reckless Teen.

That whole album was excellent.
My teens were also spent a little recklessly in Sydney, and no one song can sum it up. Mainly loved Oz pub rock. Oils, Chisel, INXS, Hunters, Angels, Jimmy and the Boys, Matt Finish, Sports, split Enz,Radio Birdman, Hitmen, and, and,and, you get the idea:).......and the beat goes on

triptych
26-04-2011, 8:37pm
mmm Pink Floyd...their music inspires me and always has. Alot of my photography is inspired by their music. I love a band that sound better live than in studio, and Pink Floyd are one of the best at it!

ricktas
26-04-2011, 8:42pm
Anything by E.L.O - for those that don't know, it stands for Electric Light Orchestra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Light_Orchestra)

dbax
26-04-2011, 8:51pm
oh soo many, but for a specific memory every time I hear the Mamas and the Pappas " Flowers in your Hair" takes me back to Collaroy beach NSW. So strong, I see it , I feel it, I smell it, I hear it ....scary but great memories

Roosta
26-04-2011, 9:40pm

Nice, love the Sydney 1973 extended version, kicks on and rocks.

Roosta
26-04-2011, 9:42pm
Well when I was a Teenybopper and used to go down to the local coffee bar and feed the jute box not much in portable music those days
My money was spent on Blue swede shoes as I owned a pair, I used to sing it all the time :D

Pevlic thrusting my dear Mary Anne, Good one you.

Roosta
26-04-2011, 9:45pm
Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers.
Those slow dances to this at the end of the Wool Shed dances, oh what memories.
The old fav, that once where full of a nice coupla cold ones or a bottle of red/white, this little ditty always comes on and we always seem to kill it, don't we all. Timeless song.

Stones,Dylan,Hendrex,Beatles :th3::th3::th3:

Anything of that erea.

Derek

Nice, love your work, sounds like my iPod.

Roosta
26-04-2011, 9:46pm
Not the Brumbies Team Song, Not that we hear that much lately anyway, glad you had a second choice mate. LOL

My old man loved the old Bill, God rest his sole.

Ms Monny
26-04-2011, 9:47pm
Hmmm....Jimi Hendrix, The Cult, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden was my influence when I was in my teens. Having older brothers helped me, I guess! :D

I then went on to INXS, the Angels, ACDC etc etc etc!!!!!!!!

Roosta
26-04-2011, 9:47pm
That whole album was excellent.
My teens were also spent a little recklessly in Sydney, and no one song can sum it up. Mainly loved Oz pub rock. Oils, Chisel, INXS, Hunters, Angels, Jimmy and the Boys, Matt Finish, Sports, split Enz,Radio Birdman, Hitmen, and, and,and, you get the idea:).......and the beat goes on

Still remember the first time I say Radio Birdman, New Race has stuck with me since, Aloha Steve.

Roosta
26-04-2011, 9:49pm
Anything by E.L.O - for those that don't know, it stands for Electric Light Orchestra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Light_Orchestra)

Hay Rick, Did you get into the Travelling Wilburrys ? Geff Lynn went onto them didn't he, the Big O and so forth ??

Roosta
26-04-2011, 9:51pm
Hmmm....Jimi Hendrix, The Cult, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden was my influence when I was in my teens. Having older brothers helped me, I guess! :D

I then went on to INXS, the Angels, ACDC etc etc etc!!!!!!!!

and another play list from my iPod, weird. Love your work Ms Monny.

Ms Monny
26-04-2011, 9:53pm
Love your work too, Roosta! How about coming over and doing my housework for me....my hubby thinks we need a cleaner! :lol:

jim
26-04-2011, 9:58pm
Elvis Costello, Pump It Up. An odd one I know, but there you go.

Brian500au
26-04-2011, 10:00pm
when I first got my drivers license I had the cassette "Bat out of Hell" full blast every where I went - when that died I replaced it with "Hotel California" - still got both the albums on the IPOD.

Roosta
26-04-2011, 10:46pm
Love your work too, Roosta! How about coming over and doing my housework for me....my hubby thinks we need a cleaner! :lol:

Even followed it up with a romantic smooch on the beach this arvo, how romantic. I'm going to be sick. :rolleyes:

Roosta
26-04-2011, 10:47pm
Elvis Costello, Pump It Up. An odd one I know, but there you go.

Nice Choice Jim, Even his wife is a great Jazz singer Diana Kroll.

Roosta
26-04-2011, 10:48pm
when I first got my drivers license I had the cassette "Bat out of Hell" full blast every where I went - when that died I replaced it with "Hotel California" - still got both the albums on the IPOD.

