PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: SB800

broc
26-04-2011, 12:42pm
I was given an SB800 by a friend (he changed brands) which I use with a N5100 in a digiscoping set-up. I haven't done much digiscoping in a while and I was wondering if there was anyway I could use the SB800 with my Canon camera? I looked through the internet and found adaptors for lenses but I haven't come across any for interchanging flash units. Any ideas?

arthurking83
26-04-2011, 4:08pm
I highly doubt it, but if you send me the SB800(for an indefinite period) I may be able to do some tests to see if it is at all possible to convert :p

seriously, I can't see any need for such an adapter.. BUT!! the SB800 is able to operate in a remote mode. That is, can be triggered by a slave unit mounted on a camera, like another flash.

if you set it to remote mode, where you press and hold the [SEL] button for 2 seconds and set it to remote mode maybe it can read the flash of a camera mounted flash and work(in some way) :confused013

really have no idea on whether a proper Nikon flash system is required to operate the unit in remote mode.

Do a google search for Flash Hot Shoe PC Sync Adapter for Canon to Nikon E5J, and according to that search this device enables the use of a canon flash on a Nikon body.
Wrong way around, I know, but if it exists for Canon flash to Nikon body, the chances are that something will be available in reverse order too!.. even if it a generic adapter that connects via the PC sync port for any external flash.

I @ M
26-04-2011, 5:00pm
Best way to run it is to buy a radio transmitter / receiver off camera in fully manual mode.
The Yongnuo RF602 (http://protog.com.au/wireless-flash-triggers-c-58.html) ones work well, you could buy a Canon trigger and a Nikon receiver and use them that way.
Otherwise any of the "dumb" trigger receiver combinations will work just without quite as much range.
If you are happy to have a little extra light in your shot you can set the SB800 to SU4 mode and trigger it with the built in flash on your camera, once again as a fully manual setup off camera slave flash.

broc
27-04-2011, 1:30am
Thank you Arthur and Andrew for your very helpful replies.:th3::th3: I shall look into both of your suggestions.
Once again much obliged.