PDA

View Full Version : Saving Metadata to TIFF/JPEG using CS5

Jaded62
24-04-2011, 7:54am
Stupid question I expect but I can't find the answer in CS5 Help or online.

I want to preserve the metadata when I save my RAW files as TIFF (for post processing) and JPEG (for posting on the web). I understand that ACR will create an XMP file but surely there's a way to preserve the EXIF data in the TIFF or JPEG file?

Or have I got it all confused?

Cheers.

Damo77
24-04-2011, 8:09am
It's ok, ACR doesn't remove EXIF data. Once you open the image into Photoshop go to File > File Info, and you'll find it's all there.

Actually, it's harder to remove EXIF data than it is to preserve it :)

When you use File > Save for web and devices, you'll find there are various options for how much data to preserve with the file. You get a choice of none, all, copyright only, etc. It's all in a drop-down menu in the interface - you'll see it.

ricktas
24-04-2011, 8:10am
when in CS5, make sure your photo is in 8 bit mode and use FILE SAVE AS to include the EXIF with the JPG. If you do not have your file in 8 bit, you will not have the choice of JPG from the drop down list.

As far as I am aware TIF files include EXIF automatically.

Note that FILE SAVE FOR WEB will automatically remove EXIF data, unless you adjust the settings in the FILE SAVE FOR WEB screen, to include EXIF

Jaded62
24-04-2011, 5:29pm
Thanks guys. I work in 16 bit and use "Save for web" to convert to JPEG. Now found the Metadata dropdown option.

Cheers.

peterb666
24-04-2011, 5:42pm
For TIFF I seem to recall you need to save as uncompressed to keep the metadata. When you have finished with your TIFF files and want to export to the Internet or for distribution, then use File and Save As