Brian, here I am thinking you'd be more of a "You can leave your hat on" type of bloke. Work wise that is.

jgknight
26-04-2011, 11:03pm
Good grief! I was alive before the birth of Rock and Roll when the fast stuff was "In the mood" by Glen Miller. The best thing ever for young kids back then was the birth of Rock and Roll. Our parents hated it so it belonged to the young!

ausguitarman
26-04-2011, 11:57pm
Anything from The Angels and early (Bon era) AC/DC :th3:.

Captured frame
27-04-2011, 2:26am
George Harrison - My sweet lord - always had a soft spot for that guitar solo in it. Still brings back teen memories whenever I hear it.

ricktas
27-04-2011, 6:41am
Even followed it up with a romantic smooch on the beach this arvo, how romantic. I'm going to be sick. :rolleyes:

Do you need/want to get some new camera gear?:D

Ms Monny
27-04-2011, 8:19am

OMG! You are a 'keeper'! :D Your partner/wife is one lucky girl!!!

JohnRA
27-04-2011, 8:28am
Good grief! I was alive before the birth of Rock and Roll when the fast stuff was "In the mood" by Glen Miller. The best thing ever for young kids back then was the birth of Rock and Roll. Our parents hated it so it belonged to the young!

Ahhhh !!! ..... Someone from my era at last.

No one particular song, but Glen Miler was a favourite, along with Buddy Clark, The Weavers & many others. Great times, great music.
Just took delivery of some CD's from those days from Amazon & they take me back to the "Good Old Days" .... :th3:

chamellieon
27-04-2011, 12:39pm
Korn - Got The Life
because I'm a young'un

old dog
27-04-2011, 1:41pm
gee, hard to pick a favorite as I hit the teens early in the 60`s. `Maybe Whiter shade of pale`...Procol Harem....OR..... `Substitute`......Who.........OR......anything from the Beatles.:th3:

Ionica
27-04-2011, 1:42pm
Too many. Definitely " Unchained Melody ", Them ( Here comes the night ),Stones; Beatles etc; from earlier times - Ben E. King and the Drifters , The Platters - "Smoke gets in your eyes" - used in the film " American Graffiti " , released 1973.

terry.langham
27-04-2011, 3:11pm
Just when I was beginning to feel old, I stumble on this thread and feel young again :p

'Smells like teen spirit'-Nirvana, 'Do the Evolution'-Pearl Jam or anything off 'The colour and Shape'-Foo Fighters would be the most obvious but I was also listening to 'The Doors', 'Pink Floyd', Eric Clapton and Cream, Hendrix et al. Oh and almost forgot The Ramones and their many pop punk clones.

Roosta
27-04-2011, 10:41pm

Hay Noddy, my good wife is a Jazz Singer, she loves Glen Miller, also a sucker for Peggy Lee, Ella Fitgerald and Frank Sinatra. I love it when she gets up on stage and bangs out the old big band sounds, 12 piece band backing up, great stuff.

And as I see it, your still alive and kicking. Good on ya mate.

Roosta
27-04-2011, 10:43pm
Anything from The Angels and early (Bon era) AC/DC :th3:.

Eckles or Angus hay, tought decession.

Roosta
27-04-2011, 10:45pm
Do you need/want to get some new camera gear?:D

No, but now that you mention it, a 1d Mk 4 or even dare I type it, A DX3 would be nice.

Still, the canon would be the pick. Even Steve Wonder would back me there.

Cheers mate.

Roosta
27-04-2011, 10:45pm

I just showed her you post, hugs and kisses your way Ms Monny.

Roosta
27-04-2011, 10:47pm
Ahhhh !!! ..... Someone from my era at last.

No one particular song, but Glen Miler was a favourite, along with Buddy Clark, The Weavers & many others. Great times, great music.
Just took delivery of some CD's from those days from Amazon & they take me back to the "Good Old Days" .... :th3:

John, try Fishpond.com.au, Aussie site, better exchange rate, better stock, free delivery. Cant go wrong.

Cheers mate. BTW, Nice camera. :th3:

Roosta
27-04-2011, 10:49pm
Just when I was beginning to feel old, I stumble on this thread and feel young again :p

'Smells like teen spirit'-Nirvana, 'Do the Evolution'-Pearl Jam or anything off 'The colour and Shape'-Foo Fighters would be the most obvious but I was also listening to 'The Doors', 'Pink Floyd', Eric Clapton and Cream, Hendrix et al. Oh and almost forgot The Ramones and their many pop punk clones.

