PDA

View Full Version : What do you with your RAW files AFTER workflow is completed?

AutumnCurl
23-04-2011, 1:54am
What do you with your RAW files AFTER workflow is completed?

I am still trying to workout which method is best/preferred.
I am also in the process of trying all different programs :)

Do you turn them into large .jpeg and upload them to flickr etc.. or tiff..PSD?

Thanks
:th3:

Damo77
23-04-2011, 6:32am
I keep them, most of the time. I keep the Raw file, the XMP file, and the edited PSD file. I don't keep any Jpegs, as a rule. (Trash those jpegs! (http://damiensymonds.blogspot.com/2010/02/trash-those-jpegs.html))

ricktas
23-04-2011, 7:55am
Keep em. You never know when you might get asked..' ooh, can I have a black and white copy of that' etc. Or what if you learn a new processing technique in 12 months time, and think, "oh I know what photo I would love to do this too". Working from the original RAW file gives you a great starting point for the new version.

When/if you ever shot with film, you always got a negative, your RAW file is your digital negative, and you can make heaps of copies/prints from your digital negative, so keep them, back them up.

I keep my RAW file, a TIF copy of any good edited versions and a small jpg.

Xenedis
23-04-2011, 8:37am
Raw files are basically digital negatives.

I always keep my raw files.

I end up with four files after finishing the post-processing of a single image (assuming I don't blend multiple exposures);

IMG_XXXX.CR2;
IMG_XXXX.XMP;
IMG_XXXX Processed.PSD; and
IMG_XXXX Processed.JPG.

Brian500au
23-04-2011, 11:01am
I am import my raw into LR and also on a back up hard disk. I start the initial edit in PS, and save back to LR (now I have a raw and tiff in LR), I further edit in LR and then output a small jpg for web upload. I now have a TIFF, 2 Raw (1 as backup) and a jpg. I am not too worried about the jpg as I can reproduce it anytime from LR.

screamer
25-04-2011, 8:56pm
I keep all my RAW files and XMP files after processing in Lightroom. Generate jpgs if I need them. Keep all the RAW, XMP and Lightroom CAT files on a RAID 5 NAS, local drive and a remote USB drive.

Kym
25-04-2011, 9:23pm
Keep the raws!!

dbax
25-04-2011, 9:25pm
Yep keep em :D

ApolloLXII
25-04-2011, 9:29pm
I always keep my RAW files which get copied to an external hard drive as well as a disc along with the final post processed version saved as a TIFF.