PDA

View Full Version : Not A Time For Flash ?

PH005
24-04-2011, 9:36am
I will be attending, and helping out, at our Dawn service tomorrow morning here on Macleay Island. Will be taking my camera with 24-70 and maybe monopod for some support ( slow shutter speeds ). I would never consider useing a bright flash unit, as I feel that this is not the time or place to create a distraction from a high powered flash going off. I am mainly talking about the part of the ceremony around the war memorial itself. The guard of honor and such. Would like to hear your thoughts on this topic.

accesser
24-04-2011, 9:42am
I agree, Perhaps if the light is low just shoot high ISO and use your monopod the grain would make some nice B&W shots anyway

Ionica
24-04-2011, 9:46am
I suppose it depends on what the organisers/participants want from it ,in the way of photos. If you haven't already done so, maybe discuss it with them. I feel the same as you at such an occasion, but if flash was required and consented to,would consider using it.

PH005
24-04-2011, 9:54am
I agree, Perhaps if the light is low just shoot high ISO and use your monopod the grain would make some nice B&W shots anyway

Just what I had in mind Jason. Thanks.

PH005
24-04-2011, 10:00am
I suppose it depends on what the organisers/participants want from it ,in the way of photos. If you haven't already done so, maybe discuss it with them. I feel the same as you at such an occasion, but if flash was required and consented to,would consider using it.

Thanks Ionica. Good points. I am just taking shots for myself, but hopefully if any are worthy I would like to get printed and give to the local RSL branch. I also feel that even if consent is given you should respect the other public persons there on such a sombre occasion.

accesser
24-04-2011, 10:08am
I've used a monopod before in similar low light shoots they do let you shoot that bit slower best of luck wit the shoot.