Someone has stolen my playlist of the iPod again, Nice camera mate ... :th3:

peterb666
27-04-2011, 11:29pm
I haven't grown up yet, but as songs, childhood and influence there would be stuff like "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed, "House of the Rising Sun" The Animals version, "Wild Thing" The Troggs, "Its Good News Week" Hedgehoppers Anonymous, "Who Put the Benzedrine in Mrs Murphy's Ovaltine" Harry (the Hypster) Gibson, "Mercedes Benz" Janis Joplin.

Gemini2261
28-04-2011, 12:48am
"Julia" by Pavlov's Dog for me is the most memorable... just :love: it

Gemini2261
28-04-2011, 12:56am
OH, & "Anarchy" by the Sex Pistols...hehe :D

Roosta
28-04-2011, 2:05am

Nice. Lovely sweet music. Rotten I know.

virgal_tracy
28-04-2011, 10:21am
INXS - Original Sin
ACDC - Who Made Who & You Shook Me all Night Long
Billy Joel - We Didn't Start the Fire
Cold Chisel - Goodbye & Flame Trees
CCR - Run Through the Jungle
Hoodoo Gurus - like wow wipeout
Huey Lewis - I want a new Drug

All of these take me back to a different life & times.

ksolomon
28-04-2011, 12:28pm
Wow some great bands and songs within this thread. Mine would have to be "wish you were here" Pink Floyd, it reminds me of my brother learning to play the guitar (over and over and over again) the other that brings it all back is Sherry by frankie valli and the four seasons every time I hear this song takes me back to watching the movie Big Wednesday - such a classic

wanderer51
28-04-2011, 12:34pm
Lots of people here showing their age!...and I am no exception:

Sunshine of Your Love - (and just about anything else by) Cream
Almost everything from The Beatles, Rolling Stones and The Who.
But the stand out, the one that really brings back childhood memories would have to be Eric Burdon & The Animals - When I was Young (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur30bn_3G58)

Damn! There really hasn't been any decent music since the 60s!
(I'll duck for cover now.)

peterb666
28-04-2011, 3:20pm

Outstanding. I didn't go into my punk & new wave years as technically I was sort of out of my 'growing up' years and into my 'growing out' years.

la lumiere
28-04-2011, 5:14pm
Where do I start.....?

Eagles, Beach Boys, Mamas and the Papas, Beatles, Bee Gees, Carole King, Billy Joel, Neil Young, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, America, Joan Armatrading, Chicago, Supertramp, Neil Diamond :o , Kenny Rogers :o ............I'll take a breath now.........ELO, Jethro Tull and ...........lots more.

Roosta
28-04-2011, 9:51pm
Where do I start.....?

Eagles, Beach Boys, Mamas and the Papas, Beatles, Bee Gees, Carole King, Billy Joel, Neil Young, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, America, Joan Armatrading, Chicago, Supertramp, Neil Diamond :o , Kenny Rogers :o ............I'll take a breath now.........ELO, Jethro Tull and ...........lots more.

Got them all cover there mate, gessss, lots of great tunes coming from those names listed...

Roosta
28-04-2011, 9:53pm

Brought myself a new Dyson DC23 Turbine VAC today, I hope it works as well as me LOL, Not F@@Ken cheap any more, may be I should have got a cleaner... LLOOLL.. :)

pjs2
28-04-2011, 10:22pm
For me it's
God only knows by the Beach Boys
and Single Bed cant remember who sang it though.

fastr1red
28-04-2011, 10:31pm
The list just goes on and on,,,,it's great.
I was brought up in a cafe with a Juke Box in the 60's, then ended up as a tech for that same company from 1979 to 1990. If I wasn't repairing Juke Boxes and Pinball Machines I was changing the records every 2 to 4 weeks.
I grew up with all the top hits from the 60's right through to the 80's and 90's and still have most of the singles in my shed.
Very hard to say,,,Jon English Hollywood Seven, David Essex Rock On, and so many others bring a certain memory back.

DAdeGroot
28-04-2011, 10:35pm
Gawds, way to make a guy feel a lot younger than he is ;-)

My teen years involved Dire Straits, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Ice House, Faith No More.

Mark L
29-04-2011, 10:12pm
and Single Bed cant remember who sang it though.

Nousha Fox

pjs2
05-05-2011, 9:53pm
Thanks Mark L

And if memory serves she was Nousha FOXY. :cheeky33:

Roosta
06-05-2011, 8:28pm
Gawds, way to make a guy feel a lot younger than he is ;-)

My teen years involved Dire Straits, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Ice House, Faith No More.

Gesss Dave, Ice House (Flowers) to FNM, well, theres some spread there.

Top work mate...