PDA

View Full Version : travel advice needed

robz
23-04-2011, 6:30pm
Has anyone gone to Vietnam and/or Cambodia with their kit?
I have had conflicting comments about safety of carrying backpacks and camera gear in general.
Is it just the same as traveling anywhere else overseas or are there some special things to consider?

If anyone has traveled with their gear to these countries, I would greatly appreciate some of your experiences.

rob

Brian500au
23-04-2011, 10:30pm
Hi Rob,

I have travelled many times through Asia including Vietnam and Cambodia will a full kit of gear. As with anywhere just be careful what is hanging off your shoulder, and in general just keep your wits about you. I try to travel with a non descript camera back pack, and have never ever been troubled.

My only advice to you is look carefully at the kit you are taking with you as it is so easy to overload yourself with heavy camera gear. If you are back packing around Asia and need to leave camera gear in hostels, cheap hotels (without safe) or travel on sleeper trains then I would highly recommend getting a steel mesh (forget the brand name for the moment) to thow over your gear and lock to a solid object. It is just piece of mind.

robz
24-04-2011, 8:35am
thanks Brian
Luckily I have a plain back pack which i bought in Bankok a few yrs ago which has taken me through Europe, NZ and asia.
I agree with you about taking light kit, but in a way I can't afford too much anyway:(
The steel mesh is a good idea if we do that sort of traveling.

I'm glad to hear that its no worse than any other country in the region.
rob

Ionica
24-04-2011, 10:25am
Second the advice about carrying gear in an inconspicuous pack. I travelled with my gear in a very plain (good quality ) backpack (lined with foam ) and never had a problem. On overnight train trips I used it as a "pillow", which worked well.

Brian500au
24-04-2011, 12:08pm
thanks Brian
Luckily I have a plain back pack which i bought in Bankok a few yrs ago which has taken me through Europe, NZ and asia.
I agree with you about taking light kit, but in a way I can't afford too much anyway:(
The steel mesh is a good idea if we do that sort of traveling.

I'm glad to hear that its no worse than any other country in the region.
rob

If you have travelled Asia in the past, Cambodia / Vietnam are no different when it comes to safety. You can get yourself in trouble anywhere if you try hard enough. The steel mesh is made by pacsafe - they are great insurance.